The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Which do I need to know?Is there an arpeggio for every chord?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Based upon your questions . . you should be learning how to spell out chords and understand intervals. If you have a good instructor, you'll be learning all of these things together, along withthe arps. As for which ones you should learn . . . learn all of the ones you don't already know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by flugel
    Is there an arpeggio for every chord?
    Arpeggio is defined as the notes of a chord, played one at a time. Does that answer your question?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Arpeggio is defined as the notes of a chord, played one at a time. Does that answer your question?
    Yes!!

User Info Menu

As mentioned above, an arpeggio is just a chord played one note at a time. This means that there's not a corresponding arpeggio for each chord, but rather that any chord can be arpeggiated simply by playing it one note at a time. There are patterns for this that make arpeggiating easier than it is from a basic chord shape (though this works, too). For example, if your root is on the 6th string, you usually play both the 3rd and 5th degree of the chord on the 5th string- impossible to do from a chord shape (one note per string). Sounds like a little theory knowledge would help you better answer this question for yourself. Knowing how chords relate to scales will help you figure out why the whys and wherefores of chord shapes and arpeggios. Don't feel like you have to learn a years worth of theory to start playing jazz- a little goes a long way, as this newbie has learned from several pros on this forum. This knowledge will help you leverage the knowledge you already have- most of this stuff is built right into the major scale that you probably already know. Good luck, and keep asking questions!

Quote Originally Posted by AlexArkansas
    As mentioned above, an arpeggio is just a chord played one note at a time. This means that there's not a corresponding arpeggio for each chord, but rather that any chord can be arpeggiated simply by playing it one note at a time. There are patterns for this that make arpeggiating easier than it is from a basic chord shape (though this works, too). For example, if your root is on the 6th string, you usually play both the 3rd and 5th degree of the chord on the 5th string- impossible to do from a chord shape (one note per string). Sounds like a little theory knowledge would help you better answer this question for yourself. Knowing how chords relate to scales will help you figure out why the whys and wherefores of chord shapes and arpeggios. Don't feel like you have to learn a years worth of theory to start playing jazz- a little goes a long way, as this newbie has learned from several pros on this forum. This knowledge will help you leverage the knowledge you already have- most of this stuff is built right into the major scale that you probably already know. Good luck, and keep asking questions!
    Thanks, now I understand it much better.

and what about scales, I know there are some like the bebop, whole tone, harmonic, melodic, etc...Which are a must and what are they used for?

I got so many questions!
    Last edited by flugel; 09-29-2013 at 12:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Again, this is coming from a relative beginner (who did start with some theory knowledge, however), so listen to others if they contradict me. Here's what's helped me: don't get caught up in these scales at the onset. What you are trying to do is build a solid foundation that will make each next step easier to understand. The question is: do you understand the idea behind the modes of a major scale? Here's where that little bit of theory I was talking about will pay off. Every diatonic chord (chord within a given key/no chromatic notes) is built from notes within the major scale. In the key of C, the G chord is a G7 (a major chord with the 7th degree flattened a half step) because the seventh note of the C major scale, counting forward from the note G, is an F, not an F#. Take any note of the C major scale as your root, and count up to find the 3rd, 5th, and 7th diatonic note up from it. This will give you the most important notes contained within that root's chord in the key of C major. Figure out which ones are major, minor, and half-diminished. Remember, these notes also give you your basic arpeggios. To construct the modes of this key, all you do is fill in the 2nd, 4th, and 6th notes- easy if you've already gotten your arpeggio shapes down. Learning the modes of the major scale will give you all of the 'right' notes within a key. This will make learning these other scales easier in the long run, as you'll just be making some of the 'right' notes 'wrong'. It will also give you the tools to start jamming over a simple chord progression, which makes these wrote exercises enjoyable. This is the bare-bones basic stuff one needs to know to start playing jazz, I think. If it's over your head, ask for clarification or find some resources that explain basic chord construction.

Thanks Alex.

Yes I understand modes, I'd like more info about the other scales and their uses

i.e, if I am not mistaken the diminished scale works well over dominant altered chords.I'd like to know tricks like that.

User Info Menu

Learn the major scale first(which you can convert to melodic minor by lowering the third). Within the major scale is the minor scale(which you can convert to the harmonic minor by raising the 7th).

You can see how the major scale is the foundation, and that by learning that scale first, you can build upon what you know by just changing one note. Take C major:

C,D,E,F,G,A,B

Lower the third, this gives you C melodic minor:

C,D,Eb,F,G,A,B

The A-minor scale is found within the C major scale, just starting the scale from A instead, establishing A as the root note:

A,B,C,D,E,F,G

Raising the seventh of that scale gives you A harmonic minor:

A,B,C,D,E,F,G#

These four scales are allegedly the most common and most used, although personally I rarely use the natural minor and harmonic minor but prefer dorian and melodic minor over these.

So if you'd ask me which scales to learn. I'd say: First learn the major scale and all its arpeggios. Then lower the third of the major scale to get your melodic minor scale. Now learn the arpeggios for that.

These two scales can take you very far. Learn the different usages for melodic minor: lydian dominant, altered and locrian nat2. Then you can proceed to other scales.

Then learn the dominant diminished scale(half-whole scale). Learn the four different triads in this scale that can be major AND minor(this will blow your mind).

Then learn the whole tone scale. This one is very simple to learn, but doesn't have much usage. Sounds weird and out of place for the most part.

Then learn the Symmetrical Augmented scale and the three major triads within it that can also be minor(this will blow your mind even more).

At last, you can learn the pentatonic scale if you want. this is achieved by taking your major scale and removing two notes, the 4th and 7th.

User Info Menu

Buy this book and join our study group:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/impro...ead-index.html

Obviously one book doesn't cover it all but I am very impressed by this one. I know that when I finish the book I'll be a much better player than I am today.

The study group is brilliant too. Just read the posts.

User Info Menu

Based on what I can gather about your current "place" I'd not muddy the water trying to look for "tricks" with scales. Get a good understanding of the chords and their arpeggios first...they give you plenty of information.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Liarspoker
    Buy this book and join our study group:

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/impro...ead-index.html

Obviously one book doesn't cover it all but I am very impressed by this one. I know that when I finish the book I'll be a much better player than I am today.

The study group is brilliant too. Just read the posts.
    I'd highly endorse the recommendation for the OP to really investigate this book.

It's not a perfect, all-encompassing method, but it's a very good, self-contained and logical progression of manageable lessons for someone exactly in the OP's position. There is a lot of work involved, but if one takes the time to honestly follow the instructions and apply the lessons of each chapter, good results are promised.

User Info Menu

Learn major scales all over the fretboard so that you can hear a melody and play it. Then learn some tunes.

User Info Menu

Scales - its best to learn all of those listed below. There are others too of course.

The order in which you should learn them is a matter of opinion. In my opinion you should learn the pentatonic and major scales right away. After that, two new scales every 6-10 weeks. (example: whole tone and melodic minor, then half-diminished and harmonic minor, etc.). If you need more time, take more time. Always learn them in all positions, and all keys.

1. Pentatonic - Minor
    2. Pentatonic - Major

3-5. Diatonic:
    - Major
    - Melodic Minor (jazz version)
    - Harmonic Minor

6. Blues

7-9. Symmetric:
    Diminished & "Half Diminished" (whole half, half whole)
    Whole Tone

10. Bebop

Quote Originally Posted by fumblefingers
    Scales - its best to learn all of those listed below. There are others too of course.

The order in which you should learn them is a matter of opinion. In my opinion you should learn the pentatonic and major scales right away. After that, two new scales every 6-10 weeks. (example: whole tone and melodic minor, then half-diminished and harmonic minor, etc.). If you need more time, take more time. Always learn them in all positions, and all keys.

1. Pentatonic - Minor
    2. Pentatonic - Major

3-5. Diatonic:
    - Major
    - Melodic Minor (jazz version)
    - Harmonic Minor

6. Blues

7-9. Symmetric:
    Diminished & "Half Diminished" (whole half, half whole)
    Whole Tone

10. Bebop
    Thanks.

I have a lot to study!!!

User Info Menu

to get a more comprehensive answer, look at the Guitar handbook at the guitar department page at Berklee School of Music. Exam Levels 1-4.

Hint. They don't include Blues or Bebop if I recall, but do include Harmonic Major.

They list arpeggios there a well.

User Info Menu

Learn the scales and arps in this book:

http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=QjLt-VQplC0C

User Info Menu

I always wonder why jazzguitar.be is so rarely recommended as learning material source. I dont think it's any worse than any other. There are chords, arpegios, scales, licks, ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vladan
    I always wonder why jazzguitar.be is so rarely recommended as learning material source. I dont think it's any worse than any other. There are chords, arpegios, scales, licks, ...
    Right, here's the link:

Free Jazz Guitar Lessons | Learn How To Play Jazz Guitar