The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 46 of 46

User Info Menu

I started getting serious at 40. I wish that I had had the Internet and a good teacher at 15, but I'm content. For me, the journey is the important aspect. Also, I'm thoroughly convinced that my journey will take decades - and I'm going to enjoy it.

Cheers,
    Evan

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If this were a competition, I have the other posters beat. I started at 44. Started understanding some of it at 45.

Best of luck. FWIW, jazz has been good for my health, particularly my brain.

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard chenzhi810, have fun and enjoy your stay here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    I got my first jazz lesson aged 38.
    That is truly remarkable given the high level of your playing. I remember your great videos under "#####" at RMMGJ. That was you, right?

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick5
    That is truly remarkable given the high level of your playing. I remember your great videos under "#####" at RMMGJ. That was you, right?
    Yes Rick, that was me. I stopped posting there a few years ago. What name did you post there under?

User Info Menu

I think people associate learning with being young because young people generally have more time on their hands to learn.

definitely has more to do with the amount of time and quality of practice over age. I hope so, I started when I was a ripe old 20 :P

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Yes Rick, that was me. I stopped posting there a few years ago. What name did you post there under?
    I didn't post much - mostly lurked. I still post there once in a blue moon under "Rick". Years ago, it may have been under Rick H. I do remember your videos very well. They were one of the highlights of the newsgroup!

User Info Menu

Definitely not too late, not even close, BUT you will find that over the next 10 years your life will get exponentially busier in general. In 10 years, you will not be able to abuse yourself with all-nighters or being in a constant sleep debt. You will have to become increasingly financially independent, etc...and so the point I'm trying to make is that you must really try to take advantage of the next 5 - 8 years. I'm sure money is tight, but seriously you need to hook with a teacher so that you don't waste time. I wish I had started when I was 20. I think I started wandering into the jazz thing when I was 30. I shudder to think how much better I'd be if I'd started at 20...

User Info Menu

I started playing guitar at 18 and discovered jazz at around age 20 & learned it on my own, and became fairly proficient within a few years, and this was before the internet. Still playing and studying, and enjoying jazz guitar 20 years later and there is still more that I don't know, than I know.

User Info Menu

So then . . . all of these wonderful attempts at offering comfort to the OP, because she chose to start learning jazz guitar at the "advanced old age" of . . . 20 years old. Very nice of you all. Is someone going to have the courage to tell her how long she'll be studying and playing before she stops learning?? The joy of jazz guitar is that the learning lasts a life time.

WOW, man . . . . at 20 years old I didn't even know the difference between a 4 string bass guitar and a six string guitar!! When I did learn that there was a difference, I had no idea that there were different guitar disciplines and skills associated with different genres of music. I mean . . . if the guitar was in tune, you just figure out the key the song was in and play . . . . right???

To the OP; young lady . . . you have no idea what an advantageous position you're in, to begin the never ending quest of proficiency in performing jazz guitar at such a young and tender age. Enjoy the ride . . . and be true to yourself and your tastes in music.

User Info Menu

chenzhi810, Welcome to the best Jazz guitar forum on the net!

I REALLY, I mean, REALLY hope you aren't too old at 20 to start something I didn't start until I was 50!!!!!! I figured it would take me 10 years to learn how to play Jazz, and then I would have (hopefully) another 10 years to play it. You have a 30 year head start on me so jump into it.

don't listen to people who tell you its hard to do, listen to the people who tell you how much fun it is and help you to figure it out and you will be fine!!!!

User Info Menu

I have students who started playing after they retired as a new hobby. So I'd say at 20 you've got nothing to worry about! Granted people who have been playing since they could hold an instrument will have a certain advantage over most people, but you can learn anything if you put your mind to it.

User Info Menu

I can't find the quote now, so I'll paraphrase (maybe someone else can find the exact quote and correct me if I'm wrong): Bill Evans said the he felt like he didn't play anything of value for others to hear for the first 12 years after he started playing improv jazz.

And Lenny Breau said "it takes years. I've been playing for 25 years and I feel like I'm only just starting to develop my own style.".

The full quote in context is well worth taking a few minutes to listen to on YouTube: search for "Lenny Breau Talks Part 1".

Cheers,
    Evan

Hey guys,

Just here to say thank you for every of your comments and suggestions!
    For sure I'll find the pleasure in learning Jazz and enjoy it for the rest of my life.

Chenzhi

User Info Menu

I believe Wes Montgomery started on guitar at age 20, so I wouldn't worry about your age, just get back to practicing like a maniac!

User Info Menu

I didn't really start understanding jazz until I turned 30.

User Info Menu

I've been playing guitar since I was 12 or 13 and even studied classical guitar on the conservatory. Stopped playing altogether when the kids where small and after dabbling in jazz for about a year or so I just had my first proper jazz lesson last week! I'm 42!

I think there's two sides to jazz: to improve you have to study and practice a lot (theory, technique, listening to other musicians) and do things that perhaps at first don't feel intuitive.
    Then there's also the side that's perhaps best illustrated by this zen parable: it's like you have to jump over a gap that seems very wide. You try and you try, but you never have enough speed to actually make the jump. Then when at last you do and land at the other side, you look back only to see there was no gap at all!

Or something like that anyway

It's about having fun and as long as you're having fun learning you're never to old for anything!

User Info Menu

Glad you decided to stay the course chenzhi810, and yes I was being slightly flippant, as I really thought there was a good chance of you being a troll, as most of the posters who ask that question here are considering starting in retirement; however, irony may be a kind of humour that doesn't transfer well into forums.

About the health aspects, there were two that I was thinking of: the disproportionately high rate of drug and alcohol related illness and death in the jazz world, including Emily Remler, quite probably the best known female jazz guitarist; much more common is the damage to the nerves in the hands, arms and wrists that have wrecked quite a few players' aspirations to become professional - if these people have invested all their education and career into music then they really do have a serious life problem not just a health problem - there's a thread about this kind of health issue on this forum.

I realise you're not planning to go professional, and believe me 20 is not too late to start playing even if you want to be pro, but all of the major players that I can think of offhand (and this is directed at some of the other posters on this thread, not at you) started well before 20 - including Wes Montgomery who started at 12I think on tenor guitar - you can hear the effect of this on his approach to jazz guitar - Wes also had 2 older brothers who were pro jazz musicians and fast-tracked his learning; and Tal Farlow who started playing at 8 I think on ukele which significantly influenced his harmonc approach to jazz guitar as he says himself in an interview which is probably on youtube. I particularly like Wes and Tal as they had no formal musical education, and approach music in a completely non-academic way, unlike.... oh no I won't say it.....

As for those that say jazz is a great big happy family, maybe they'd like to review the abuse that's been slung around this forum in the last couple of days (not in my direction).

User Info Menu

Today it's my birthday, I'm now 51 and after playing classical guitar, mandoline, banjo and bouzouki, I'm thinking I'll start with jazz. I'm now on the right side in my life to uderstand the music

Quote Originally Posted by fidem
    Today it's my birthday, I'm now 51 and after playing classical guitar, mandoline, banjo and bouzouki, I'm thinking I'll start with jazz. I'm now on the right side in my life to uderstand the music
    Happy Birthday!!!

Start it right now and enjoy it for the rest of your life!
    I have no solid foundation so I guess I'll have to start from 0...Actually I'll turn to 19 this year, not 20 yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Does this guy know how to PARTY or what?
    Imagine if his name was sunnysidedown.

The only time it's too late is when they lower you into the ground and shovel dirt on you. If you can find a good teacher, it will hasten you along in your journey.