The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 48 of 48

User Info Menu

Here's an easy one. Put an ear training web site as your home page.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I get home from work around 5:30 - 6:00 and go to bed around 10:30 - 11:00. It's usually pretty easy for me to get in 2 hours with my hands on the instrument during that period (not counting breaks). During the breaks, I'll read some theory, use earmaster pro, or something like that. I'd prefer to get in about 3 hours, but that has to wait until weekends. 2 hours feels a little less than ideal to me. No TV. I watch 1-2 hours per month tops.

User Info Menu

+1 for the silent guitar, I can practice regularly from 11.30pm to 1 or 2am, although at that time I work more on the technical side. It's difficult to get through chord changes when you lack sleep...

User Info Menu

When I started playing the guitar two years ago I only gave myself one rule:1. Pick up the guitar every day.It doesn't matter if its for 5 minutes or five hours. Even for just five minutes practicing some scales or memorizing the notes on the fretboard is worth it.One thing I did to make it easier is that my guitar sits on a stand next to the couch. If I sit on the couch I put the guitar in my lap. Sometimes my wife may give me a funny look if she is watching something important like "The Real Houswives of OC" or something like that. Then I just sit there practicing chord changes without strumming. Just switching back and forth.Don't ever think its not worth it since you can't get in X amount of time. Any amount of time is worth it, YOUR A GUITAR PLAYER MAN!!!

User Info Menu

there you go brian...

time on the instrument...

User Info Menu

Silent guitar?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by chancho
    Silent guitar?
    Yamaha Silent Guitar

User Info Menu

Something tells me this is much less silent than my Tele played unplugged.

User Info Menu

I find the steel model equivalent to any solidbody guitar indeed (except the onboard preamp with effects and headphones output). If you have an heavy picking hand, people will hear it, but if you comp fingerstyle it is fine.

User Info Menu

What about dynamics?
    You have to be flexible and modulate your picking strength.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sjl
    What about dynamics?
    You have to be flexible and modulate your picking strength.
    Sure, but it doesn't change the fact that if you pick hard, for practicing purposes or any other reason, your slg will be heard...

User Info Menu

There are some other things that I forgot to mention. I often--probably more than half the time--do two or more things at once. So for example, I just finished this thing on secondary dominants, but it gave me a chance to memorize 7 harmonic minor patterns and how the arpeggios for the dominant chord fit into those scale patterns. So arguably I did three things at the same time. The downside is that things sometimes feel like they are moving slowly. But the upside is that what I am doing is tightly integrated. Or another kind of example. I do a fair bit of "composition", but I routinely try and motivate it with some bit of theory that I just learned. So the next thing I write may very well be something that uses harmonic minor and/or the relevant secondary dominant (III7).

Another thing is not fighting the flow. There are three parts to this and this applies if your day has some flexibility. 1) So you are practicing but there is some biggish outside interruption. In that case, rather than be frustrated, I think it is better to just switch gears to other things and return to the music later. 2) Or, more interestingly, if you hit some difficulty internal to your practicing, if all other things are equal, I think that is the best time to stop for the time being. Your mind will work on it in the background, then it often will seem easier when you come back to it later. 3) If you are really making some breakthrough, then cancel all the other things you have to do; if necessary, lie and call in sick, whatever it takes to really flesh out what you have discovered.
    Last edited by jster; 12-14-2012 at 04:34 PM.

User Info Menu

Two of my three kids sleep in the same room so after the wife and/or I have finished reading them bedtime stories I play them guitar.

I ask the eldest ( nearly 5 ) which key I should play in and he mostly picks 'sharp' keys ( A sharp, C sharp etc ). Makes it interesting.

Then when they are asleep my wife lets me noodle on for a while so I get half an hour in that way.

I usually try for a little extra at various times throughout the day. Usually when the Mrs is out......ssssshhhhh.

User Info Menu

I enjoy practicing late at night. It's quiet and the interruptions are fewer. {Honey this honey that etc etc} Just me and my favorite audience Biscuit the dog. O course I'm retired and if I want to sleep during the day, I can. Sometimes I go all night, if there's nothing going on the next day. [Honey this etc etc] I can divide my time usefully.

User Info Menu

I'm all with you, although I don't practice, but rather create. Late night creation/ playing is why I mostly use Tele, although I'd rather X-155.

User Info Menu

Answer ............ don't watch the TV

User Info Menu

I totally agree. I do most of my composing and more creative stuff in the evening. Biscuit never cares if I make a mistake or 2. I'm also fortunate because I don't have any neighbors very close, so I can use my amp at a lowered volume.

JM

User Info Menu

Lucky guy. In Europe, we're stuck in flats, so kid's just 5m and a plaster wall from me, therefore I'm all direct to mixer and on headphones. I don't even have a real amp at home.

User Info Menu

Living in the country has advantages and disadvantages. Gigs are harder to come by, but the peace and quiet help the serenity both for playing and living. TV is my enemy.

JM
    Last edited by jazzman1021; 12-16-2012 at 10:21 AM.

User Info Menu

I am retired from the Engineering world and am now enjoying an active jazz musicians' life. I usually practice early in the morning for a couple of hours (very quiet here at that time) and spend some time studying and practicing new concepts.

wiz

User Info Menu

I get up before work and try to squeeze in an hour or two. Some days are better than others, of course. I used to play at night, but that doesn't work for me.

User Info Menu

I try to do as much in the morning before work as I can, then some more at lunch hour. But even evenings when one is exhausted can be useful if they are used for the right material - which I believe to be more creative concepts (exploring new ideas). Or just chill and listen to jazz, which is important!

User Info Menu

Good point about night practice. I often kick myself, because there was a time when I had hours to practice. I used to manage an apartment complex, and during that time, I was able to take advantage of several hours of downtime to play. Looking back, I probably wasted so much time work on the wrong things. I should've been training my ears, learning tunes, transcribing, etc. Instead, I spent a great deal of time working on scales. You live and learn, I suppose.