The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 49 of 49

User Info Menu

Cheers.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Finished! I've now completed recording all 25 pieces from Adrian Ingram's 25 Graded Pieces for Plectrum Guitar (Hampton Music Publishers). You can hear and download them all for free on my website:

Plectrum Guitar Rob MacKillop ~ banjos, guitars, lutes and more

User Info Menu

My favourites [I've never uploaded mp3 files here, so let's see if I pass the initiative test...]

Number 15 - Tomorrow by Richard Coby
    19 - Choro by Ron Moore
    21 - Tonadilla by Adrian Ingram (have fun learning this one!)
    24 - Impromptu by Ron Moore

User Info Menu

Hey, Rob, that's a great resource, thanks!

Glad you enjoyed Tonadilla - I know I wouldn't! Now I know which tune to miss. Every book needs a tune to miss, I think.

I hear Choro quite differently - I want a strong accent on that beat, and then to play it as a rag.

Tomorrow and Impromptu are quite beautiful. Thankyou for sharing the recordings.

User Info Menu

Cheers. I look forward to hearing your ragged choro! As with all these pieces, I play them slightly different each time, sometimes radically differently. Music to play with, as well as play.

User Info Menu

Yep, me too.

User Info Menu

Hometime by Adrian Ingram (#11).

https://www.box.com/s/610e37f8ba2c6caa0359

Each of these seems to have one nightmare chord.

What I realised listening to Rob's mp3's is I really like the stumminess of this style of playing. I've been trying to get that relaxed, 'I don't care' strum followed by a ringing melody note.

User Info Menu

Not bad at all, TLT. Lots of good things in there, but I have a couple of suggestions. Ignore them or not :-)

1. Try rest strokes on the chords with the highest note on the second string, so that the plectrum stops against the first string. I say this because sometimes the top note of your chords lacks a little in confidence.

2. This will improve as you get to know the piece better, but I think it is too slow. The phrasing is in two bars, a kind of Home and Away, a gentle swing (not swing as in jazz swing, if you see what I mean) between two-bar phrases.

3. I smiled in sympathy with your hesitation over the chord in Bar 19. Are you using the written fingering, or trying something different? Flattening the second finger over three strings takes some getting used to, but is of great importance to jazz fingering and phrasing. Persevere. It will come.

Good, though, so well done! Anyone else want to give it a try?

User Info Menu

Hi Rob, thanks for commenting. I would never ignore you.

1. The rest strokes - this is fairly much what I have been attempting, just not always getting it.

2. & 3. For that chord, I am using the written fingering (don't see what else I could use). That is as quick as I can get it. I could play the rest a little faster, but then the hesitation would be even more marked. I hear the phrasing just as you describe.

I will keep at that one, as it is an easier version of the last card that Leavitt dealt me.

User Info Menu

Hi everyone,i have got this book on order,do you think it is good supplementary material for MMFG .Adrian ingram lives in my home town,and i often get to see him play small pub gigs,and believe me they do not come much better than this guy.If anyone has not heard of him there are some you tube videos of him although sadly many are poor quality sound, but his playing is of the highest quality.I also own a dvd of him playing at Wakefield Jazz with John Pissano,and would recommend that to anyone.

User Info Menu

Adrian is amazing, one of the best. Yes, the book makes an excellent supplement to MMFG. If you ever get the chance to speak to him, you might inform him about our work here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Adrian is amazing, one of the best. Yes, the book makes an excellent supplement to MMFG. If you ever get the chance to speak to him, you might inform him about our work here.
    I will do that Rob,although i should have said i have not seen him play recently as i do not get out as much as i used to because of health issues.But if i ever get to see him again i will mention this to him.

User Info Menu

If you get a chance, tell him thanks from me. I like both his compositions, and the choice of different types of material for the book.

Rob, have you come across the Real Guitar Book (Sollory and Powlesland)? I have vol 1, but it's fairly basic. A few nice tunes though. Wondering if vols 2 and 3 are worthwhile.

User Info Menu

No, I haven't seen them. I've noticed that they appear often in the Trinity Grade system, so I have wondered about them. Maybe you could bring one, next I see you?

User Info Menu

Will bring it. Meanwhile, this was my favourite from the book:

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=ten left thumbs;232114]If you get a chance, tell him thanks from me. I like both his compositions, and the choice of different types of material for the book.

I will do that TLT.Cannot wait to get the book and join in with this thread.

User Info Menu

Well done, TLT. Looking forward to seeing the book.

User Info Menu

Hey, ginger, great to have you on board! You'll love the book, and I look forward to hearing you play some of the tunes!

Thanks Rob, that recording was from a while ago. Will bring the book.

User Info Menu

I worked on Hometime following Rob's advice and re-recorded:

https://www.box.com/s/e998aff926d50b9bd395

Hopefully it's a bit better. Now working on Vic's Groove and Waltz (#12), however Waltz is really difficult.

User Info Menu

Definitely better. Well done! Good to hear some improvement.

User Info Menu

Thanks!

User Info Menu

How's everyone? Ginger, did your book arrive? Hope you survived the flooding.

I've been working on Waltz by Ron Moore (#12):

https://www.box.com/s/bd01da5c60dd7138d177

As ever, it needs more work, especially the runs at the end, and the run of 3rds. Hopefully it's listenable at this point.

User Info Menu

Hi Laura,yes the flooding does not get to me ,i bought a house on top of a big hill,if the water ever reaches me we are gonna have to ring for Noah to build a new Ark.Yes i got my book,it was a bit late arriving,i have only had a quick glance so far,it looks hard.Can you recommend a good piece to start with.

User Info Menu

Hi ginger, glad you're afloat. I liked #3 for starters. You know Rob has them all as mp3's on his site if you want to hear them too.