The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

Page 53 looks easy.

'The Dynamic Etude (duet) Etude #4' on page 54 and 55 - not so easy.

And next week we will be finishing Section One which is the first half of the book. Woot!

Oh yeah; Review, Review and Review.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

P 53, Duet in D and D Scale
    https://www.box.com/s/b9344fb61bb2daf49a88

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead
    Oldhead, did you find this to be really easy as compared to when we started? I'm noticing that the single melody playing is alot easier than we first started and getting the good grounding in the natural notes sure make the sharps and flats easier to play as well. Nice playing man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will Glen
    Oldhead, did you find this to be really easy as compared to when we started? I'm noticing that the single melody playing is alot easier than we first started and getting the good grounding in the natural notes sure make the sharps and flats easier to play as well. Nice playing man.
    Much easier, and I'm not going for perfection.
    It's amazing to go back and review and see how far we've come.
    But wait until you hit Dynamic Duet Etude (duet) Maybe for those with experience it will be easy, but it's definitely got some "gotchas" in it and there are a couple rhythms that are driving me bonkers. I've got them, but getting them up to speed is going to be a challenge. I didn't realize what I was getting into when I started this study group.
    Thanks for the comment.
    Last edited by oldhead; 04-25-2012 at 09:57 PM.

User Info Menu

Add Page 54, Dynamic Etude (duet)
    S2, cut chords short
    Sounds mechanical - Played to metronome at 112
    S5 m1,2 3, second part, not played with conviction
    S8, m3, didn't hold last quarter note.
    This was a bear for me. S3, I kept wanting to play 2 eighth notes for the last quarter note and not hold the quarter and play the final eighth.
    Speed was a problem. I found myself slowing way down in the harder passages and speeding up in the easier ones; thus the metronome which forced me to maintain tempo. Rhythms were a challenge. Dynamics don't come through like on the original recording.
    I'm sure you'll find other nits, but these are the ones that stick out to me.

https://www.box.com/s/2655b39aadeb07fa7c02
    Last edited by oldhead; 04-27-2012 at 04:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Where did the time go? I thought I had already done my homework. I better get started right now.

Oldhead's Duet in D - Sounds just about perfect, maybe a little timing issue at G1 m.3 bb. 2-4. Third system starts to groove.

D major scale sounds just about perfect.

User Info Menu

S2, cut chords short
    This was a bear for me. S3, I kept wanting to play 2 eighth notes for the last quarter note and not hold the quarter and play the final eighth.
    Speed was a problem. I found myself slowing way down in the harder passages and speeding up in the easier ones; thus the metronome which forced me to maintain tempo. Rhythms were a challenge. Dynamics don't come through like on the original recording.

Good self review.

Lots of good stuff here. The groove from s3 on feels great. I dig the way you cut the last beat of the 1st ending short. Great ritard.

S2 - I think the main thing is how long you held the chords is not consistent from one chord to the next.

Good job on those upbeat chords. That looks hard to do.

And your favorite chord at the end.

This one looks hard, wish me luck. I feel this serves me right for putting this off to the last minute.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

FEP, no nits here - they sound good.

I'm sure you'll whiz right through the Dynamic duet. The notes weren't really hard, it was the timing issues and getting it up to Moderato that were tough for me. Actually, I think it sounds a better at a slower tempo, but I suppose Leavitt has his reasons for designating Moderato. Looking forward to hearing everyone's rendition of it.

User Info Menu

I try to exaggerate the dynamics, started by playing as softly as I could. The dynamics do come through but not as much as I try to. Hmmmm, there's a lesson here somewhere.

Page 54 Dynamic Etude.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I try to exaggerate the dynamics, started by playing as softly as I could. The dynamics do come through but not as much as I try to. Hmmmm, there's a lesson here somewhere.

If you just started this today, this course is too easy for you. Very nice, FEP, and I could hear the dynamics. Seems like dynamics don't come through on recordings like they sound when we play them, but this one did. Nice Ritard, and, ha, ha, nice ending, too.

User Info Menu

Very musical oldhead, as usual. Check out p1, s4, m3. You might have rushed the E a little. Didn't sound bad at all, in fact I like it, but caught my ear as maybe different than written.

S2, cut chords short

Again I'm impressed that you can read that fast. IMO this is a tough piece with a lot of detail. I'm wondering if slowing down a little would make it easier for you to fix the critiques you mentioned? I know it would for me!

Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by fep

Well played. I think this might be the best example of using dynamics I've heard since we began the class. The only thing I noticed was some of the chords might be a little late on the upbeats in part 2. A very tough section!

User Info Menu

If you just started this today, this course is too easy for you. Very nice, FEP, and I could hear the dynamics. Seems like dynamics don't come through on recordings like they sound when we play them, but this one did. Nice Ritard, and, ha, ha, nice ending, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty W
    Well played. I think this might be the best example of using dynamics I've heard since we began the class. The only thing I noticed was some of the chords might be a little late on the upbeats in part 2. A very tough section!
    Thanks for the review guys. Marty, that's a good catch, those upbeat chords at the end don't groove. That bit was difficult for me, more review is needed.

My vote for the groove award on Dynamic Etude goes to oldhead. I was feelin' it brother.

Cheers

User Info Menu

The Dynamic Etude is kicking my butt fellows. Still working on it.

User Info Menu

As FEP said, probably the hardest one we've faced so far. Don't let it get you down - there's a great feeling of accomplishment once you get through it, and I'm sure you will.

User Info Menu

You can do it! It's just a question of when....

User Info Menu

Sorry for the feedback and crappy mix on these. I've got to find a better way to record. Not happy with how the parts are coming out in the mix. Very irritating and my apologies.

Will keep reviewing to improve reading and playing dynamics when called for which I tend to overlook along with many other parts that this piece dealt. I'm ready to move on from this one for sure.

Dynamic Etude
    https://www.box.com/s/fc1d5a6073899cd59a1c

Duet in D
    https://www.box.com/s/de425de564080adf555a
    Last edited by Will Glen; 05-02-2012 at 08:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Sight-Reading Leavitt

So it struck me last night that maybe I'm not doing it the way the rest of you are -- maybe I have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNG way to go with reading music, and my never having had a teacher has caught up with me in a bad way.

In other words, it seems I'm taking a long, long time to get these duets (and other stuff) recorded and uploaded. So I'm wondering now (duh) whether the rest of you are relying on the notation, and not memorizing the pieces.

Everybody groaning now?

Do you actually read that well? Can you read from the page, first or second time through, and make it sound as good as you do? I suspect you can, now that I've thought about it. That would be what "sight-reading" is... but I'm not that good at it. I can read and stumble along at a fair pace - but to play it and record it, I have to have memorized it.

You guys aren't doing that, are you?

kj

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kojo27
    Sight-Reading Leavitt

So it struck me last night that maybe I'm not doing it the way the rest of you are -- maybe I have a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNG way to go with reading music, and my never having had a teacher has caught up with me in a bad way.

In other words, it seems I'm taking a long, long time to get these duets (and other stuff) recorded and uploaded. So I'm wondering now (duh) whether the rest of you are relying on the notation, and not memorizing the pieces.

Everybody groaning now?

Do you actually read that well? Can you read from the page, first or second time through, and make it sound as good as you do? I suspect you can, now that I've thought about it. That would be what "sight-reading" is... but I'm not that good at it. I can read and stumble along at a fair pace - but to play it and record it, I have to have memorized it.

You guys aren't doing that, are you?

kj
    Do you all see pages 64 and 65 as a benchmark to measure our sight reading progress in the strict sense? To my understanding we should be able to read this cold at a reasonable clip.

It seems logical to me that a beginner must work through a great deal of material and be able to technically execute the music before they can even begin to sight read any of it cold. I think this is the purpose of the vast majority of MMI.
    Last edited by Will Glen; 05-02-2012 at 11:10 PM.

User Info Menu

Do you all see pages 64 and 65 as a benchmark to measure our sight reading progress in the strict sense? To my understanding we should be able to read this cold at a reasonable clip.

It seems logical to me that a beginner must work through a great deal of material and be able to technically execute the music before they can even begin to sight read any of it cold. I think this is the purpose of the vast majority of MMI.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelley204
    I can pretty much read pp 64 and 64 "cold" - maybe with a few lapses in concentration, which are possibly related to a medical thing I'm enjoying boundlessly right now... // But the reading is there, more or less. Something like the present duets can throw me badly, though - trying to read them and play them "cold" - or just in strict time after a few practice runs.

If I have time, I can "read" (figure out) almost anything: solo guitar pieces, jazz solos, chord melodies, etc. It's "sight reading" I'm talking about. Reading in time, without mistakes.

One problem I have is in playing while watching the page. I hadn't realized it, but I've trained myself to play with my eyes closed . Gotta stop that, gotta read from the page.

I guess I'm asking how close to "memorized" will you have a piece before you can get through it error-free, no splicing or overdubs, no "cheating" - ???

kj
    Last edited by Kojo27; 05-03-2012 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Elaboration/clarification

User Info Menu

I try to upload on Sunday but sometimes I need more than a week's practice like on the Dynamic Etude.

User Info Menu

I guess I'm asking how close to "memorized" will you have a piece before you can get through it error-free, no splicing or overdubs, no "cheating" - ???

kj
    I haven't tried to memorize anything.

If I can change "error-free" to " well enough" then:

Page 53, I can sight read that. I did read through this weeks lessons a couple of times during the week. That was a lot less than normal as I got myself spread a bit thin during the week.

Page 54, I can read that too, but not without mistakes.

Duet in D, I recorded each part in one take.

Dynamic Duet. When I recorded that, I read through it once and then started recording. The 1st guitar I did in one take. The 2nd guitar... I lost count. That may have been 10 takes? I was having problems with the last 5 measures.

User Info Menu

kj
    While I don't have pieces memorized, I'm very familiar with them because of all the practice I've put into them. This is the only way I can do it, because when I started MM1 I couldn't read and didn't know the notes on the fretboard. That was my whole purpose in joining this study group. Most of my recordings are certainly not error-free, but there are no overdubs, splicing "cheating". That would kind of defeat the purpose.

When I start a new piece, I first look through it slowly (without playing) to try to get a feel for how it sounds. Then I try to play through it very slowly, looking for repeating patterns, scale runs and runs that can be played by just holding one chord and not moving any fingers on the left hand. Sometimes it's taking one measure at a time and working through it.

Once I'm able to play through the whole piece, then I start working on bringing it up to speed.

I know some folks here are more experienced and can already read music and play, at least to some extent, which I'm sure makes their task much easier.

In the end I'm gaining a huge amount of knowledge and satisfaction by being able to read and play a piece, albeit not perfectly maybe, but every time I review I find it easier/smoother to play and read.

I think MM1 is throwing an awful lot of info at us and, at least for me, it takes a lot of time to work a piece up. I certainly can't make a recording on the first or second, (or maybe even the fiftieth) take.

I guess it boils down to what your goals are and how much time you're willing to invest. I feel like I'm getting out of it what I put into it.

User Info Menu

I'd like to add that last year I "sight read" Real Book 1, Real Book 2, and The New Real Book 1. I'd spend a little bit of time each day and read those books from cover to cover. Tons of mistakes while reading through, sometimes at super slow tempos for the hard tunes. But the whole point was to practice sight reading.

And on my way, I did find a bunch of tunes that I put on my list to learn for my repertoire.

User Info Menu

Sorry for the feedback and crappy mix on these. I've got to find a better way to record. Not happy with how the parts are coming out in the mix. Very irritating and my apologies.

Will keep reviewing to improve reading and playing dynamics when called for which I tend to overlook along with many other parts that this piece dealt. I'm ready to move on from this one for sure.

Dynamic Etude
    https://www.box.com/s/fc1d5a6073899cd59a1c

Duet in D
    https://www.box.com/s/de425de564080adf555a
    Will, I thought you did a fine job on these. I heard a couple missteps and a slide, but Dynamic was, at least for me, a rather difficult endeavor. Way to go.