The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 50

User Info Menu

This week the E minor scales, a new style of Rhythm Accompaniment, and a duet.

I thought we could start a list of abbreviations we can use in our posts. Please add to this if you have any that will be useful and are commonly used in music.

m.1 = measure 1
    mm. 4-5 = measures 4 through 5
    G1 = Guitar 1
    G2 = Guitar 2
    RH = Right hand
    LH = Left hand

To indicate a measure in a piece I think it is easiest to refer to the the measure number and staff (or stave) or system.

For example: G1, m.3 of 3rd system = The 1st guitar of the duet, the third measure of the third system.

(Note, Leavitt doesn't indicate the measure numbers in this book so referring to measure number and a staff or system is easiest. This keeps us from having to count down measures from the beginning. (Music notation often does indicate measure numbers at the beginning of each system and when this is the case one would just refer to the measure number.)
    Last edited by fep; 04-02-2012 at 12:42 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Thanks Fep. Good idea.

User Info Menu

Pages 44 and 45, Take Your Pick (Duet) and Rhythm
    G1, System 4, m3 late coming in, and probably lots more.
    Hitting the links tomorrow!!
    Pages 44 and 45 Take Your Pick and Rhythm.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Pages 42 and 43.
    Not sure of the sixteenth notes and not real
    happy with the first rhythm.
    May revisit these after I hear some of y'all's.
    http://www.box.com/s/41025d49b6d7f4065c56
    Last edited by oldhead; 04-04-2012 at 12:36 AM. Reason: Added Pages 42 and 43

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead
    Pages 44 and 45 Take Your Pick and Rhythm.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Sounded really good man! I liked the run at the end of the chord progression as well. Keep these coming. Take care,

Will

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will Glen
    Sounded really good man! I liked the run at the end of the chord progression as well. Keep these coming. Take care,

Will
    Thanks, Will. I really liked that lick FEP put at the end of last week. It makes it a little more fun.

User Info Menu

Wow, you're quick oldhead! Very clean, very musical.

Open question for anyone: S 3, G 1, bar 3. How do you get that LH position to transition quick from barre to not-barre? I struggle with that. I suppose the answer is probably 'do it quickly'!

Pages 42 and 43.
    Not sure of the sixteenth notes and not real
    happy with the first rhythm.
    May revisit these after I hear some of y'all's.
    Pages 42 ane 43.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Very impressive! Now, one mistake of rhythm in p42, ex 2. Where the 16th note comes on the beat (semiquaver, dotted quaver). You need to get the semiquaver on the beat. You were playing it before the beat. This is a tricky rhythm, known locally as a Scotch snap. Will post an audio example later and it might make more sense.

Edit: An example of tune using scotch snaps. You hear them at 13, 27, 32, 39, etc.
    Box

I did try recording the ex 2, but was fighting the 'nome so bad I just deleted it. Dang that nome!
    Last edited by ten left thumbs; 04-04-2012 at 05:30 AM.

User Info Menu

Some recordings. I adore Take your pick, but I do find it tricky, so this is an example of slow practice. As you can hear, I'm not accurate enough to take it faster. Fighting the nome today.

take your pick g1.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Rhythm pg 43, ex 1. Another tricky one. The D min is tricky and the F min is just as bad!

pg 43 ex1.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    Some recordings. I adore Take your pick, but I do find it tricky, so this is an example of slow practice. As you can hear, I'm not accurate enough to take it faster. Fighting the nome today.

Rhythm pg 43, ex 1. Another tricky one. The D min is tricky and the F min is just as bad!

Hi, TLT. I think Take Your Pick is right there and sounding good. Can't wait to hear it all together.
    That rhythm on 43 was a tough one. Just constant practice, I guess, will smooth it out for us.

I knew my 16th notes on ex 2 didn't sound right, but honestly couldn't figure it out. I appreciate your post. Now all I have to do is figure out how to play it.

User Info Menu

Oldhead, have you got it now?

Another recording:
    p42 ex2.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Where you see a beat consisting of a 1/16 followed by dotted 1/8, you have to convince yourself to put the shorter note *on* the beat. If feels counter-intuitive. You get this rhythm a lot in Scots and Irish music, hence my post. You also get it in 16th syncopation, as in the last bar of this exercise.

Think of it as reverse-swing.

User Info Menu

Oldhead, have you got it now?

Another recording:
    p42 ex2.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Where you see a beat consisting of a 1/16 followed by dotted 1/8, you have to convince yourself to put the shorter note *on* the beat. If feels counter-intuitive. You get this rhythm a lot in Scots and Irish music, hence my post. You also get it in 16th syncopation, as in the last bar of this exercise.

Think of it as reverse-swing.
    Thanks, TLT. Here a re-post. I think it's right, but if not, let me know.
    Also redid the rhythm, and yeah, getting to that Fm is a bit tough.
    This forum is so valuable for people helping people, it's great.
    P 42, 43 Re-take of 16ths Ex 2, and Rhythm.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Last edited by oldhead; 04-04-2012 at 11:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Oldhead, yup, that's it!

User Info Menu

Are you all keeping your ring finger down on the C the entire time through guitar part 1? Is this what he wants us to do or does it matter?

Are you all using your pinky for the f natural in guitar part 1, system III first measure?

User Info Menu

[quote=ten left thumbs;216291][quote=oldhead;216266]Pages 44 and 45, Take Your Pick (Duet) and Rhythm

Open question for anyone: S 3, G 1, bar 3. How do you get that LH position to transition quick from barre to not-barre? I struggle with that. I suppose the answer is probably 'do it quickly'!
    If you're talking about barre of F and C with the A half note, I barre the F and C w/f1, f2 on the A, then just leave the barre and drop f 3 on the Bflat, then leave the barre and while playing the f after Bflat, just move f2 to to the C#, then just roll f2 over to the F# and go to D w/f3, f1 should still be on the C to continue the run down and f2 goes back to A. I wish I had video. It's easier to show than to explain. Anyhow, that's how I did it.

User Info Menu

Are you all keeping your ring finger down on the C the entire time through guitar part 1? Is this what he wants us to do or does it matter?

Are you all using your pinky for the f natural in guitar part 1, system III first measure?
    Hi, Will. I probably shouldn't be giving advice, but on g1 I hold the bottom C while playing the eighth notes.

On s3, m1, I'm playing the F w/my ring finger and then stretching up with pinky to catch the F#. Hope that helps.

User Info Menu

If you're talking about barre of F and C with the A half note, I barre the F and C w/f1, f2 on the A, then just leave the barre and drop f 3 on the Bflat, then leave the barre and while playing the f after Bflat, just move f2 to to the C#, then just roll f2 over to the F# and go to D w/f3, f1 should still be on the C to continue the run down and f2 goes back to A. I wish I had video. It's easier to show than to explain. Anyhow, that's how I did it.
    hey, why didn't i think of that? loads easier. thnx

User Info Menu

Yes, those are two beat notes, so you hold them except where there's a rest notated. Elsewhere he tells you hold down all notes under a slur.

Nah, I'm with oldhead. Ring for the F nat, save pinkie for F#. You will play this triad a lot.

User Info Menu

hey, why didn't i think of that? loads easier. thnx
    You're welcome. Glad I could finally contribute something.

User Info Menu

Nice job my friend. One or two misteps, a nice recovery, but all in all a real musical performance. That Ritard was done so well, that's amazing how you pull that off.

The chords are played well and like the pizzazz at the end, and the bluesy 7th chord to finish it.

hanks, TLT. Here a re-post. I think it's right, but if not, let me know.
    Also redid the rhythm, and yeah, getting to that Fm is a bit tough.
    This forum is so valuable for people helping people, it's great.
    P 42, 43 Re-take of 16ths Ex 2, and Rhythm.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Yep those rhythms are good. And the Rhythm accompainiment is real good too. M.3 of the second system, that's some tough quick changes. M.1 both times you played an E on top of the C chord instead of the G, it still sounded good.

Way to lead the pack.

User Info Menu

G1, Take Your Pick. It sounded pretty spot on, a couple little missteps but I'm sure you hear those yourself. I'm glad you're back posting recordings.

Rhythm exercise, sounds good, I'm glad you are taking it slow and with a metronome. Bar chords like that Fm at the first fret are about as hard as it gets in terms of hand strength. In a lot of ways it's easier to play when we move away from the 1st position; less string tension, the frets are closer together, and there are no open strings so most of the time you can mute with the LH.

Thanks for posting.

Speaking of which, we should be done with Part 1 of the book in mid-May and will be moving on to other positions. Woot!

User Info Menu

Thanks to all for feedback on my recording.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Speaking of which, we should be done with Part 1 of the book in mid-May and will be moving on to other positions. Woot!
    We have some fantastic music to look forward to.

User Info Menu

I didn't use a metronome as I didn't want my timing to be too stiff, at least that was the plan.

3 notes I really didn't like on this recording.

User Info Menu

FEP, Very nice rendition of this piece, with a lot of feeling. You have a way of slowing pieces down and still maintaining a lot of musicality, which is something I need to work on. It's interesting to listen to mine and then yours and note the completely different feel to the piece and hear the difference in interpretations. Nice Ritard and trailer at the end. I didn't really hear the three notes you didn't care for, but, personal preference, I would have liked the last note to have been a bit softer. Really nice execution and I very much enjoy listening to it.

User Info Menu

Like oldhead, I couldn't hear which 3 notes. That was very musical fep.

User Info Menu

FEP, Very nice rendition of this piece, with a lot of feeling. You have a way of slowing pieces down and still maintaining a lot of musicality, which is something I need to work on. It's interesting to listen to mine and then yours and note the completely different feel to the piece and hear the difference in interpretations. Nice Ritard and trailer at the end. I didn't really hear the three notes you didn't care for, but, personal preference, I would have liked the last note to have been a bit softer. Really nice execution and I very much enjoy listening to it.
    Like oldhead, I couldn't hear which 3 notes. That was very musical fep.
    Thanks for the critiques. Good point old head on the last note. I think real real quite would have been better.

User Info Menu

The procrastination is over, at least for the moment.

My attempts, some days you got it, today not so much.