The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oldhead
    Pages 44 and 45, Take Your Pick (Duet) and Rhythm
    G1, System 4, m3 late coming in, and probably lots more.
    Hitting the links tomorrow!!
    Pages 44 and 45 Take Your Pick and Rhythm.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

[/url]
    Sounded great oldhead. Steady with a nice feel. I didn't notice any major stumbles. Only timing issue I thought I heard was with G2, S4 leading up to the C. You totally nailed the rit.!

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    Some recordings. I adore Take your pick, but I do find it tricky, so this is an example of slow practice. As you can hear, I'm not accurate enough to take it faster. Fighting the nome today.

take your pick g1.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Nice and steady TLT. You only missed a couple notes and sounded pretty comfortable. Not an easy piece.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    I didn't use a metronome as I didn't want my timing to be too stiff, at least that was the plan.

3 notes I really didn't like on this recording.

Another good rendition fep. Really liked the dynamics, especially the crescendo in S3. I need to work more on those.

I thought I heard 3 minor timing issues. In G1, S4, m4, the C sounds a little delayed and the same with G2, S4, m3.

The rit. was well played, both parts felt natural. The last notes might of been a tiny bit off. Sorry I'm being super nit picky and probably shouldn't be.

Thanks everyone for posting!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    The procrastination is over, at least for the moment.

My attempts, some days you got it, today not so much.

Can't say a whole lot about the exercises, but you do make them sound musical. You were nearing the midnight hour on this one (EST).

User Info Menu

It's interesting that you say this one might have been harder to read. The last one gave me a fit. I guess it's an individual thing.
    Anyhow, I think your post of this piece sounds good. Seemed like the Ritard was all right too. I guess we can all look back and second-guess ourselves on how we could have/would have/should have played something; I always do.
    Your guitar sounded different to me on this one than on others. TFP
    Thanks oldhead. As for my reading I just need to do it more and focus harder while doing it. I admit I don't review enough and I rely too much on memorizing the lesson of the week. Just finished a review today starting with Here We Go Again. Mr. Leavitt is correct, I need more of that.

Not sure about the guitar tone. I did it the same way as usual. Might of had a little different settings on the amp, or the mic in a different spot.

Sounds good, marty. I actually liked the timing at the end. One small thing, guitar 2 system 2 bar 2, you see how the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes are quarters, so to be held for a full beat, while picking the offbeat note? I didn't think that came across.
    Thanks TLT. My goal on those parts was to let the quarters ring and mute the eighths. I hear that I cut the 1st one short but most of them are okay. The challenge isn't letting the quarters ring, it's muting the eighths in between.

I do this more as a muting and reading exercise than anything else. If I where recording a CD I'd probably let all the notes ring and only mute offensive ones. Making it sound as full as possible.

User Info Menu

Day late and a dollar short on this one. Don't know why I was getting fuzz in the recording. I'm using the online metronome. I had my headphones plugged into the speaker for my computer listening to the metronome to avoid it being picked up on the recording. I will try something different to try and get a better recording. My apologies on the quality of the recording.

I took the weekend off because some family were in town and didn't practice like I normally do. I need to do better at reviewing as well because I fear I may be memorizing many parts also.

Everybody sounded great. I'm going to go back and relisten and post some comments this week on the recordings. Talk to you later.

Will

Take Your Pick duet pgs 44 and 45.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty W
    I admit I don't review enough and I rely too much on memorizing the lesson of the week. Just finished a review today starting with Here We Go Again. Mr. Leavitt is correct, I need more of that.

I don't memorize, although I may on the speed exercises this week. Memorizing might make the different keys easier. but +1 on the need for review, I'm with you there. A big problem is just lack of time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Will Glen
    Day late and a dollar short on this one. Don't know why I was getting fuzz in the recording. I'm using the online metronome. I had my headphones plugged into the speaker for my computer listening to the metronome to avoid it being picked up on the recording. I will try something different to try and get a better recording. My apologies on the quality of the recording.

I took the weekend off because some family were in town and didn't practice like I normally do. I need to do better at reviewing as well because I fear I may be memorizing many parts also.

Everybody sounded great. I'm going to go back and relisten and post some comments this week on the recordings. Talk to you later.

Will

Take Your Pick duet pgs 44 and 45.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    Will, I like that the met wasn't in there. Now if you can get the guitar up it will be great - but really much better without the met. The piece sounded good. Thought I heard a couple wrong notes, but wasn't sure.
    Was that 3-m lick intentional or did you slide off the track and find your way back? Kind of cool either way. TFP

User Info Menu

Will, I like that the met wasn't in there. Now if you can get the guitar up it will be great - but really much better without the met. The piece sounded good. Thought I heard a couple wrong notes, but wasn't sure.
    Was that 3-m lick intentional or did you slide off the track and find your way back? Kind of cool either way. TFP
    I'm having trouble getting a good mix but will keep at it. I'm using a dang computer mic right now. I did miss a couple of notes for sure. I threw that lick in there and got lost some and had to find my way back. I heard some uncertain dissonance with it but went ahead and left it thinking it sounded somewhat in the tune. Thanks alot man.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty W
    Thanks TLT. My goal on those parts was to let the quarters ring and mute the eighths. I hear that I cut the 1st one short but most of them are okay. The challenge isn't letting the quarters ring, it's muting the eighths in between.

I do this more as a muting and reading exercise than anything else. If I where recording a CD I'd probably let all the notes ring and only mute offensive ones. Making it sound as full as possible.
    Oh, I see. I'm with your CD-recording idea, but I take my hat off to your muting fervour.

User Info Menu

This could be renamed 'Pick your Take'. I won't bore you with the story of how many takes this took. G1 was recorded first, so sounds quite muffled, apologies.

take your pick duet.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

User Info Menu

This could be renamed 'Pick your Take'. I won't bore you with the story of how many takes this took. G1 was recorded first, so sounds quite muffled, apologies.

take your pick duet.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    TLT, I think it's the end result that counts, not necessarily how many takes, and your end result is good. The mix wasn't all that muffled and I could hear both parts. Thanks for posting.

User Info Menu

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Honest, it's the same guitar for all 3 scales, but instead of patching into the interface, as with the first two, I played the third into a microphone. Slight difference!

https://www.box.com/s/39e86c986539b5b2a9fe

Here's the duet, far from perfect. Cross-picking slowly is hard for me, but it's getting easier - got this one at 90 bpm!!! (Oh, btw, I cheated a bit: the carpal tunnel area was aching, so I put a capo on the second fret to make it all easier - and it sounds cool, too, imho. There's your solution TLT - a capo. Really!)

https://www.box.com/s/0ea735a8d987cbcd0bcd

More to come shortly.
    Last edited by Kojo27; 05-18-2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: capo confession

User Info Menu

Nice going Kojo, that duet was tricky, but you managed it well. Very picky!

You manage to get carpal tunnel problems in your left hand?

As for me and my size problem, with certain things I do work on them up the neck and then bring them down. But for a written out tune, it would confuse me dreadfully to be playing all the 'wrong notes'. These are notes for me, not patterns.

But don't get me wrong, I do own a capo.

Now, the scale, do me a favour and check through the natural minor again. Ascending, first time you play, I think there's a raised 6th or 7th in there somewhere, but it goes a bit too fast for me to make out, and I could be mistaken. Second time you play it, sounds fine.

User Info Menu

Nice going Kojo, that duet was tricky, but you managed it well. Very picky!

Now, the scale, do me a favour and check through the natural minor again. Ascending, first time you play, I think there's a raised 6th or 7th in there somewhere, but it goes a bit too fast for me to make out, and I could be mistaken. Second time you play it, sounds fine.
    Thanks for the comments, Laura.

I thought I did this the other day - but the response isn't here, so here goes again.

I used Amazing Slow-Downer (for transcribers) to slow the file down. Your ear's better than mine, but I don't hear a C# or a D#... maybe the F# next to that accented high G gives it a major 7 sound? Or maybe I really blew it.

Here it is slower:

https://www.box.com/s/cc591dd03d2266219149

User Info Menu

First things last, here's the dotted eighths and sixteenths, and the rhythm accompaniment (this is from pp 42 and 43.)

Rhythm

https://www.box.com/s/e53be82ee7cdd0c7c3c4

Dotted eighths/sixteenths

https://www.box.com/s/d9b4d4d39d6c3af02667
    Last edited by Kojo27; 05-22-2012 at 01:56 AM.

User Info Menu

Hi Kojo, my apologies, the scale was correct, just one of the notes was quiet and that threw my ear.

New stuff: the rhythm, ex 1 and 3 are correct. In ex 2, there is a problem with the 1/16th followed by dotted 8th (not the reverse). Also, check out bar 3, an A in beats 3+4. The syncopation in bar 4 is as written.

We came across this tricky rhythm before, let me see if I did a decent recording.

User Info Menu

Another recording:
    p42 ex2.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Think of it as reverse-swing.
    Hope this helps. All very picky I know, but Leavitt wants to leave no dotted quaver unturned...

User Info Menu

Hope this helps. All very picky I know, but Leavitt wants to leave no dotted quaver unturned...
    Ah - not picky at all...thanks! I *think* I have it right this time.

Thanks a big, big lot. Sometimes I think I'd be posting to ghosts if not for you.

https://www.box.com/s/26d07ea1b9bd4a8e326b

User Info Menu

That's it.

User Info Menu

That's it.
    Thanks, dearest. I'll send you the email.... Things went thoroughly berserk here in my little part of Kentucky last week and weekend.

Play on, play on!

kj

User Info Menu

Hi! I really had a fun time with these ones...

Last edited by Clamps; 10-10-2012 at 08:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Clamps,

I listened to all of your most recent recording. You sound great in them and I have no critiques. Maybe some more experienced people can jump in and give you pointers

User Info Menu

Ive gotten around picking my take as well

User Info Menu

The rythm accompaniment on page 45:

User Info Menu