The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 39 of 39

User Info Menu

The F is a minor 3rd (b3) interval from the root (D). When you see the 3rd flatted (minor 3rd) you know the chord is minor. If the 3rd is natural the chord is major.

So the 1 b3 5 are the intervals related to the root. This follows with the upper extensions as well.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by brwnhornet59
    The F is a minor 3rd (b3) interval from the root (D). When you see the 3rd flatted (minor 3rd) you know the chord is minor. If the 3rd is natural the chord is major.

So the 1 b3 5 are the intervals related to the root. This follows with the upper extensions as well.
    Thanks.You mean that "b3" is the sign of a minor 3rd?

User Info Menu

Correct..The same holds trues any time you see a flat or sharp next to an interval. b7 is a flatted 7th interval. This would be the next extension in the minor triad (1 b3 5 b7), unless you are playing in harmonic or melodic minor. The tonic chord would be minor (1 b3 5) with a natural 7. Make sense?

User Info Menu

I'm really sorry to say this but you must know that my access is restricted to buy books online so I wanted to see if there is anyone who can share "al di meola's Picking technique" or "bugs bower rhythm book" with me.I really need your help.

I would be grateful

User Info Menu

Hi there, sorry I don't have these books, hope you get hold of them somehow, but, how are you doing, man? You still scared of scales?

Just reading this thread again, and it's funny you were scared of scales, but you had the Al di Meola book. I have the same book, and it's scary! (I'm not scared of scales though).

User Info Menu

Well, you could work on scales and then see if they help your actual playing.
    Personally, they got me nowhere. Unless you count tendonitis?

I improved much more from transcribing and from coming up with melodic (thinking in terms of chord tones, but including juicy notes like altered 9ths and 5ths) ideas for navigating chord progressions. Mostly I think I chord tones.

Then again, a pro can make scales sound amazing...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    Hi there, sorry I don't have these books, hope you get hold of them somehow, but, how are you doing, man? You still scared of scales?

Just reading this thread again, and it's funny you were scared of scales, but you had the Al di Meola book. I have the same book, and it's scary! (I'm not scared of scales though).
    You know whats scary?that you have to write down the other scales with Al's method and I'm not really in the mood for it!

User Info Menu

I'm really sorry to say this but you must know that my access is restricted to buy books online so I wanted to see if there is anyone who can share "al di meola's Picking technique" or "bugs bower rhythm book" with me.I really need your help.

I would be grateful

User Info Menu

Have you learned the scales yet?

Quote Originally Posted by P.S.94
    Thanks so much my friend,
    I'm really scared from scales!and this may make me avoid getting close to them!my question is how should I practice scales??
    In tune and in time.

Options include: One string up and down, horizontally across the strings, 3 notes per string, groups of strings. Pick one and stick with it for a bit until it is easy to nail, then try other keys. When you get bored, try another approach. Get creative with practice and make it fun and challenging. Play games like: "im only going to play this scale three times and try not to screw up at all". Or play them for your cat as if you wanted to impress. Eyes closed, etc. So many things can be done.

Say the notes out loud ascending and descending (descending is hard). Sing them as you play them.
    I think practicing scales/chords /arpgs And standards together will work.I also have a lot of other questions like:What is an interval?What do roman numerals want to say?
    what's the relation between a scale's notes and the chords we can use with that scale?
    That's a modal way of thinking about it. In functional jazz harmony, it's the other way around ("what notes, tensions, scales, arpeggios will work here?").

what are modes?what does a whole tone scale mean?
    Too many questions. The second question seems very odd.

which notes in a major scale have a minor or a dim chord?
    The book "Everything About Guitar Scales" covers all of that and a lot more. It's obviously misnamed, unfortunately, and obviously no one book will cover "everything" about guitar scales. But good basics coverage and a huge font for the symbols.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Garrett Smith
    In tune and in time.

Options include: One string up and down, horizontally across the strings, 3 notes per string, groups of strings. Pick one and stick with it for a bit until it is easy to nail, then try other keys. When you get bored, try another approach. Get creative with practice and make it fun and challenging. Play games like: "im only going to play this scale three times and try not to screw up at all". Or play them for your cat as if you wanted to impress. Eyes closed, etc. So many things can be done.

Say the notes out loud ascending and descending (descending is hard). Sing them as you play them.
    That's a modal way of thinking about it. In functional jazz harmony, it's the other way around ("what notes, tensions, scales, arpeggios will work here?").

Too many questions. The second question seems very odd.

The book "Everything About Guitar Scales" covers all of that and a lot more. It's obviously misnamed, unfortunately, and obviously no one book will cover "everything" about guitar scales. But good basics coverage and a huge font for the symbols.

Thanks.The problem with scales is solved.from "scared" i meant it was hard to practice with Al's method.And about the "odd question" my language is not english but I am practicing English books so musical expressions may sound odd to me.you forgive me.

User Info Menu

I would be grateful

I really need your help.
    Is it urgent? I bet it is!

User Info Menu

I would be grateful
    Just my unprofessional opinion, but I think you may be getting ahead of yourself, judging from the questions you are asking.