The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 96

User Info Menu

Not sure if this book is really for jazz purists, but it works for me.

Published by Melbay - lots of standard notation and tab, old time tunes by the originals - Harry Volpe, Eddie Lang etc. I plan to incorporate some into future gigs - anyone else using this book?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

What? Did someone publish a Johnny Smith book??? Nice.

Because, when it comes to plectrum guitar, there is only ONE MASTER of all the masters.

User Info Menu

Well, of course Smith was the top of the heap, but Eddie Lang's stuff was also mind-blowingly beautiful, and Van Eps' early 6-string compositions are great pieces to learn as well.

User Info Menu

and?

User Info Menu

and they all lived happily ever after?

User Info Menu

It's a cool book. I use some of the easier ones with students as reading studies.

I'm not into learning other folk's arrangements note for note, but I love to study transcriptions and steal ideas on arranging, harmony and counterpoint.

User Info Menu

What level of difficulty is it?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    What? Did someone publish a Johnny Smith book??? Nice.

Because, when it comes to plectrum guitar, there is only ONE MASTER of all the masters.
    lol. that's darned provocative.

i think that you have to include Benson and McLaughlin in there too.

User Info Menu

Ooooo-is this going to become another "Who's the best guitarist?" thread?
    I'll say Irving Ashby for today!

User Info Menu

Welll..."plectrum guitar" refers to kind of a specific style...and era...

Benson and McLaughlin were still gametes for much of it.

User Info Menu

ah. i see the point then.

User Info Menu

I've videoed a few pieces from the book: Plectrum Guitar Rob MacKillop ~ banjos, guitars, lutes and more

Some really nice period pieces.

User Info Menu

Rob, do you have videos of any of the tunes from the Aidan Ingram book?

I'm tempted by the Masters book, but think it's probably above me.

seeing some of Rob's video helped convince me that this book was a good buy.

User Info Menu

I bought the book after reading Rob's description but probably need to get a bit further in MMFG before tackling some of the beautiful pieces in this book.

Here is a resource to share with the group. Michael's web site djangobooks.com has a section on e-books with many out of print books by the same masters as are found in Masters of Plectrum Guitar.

Here is the link:
    Guitar eBooks

enjoy!

BTW: have to confess I just bought a jazz manouche guitar from Michael - and here's the link to it. 2012 la Fee Modele Melusine

I love this style of jazz!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    Rob, do you have videos of any of the tunes from the Aidan Ingram book?

I'm tempted by the Masters book, but think it's probably above me.
    I haven't recorded any of the pieces from Ingram's book, but it is an idea for the future.

The Masters book is difficult. I recorded the easiest pieces...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    I haven't recorded any of the pieces from Ingram's book, but it is an idea for the future.
    If you have time, it would be good. Valsetta (#8) is charming but I'm having trouble making heads or tails of Shades of Evening (#7). For anyone not aware of the book, here it is:
    25 Graded Pieces for Plectrum Guitar: Amazon.co.uk: Adrian Ingram: Books

Nice compositions, treble clef only, probably best described as 'accessible'.

The Masters book is difficult. I recorded the easiest pieces...
    Good to know, I'll save my pennies.

User Info Menu

TLT - I have 25 pieces heading across the Atlantic even as we speak

BTW, has anyone recorded any of the pieces from Leavitt's Classical Studies for Pick Style Guitar?

D.

User Info Menu

Hi Girvikdavid, I hope you enjoy the book.

I recorded Valsetta so you have some idea of the style:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8qmBMI4Nxjo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hope the embedding works. I'm not a good player, and I did try to bring the melody out, honest, but you wouldn't know for listening.

Anyway, I'm also interested in what people have to say about Leavitt's Classic studies.

User Info Menu

I thought your performance on that video was pretty good. The melody comes out clearly.

This whole area of so-called Plectrum Guitar - as opposed to a guitar played with a plectrum or pick (which could be any style at all) - is not clearly defined. It can be very classical, or mix classical and jazz voicings, rhythms, etc, as in the Harry Volpe pieces. It can appeal to those who like the sound world of the jazz-classical guitar, but who lack the confidence, time, skills or desire to improvise their own versions. And there is nothing wrong with that. I think it is a good genre to explore, so good for you, TLT!

User Info Menu

Rob,

Thanks for sharing the info on this book, this whole area looks very interesting. Really nice playing on the videos on your site, too!

User Info Menu

Thank you!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by girevikdavid
    need to get a bit further in MMFG before tackling some of the beautiful pieces in this book.
    Okay, I give up, what's an MMFG?
    Brad

User Info Menu

Modern Method for Guitar by Wm Leavitt.

Received 25 graded pieces and was relieved that the early pieces are actually accessible to a beginning player.

Sent the La Fee guitar back due to some idiosyncratic craziness on my part (it was a little too "shopworn" for my tastes). Upgraded to a new Dupont MD50. Can't wait. I will use it to record the MMFG first solo which is about half-cooked at this time.

Cheers,

David

User Info Menu

Thanks Rob!

Interesting to hear you say 'so-called plectrum guitar'. I had never heard the term until recently. However I have found I enjoy everything I find relating to it. Because it doesn't require me to grow long fingernails, it is accessible to me.

Congratulations David on your upgrade. The earlier pieces of the 25 are accessible, but they do progress quite fast. I am also working from MMFG but found I've hit a bit of a wall, so until my fingers catch up with the book, I'm working on things from the Trinity Guildhall plectrum guitar syllabus. So I also got the Real Guitar book (vol 1) - but these are a little 'young' for me. Then today I ordered:

Lester: Essential Guitar Skill: the Barre
    Ford: Rhythm Blues
    Garcia: 25 Etudes Equisses for guitar

I will see how these go. I am very attached to the Leavitt book, but sometimes a girl just wants some variety.

good luck with the solo (I love that one!)

Edit: David, try #3 of the 25. I liked that one too.
    Last edited by ten left thumbs; 03-02-2012 at 07:53 PM.