The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Posts 76 to 96 of 96

User Info Menu

Mel Bay and Leavitt cover similar ground in different ways. Leavitt is inspiration on every page, but he goes so fast no genuine beginner could keep up. Mel Bay offers material for consolidation. Arrangements of folk tune, classical themes, some genuine compositions - the material is probably best described as 'patchy'. Some brilliant, some not so.

Together they are a winning combination, imo.
    Last edited by ten left thumbs; 12-07-2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: posted at same time as Rob

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

TLT, that's the same series I linked to...

User Info Menu

Rob MacKillop ~

I've been meaning to give you a big "Thank you" for awhile now for introducing us to this terrific book. It really lets you "connect the dots" back to the Eddie Lang era as well as giving some fun and satisfying pieces to play. I've been slowly working through the 30s-40s sections and its a real pleasure to get some of these pieces under your fingers.

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Glad to hear it. Many thanks, and keep at it!

User Info Menu

great

User Info Menu

They reveal that wonderful crossover between jazz, blues and classical music, which Harry Volpe continued in his studies and arrangements.

User Info Menu

I agree - it can be a wonderful mixture of many styles.

User Info Menu

I received Masters of the Plectrum Guitar yesterday (my sister in law was quite kind). My guitar room is currently in use as a guest room, but I worked my way through a couple of the Bucky tunes in the book. I think it's quite obvious that the music in this volume is mostly above my playing ability, but this will be a great resource moving forward I think. Thanks for creating this thread Rob, I never would have known about this book without it.

User Info Menu

JSanta, start at the beginning with Volpe. I think you'll find them at an appropriate level. Also, don't be afraid to change what is written with notes or fingerings that may be easier. Best lesson I ever learned from a friend.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrandWazoo
    JSanta, start at the beginning with Volpe. I think you'll find them at an appropriate level. Also, don't be afraid to change what is written with notes or fingerings that may be easier. Best lesson I ever learned from a friend.
    Thank you for the advice! When I have a few moments to sneak in there later today I will start there.

User Info Menu

So, Santa receives as well as gives! Have a good time with the book. Any questions, just ask. Someone here will probably know the answer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    So, Santa receives as well as gives! Have a good time with the book. Any questions, just ask. Someone here will probably know the answer.
    Once in a while I do get lucky

User Info Menu

Rob,

I've finally had time to properly sit down with this book and have started with the first tune. Listening to your recording has helped immensely to ensure I have the correct feel for the song. While not terribly difficult, it is something I will enjoy revisiting as a work my way through the book.

User Info Menu

Good to hear. You have a seven-string, don't you? Will you be adapting the pieces as you go, utilising the low bass when appropriate? I sometimes felt a seventh string would be helpful, while reading through this book. It would be good to know what you feel about that.

User Info Menu

Good to hear. You have a seven-string, don't you? Will you be adapting the pieces as you go, utilising the low bass when appropriate? I sometimes felt a seventh string would be helpful, while reading through this book. It would be good to know what you feel about that.
    That is correct, and it's actually my only archtop at this point. I do take lessons and my teacher is a very proficient 7 string guitarist, and that is a weekly challenge he poses to me. Take the sheet music and utilize the low A when working through chord charts. This does pose the problem that you cannot use a pick at all times which perhaps goes against the aim of the book. I very much like to hybrid pick, and will use that technique to incorporate bass notes, even though it might not be strictly "by the book."

In more general terms though, I think having the additional range of this instrument has helped me approach chord work in an exciting way. I recently saw Bucky Pizzarelli and Howard Alden in concert together (both extraordinary I might add), and seeing two masters use a 7 string guitar really showed me what the instrument is capable of providing me as a student. Right now it's more simple to me, when I come across a chord that has the A string as a root, I use the low A instead. This makes me adjust my playing technique and look at the relationships of the notes in different ways. As a kid, I really ignored theory, and playing with this guitar is really helping me on my journey. I hope to buy some recording gear in future and post some videos as I work through this book and others as well.

User Info Menu

I look forward to your videos!

User Info Menu

Rob,

I just wanted to again thank you for posting your videos of the tunes that you've worked through. Once I felt really comfortable with Romantic, I started on My Cherished Prelude, and what a wonderful source we all have in you for getting a feel on what the song should sound like. My wife said maybe in a few months I can get some recording software, so I will post songs someday.

User Info Menu

Hey, JSanta, I really look forward to hearing how you play this beautiful music. My way is certainly not the only way, but if it helps you get the music off the page, then I'm very pleased. Keep it up!

User Info Menu

There is free audio software available, by the way. Audacity works well, and the hardware needs are minimal as well. It's good to record yourself, you'd be surprised at what you hear, and you will learn a lot!

User Info Menu

Hey, JSanta, I really look forward to hearing how you play this beautiful music. My way is certainly not the only way, but if it helps you get the music off the page, then I'm very pleased. Keep it up!
    It really is beautiful music. I brought the book over to a lesson a few weeks back and my teacher was thrilled that these tunes were compiled the way that they were. For now it's something I study on the side. I'm working on a lot of theory and these are fun for me to do as a break.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ronjazz
    There is free audio software available, by the way. Audacity works well, and the hardware needs are minimal as well. It's good to record yourself, you'd be surprised at what you hear, and you will learn a lot!
    Thank you for the information. While that would help for now, I still need a microphone of some sort. The package I am looking at is not very expensive, but as guitar is just a hobby for me, it's hard to justify purchasing anything most times.