The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ten left thumbs
    OK, well here goes again. This is the second picking etude. I love this one. I could play it for hours. Well, at least minutes. Isn't it amazing how pretty a major scale can be?

Anyway
    picking p33.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

My own self critique is that sometimes I'm pushing the metronome, and the legato could be better (but how?). As for accuracy, what you hear is my normal level.

May be able to do videos next year.

I would love to do lessons, just for the motivation factor. However it's an expensive form of motivation. You guys are cheaper!

Can I tempt any other learners into recording?
    I think your self critique is pretty right on.

It sounds to me you are picking pretty hard which is a legitimate sound. But you may want to experiment with some softer picking which is a sound I prefer (not so much attack and rapid decay, it's a bit smoother when you pick softer). It may also sound more legato with less attack.

Also, that metronome is pretty loud on the recording. Perhaps place it behind the mic so it doesn't pick up as much.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

thanks for that fep. I'll try picking softer. I normally use a regular sized strumming pick (extra heavy) but pick with the shoulder. On the electric I used to use a wee chubby pick - maybe I should try with that.

User Info Menu

I had this book from way back when I was a beginner but never got thru it.

Now I'm opening it again due to this thread. Maybe I'll go thru it, it's always good to review things. I'll have to catch up though.

But skipping ahead to pg. 33, I just read thru this twice and then did this video, I'm reading...

User Info Menu

Ah, that's how it's done. I reckon you're allowed to skip.

The book would be heaving going for an absolute beginner.

User Info Menu

That pg. 33 exercise is some tricky picking that I'm not use too; all those string skips.

Normally I'd do that with hybrid picking (pick and fingers). But I stayed with the program and used pick only.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    ; all those string skips.
    No kidding. I noticed a few string skips too.

I've never really managed to make hybrid picking work. I use finger tips and they sound dull compared to the pick. It may just be the way I'm doing it, and maybe I just need an amp to make it work.

User Info Menu

Hey TLT,

I was thinking about what I said about picking hard. Even though I like the sound of lighter picking for myself... as I said picking hard is a legitimate sound.

For instance, picking hard, I think it's a characteristic of the gypsy jazz style. Nothing wrong with that.

User Info Menu

Hi fep, I suppose at the end of the day I want as many tricks up my sleeve as possible, so I can pull them out to give the effect I want? The impression I got from the start of the book is, here is how to pick, and it led me to pick in a certain way. Doesn't mean there's not more to it.

Today I tried with my wee pick (Dunlop jazz III, previously used only on the electric) and got good results, I think. With the wee pick I can use the pointy bit to pick and that means that the pick disturbs the previous note less (= better legato) compared to using the shoulder of a larger pick.

User Info Menu

I just started a poll to see if there is an interest in a study group specific thread. General discussions of the book would continue here, the proposed thread would be just for the study group.

Don't forget to vote.

https://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/getti...olume-one.html

User Info Menu

Sticking with the wee pick, and picking a little softer, I made these recordings of the duet in F (p 36).

I have the DVD playing on my computer (little laptop, pathetic speakers) and while the balance doesn't sound too bad in the recording - while I play, I can hardly hear the other part, so my timing is off in places.

pg 36 duet pt1.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage
    pg 36 duet pt2.mp3 - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

I really like this duet as it reminds me of a Joplin rag.

User Info Menu

Hey ten left thumbs,carry on playing like that and you might have to change your name to five left thumbs soon.Great job.Peace.

User Info Menu

Merry Christmas, ginger, and thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. Tell me, how did you know about my leprosy problem?

User Info Menu

TLT, an inexpensive pair of on-the-ear (not over-the-ear) headphones might make it easier to hear both the DVD and yourself while practising and recording. Even cheap ones will likely give you much better sound than laptop speakers. Or you could just plug an inexpensive pair of powered computer speakers into the headphone output of the laptop, and avoid the wires. Either will give you a huge improvement in sound quality, if not exactly hi-fi.

User Info Menu

Strumcat, that is an excellent idea. Turns out we had a couple of speakers just sitting there. What I realise, now playing along with the CD at reasonable volume, is just how much effort I had to put into playing soft - probably not all that great for my technique as a constant thing.

Anyway, here is the result of an afternoon messing around with my new toy (zoom q3 hd):

This is a little fast for me and there are a few mistakes. I'm glad to hear comments on the technique as I struggle with pretty much everything.

User Info Menu

Well thank god it turns out Ten left thumbs has perfectly normal hands and thumbs,otherwise i would have never forgiven myself for my earlier comment.It would not have been the first time i would have put my big feet in it either.Great relaxed playing with a nice soft touch.Your nickname does you no justice at all.Peace.

User Info Menu

Why, thank you ginger! I called myself 'ten left thumbs' for a piano forum where 'ten thumbs' was already taken. So then it was tlt, and it's somehow stuck.

I'm sure your feet are perfectly normal sized too.

Nuff Said Guest
    This is similar to how I play the Leavitt positions in all 12 keys in one position:

Enjoy
    Nuff

User Info Menu

Hi,
    This is a bit leftfield I know, but what else is it worth studying along with the Berklee Modern Method? I have read somewhere that you shouldn't spend all your time with the Method as it is fairly 'Dry'. I am into all kinds of music and currently reviewing the Part I of the book before I go on with Part II, Position Playing. Are there any particular things to do alongside? Any specific songs or books that would tie in nicely with it?
    Thanks, Drew

User Info Menu

drewboy, pick up "The Greatest Guitar Songbook". There may be a couple of different editions, so look through them to see which songs interest you. They are not advanced books, but contain lots of interesting tunes, plus some of the famous guitar licks of pop tunes from various eras, a few easy classical pieces, and a few standards and bossas, as well as very playable arrangements of Beatles tunes, folk tunes, etc. There's lot's of info and it will keep you busy utilizing what the Leavitt book has taught you.

User Info Menu

Hi Drew, I am also just about to launch into part II of the book. I have found some nice music playable from these:

The Real Guitar Book Volume One: Amazon.co.uk: Books
    25 Graded Pieces for Plectrum Guitar: Amazon.co.uk: Adrian Ingram: Books

User Info Menu

Thanks very much for the tips! I'm going to get hold of these shortly.

User Info Menu

I'm just about to start with this Book.. ^_^

User Info Menu

Hi there, I'm (finally) nearing the end, and a long journey it has been! You'll find the whole book is mapped out by a study group here on the forum.

User Info Menu

^_^ Indeed, i recently borrowed my friend's video guided series..quite long..i viewed some of the study groups discussion here, and honestly, it looks & sounds tedious specially for beginners like me.. Anyway, like any long journey, every step of the way should be enjoyed., and heeding the great advices from my Seniors here- pursuing jazz is a continuous and life long journey..

I'd be better following your study group discussions! I hope those who have already finished will still be available for comments, criticisms, and bashing,.

User Info Menu

I wouldn't describe it as tedious, but it is serious. For a genuine beginner it doesn't provide enough material to consolidate skills at each stage.

A real beginner wanting to go through this book would be well-advised to get regular help from a teacher.