The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 45 of 45

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by beasleybubba
    Learn arpeggios! Say the scale degrees out loud as you play: "one, three, five, seven..."

Play arp's through a chord progression that you know well, but stick to one area of the guitar neck to force you to use all possible arp shapes. This will also help your solo lines to flow as you learn to connect guide tones by starting an arp on a note other than the root.
    Great advice!!!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by solomarce1
    Neat trick. I've never thought of it like that, but rather as two diminished seventh chords.

User Info Menu

I wish I'd started ear training seriously from an early age. I'm slowly catching up, but it's pretty ridiculous how long it took me to discover the utility. I don't mean playing songs by ear, which I've always done, but actually learning to ID chord progressions, melodies, licks, etc. without the aid of an instrument. That and solfege have dramatically improved my abilities lately.

I also wish someone would come up with a standard plectrum guitar method and teach it. I look back at some of the incredibly stupid stuff that random music store guitar teachers have told me over the years about how to hold the pick, how to position the instrument, etc., and I'm amazed that I ever made it as far as I did with it. My first teacher taught me to hold the pick by the sides between my index and ring finger and then clasp the faces with my thumb and middle finger. WTF? If I'd had a good Benson picking tutorial when I was 15 and practicing all day, I doubt I'd have any of the technique issues I'm still working through.

Cest la vie!

User Info Menu

-it's the journey not the destination that counts
    -know the notes and intervals on the neck. It's the Rosetta Stone for a guitarist. Know it like a pianist knows the keyboard
    -learn the chord formulas
    -get the major and melodic minors under your fingers and in your heads
    -get the joe Elliott book and follow it. Arpeggios!
    -get familiar with 2 note 7/3 chord progressions
    -drop 2s and 3s
    -don't learn too many tunes at once. Work on one from multiple angles
    -you only need 1 guitar...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Neat trick. I've never thought of it like that, but rather as two diminished seventh chords.
    Yeah, Javier Arau the director of NYJA, is an amazing educator, he got tricks all over.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by solomarce1
    Yeah, Javier Arau the director of NYJA, is an amazing educator, he got tricks all over.
    Now that I think about it, I do use the fact that the diminished scale is two tetrachords a tritone apart. I just tend to think of the scale as "half-whole-..." not "whole-half-..." so this is a pattern I do over A7 (or Eb7):

A E F# G (up a tritone...) Eb Bb C C#

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badge
    Amen.

User Info Menu

I am still a relative newbie on guitar (~2 years) so there is still so much to learn, however I have learned a few things. I would like to credit Pierre Richard for summarizing in another thread what I have come to learn the hard way. The numbered items below are Pierre's, not mine.

1. play first...analyze later...
    2. application before theory...
    3. music is full of wonderful sounds just waiting for your ability to get to the point where "you" can hear them..
    4. the journey is better than the destination...
    5. time on the instrument...

Items 1, 2, and 5 really rang true for me.

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the internet as something found useful. I agree with this, however for me it is a mixed blessing. There is so much information out there you can get lost or unfocused if you don't know what you are doing. I wasted a lot of time pursuing "learn xxx on guitar in yyy days" techniques. I would move to the next "greatest" thing without spending real time on the instrument. The fault lies entirely with me. It was easier to believe that a how-to YouTube video contained the magic that was going to turn me into a jazz guitarist than it was to put in time on the instrument practicing the basics over and over until I internalized them.

In another thread someone mentioned to pick a book and stick with it. I chose to do that with Mickey Baker's Vol 1 book. I refused to move on from a lesson until I felt I could play it at a reasonable tempo. There were times that I felt I was missing out on something in my studies, but I must say that I have learned more these last couple of months than the last couple of years. Much of my learning consisted of "aha" moments where some obscure theory fact would become clear. The hours of practice have help me to become a much better listener.

The last thing I will share is that I think it is important to be clear, as well as realistic, about your goals. When I started my goal was to "play great jazz". That goal, although worthy, was too vague and too unrealistic for me. I did not even know the basics. After refining my goals I was able to apply more focus to my studies which helped with my problem of drifting from one thing to the next.

- Jack

User Info Menu

Buy a cheap keyboard or piano and books by Bill Boyd and John Mehegan and Mark Levine. Most jazz guitar is is mainly right hand stuff done by a pianist with a few added bass notes in the left hand.

By a couple of Real Books and learn tunes in several keys.

I will leave now before the bricks start flying (grins )

User Info Menu

Band in a Box and internet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Badge
    -
    Very true ... but it is so much more fun to have many

User Info Menu

I wish all of the real books were available when I started on Jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

A simple looper, like the TC Ditto. BIAB is great, but forcing you to lay down a comping track then playing over it (or the other way around) is a good exercise in timing.

User Info Menu

I wish that, when I was first starting out playing jazz, I'd found

1) my current teacher - lives just round the corner from me, so easy to find; is friendly, clear and concise; goes the extra mile

2) the workshop band that I attend - a great learning environment, like-minded people and a chance to play without too much judgement going on

Could have done without most of the books that I've ever bought on Method if I'd found those two earlier........

User Info Menu

I wished I'd realized a little earlier on that jazz was more unpopular than going to prison.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic gumbo
    I wished I'd realized a little earlier on that jazz was more unpopular than going to prison.
    Me too. In prison, I think the pay's better, and you always get fed! Oh, kidding...

User Info Menu

I wish someone had forced me to play in open position (frets 0-4), and playing scales up and down one string more as a beginner, I think that would have helped my horizontal thinking now!

User Info Menu

The most direct way to playing jazz on the guitar is Tanscribing/Learning by ear from recordings of the masters. For a good place to start...Kenny Burrel "Midnight Blue",Grant Green"Standards",Charlie Christian"The Genius of the Electric Guitar". If it is really hard at first that's okay it should be really hard. Here's a method to learning by ear...pick one song...listen to it nonstop for as many days as you need till you can sing it from memory, then start picking it out on the guitar a phrase at a time. Don't put pressure on yourself to do it fast, be accurate take your time.Have fun.... all the books,classes,methods are secondary to the performances on record, go there first learn from them first the rest is secondary.Good luck and remember to enjoy the journey.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by eddy b.
    The most direct way to playing jazz on the guitar is Tanscribing/Learning by ear from recordings of the masters. For a good place to start...Kenny Burrel "Midnight Blue",Grant Green"Standards",Charlie Christian"The Genius of the Electric Guitar". If it is really hard at first that's okay it should be really hard. Here's a method to learning by ear...pick one song...listen to it nonstop for as many days as you need till you can sing it from memory, then start picking it out on the guitar a phrase at a time. Don't put pressure on yourself to do it fast, be accurate take your time.Have fun.... all the books,classes,methods are secondary to the performances on record, go there first learn from them first the rest is secondary.Good luck and remember to enjoy the journey.
    I'm glad you explained that a bit..."learn by copping licks from the masters" always gets thrown out there as advice, but few people will actually tell you it's hard.

For transcribing/copping, I tell students to start with melodies...there's no need to look at solos as a raw beginner.

And of course, this supplements the thing I think is of #1 importance...learning tunes.