The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

I really like Wes Montgomery, does anyone know of a good song of his for a beginner jazz musician, I've played for 20 years, but no jazz until now.

Thanks,
    Josh
    atlas-stands

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Sundown is a blues that's pretty easy. Nice turnaround and the solo section is doable by anyone with some experience.

User Info Menu

There's a transcription floating around of "I've grown accustomed to her face" which gives you a really nice look at Wes' chordal style...beautiful and perfect in every way, but also very playable.

For a more "up" tune, "Four on Six" comes to mind as not being too difficult.

What are your plans? Looking for sheet music or going to pick it up by ear? Are you going to try to learn the solos or just pick up the head and chords and basic structure?

User Info Menu

Satin Doll? The head and the changes aren't too hard, but lots to explore with.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

For a more "up" tune, "Four on Six" comes to mind as not being too difficult.
    four on six not difficult? ;-) I tend to wait until students are somewhat advanced before I give them songs that modulate four times in four bars..

User Info Menu

I was going to start transcribing Polka Dots And Moonbeams pretty soon - sounds fairly straightforward and I can always drop the octaves if it's too difficult. Plus, it's so damn pretty.

User Info Menu

this is a tune by the montgomery brothers that I don't think is well known, that I really like

snowfall (it was used for some pictures someone posted on youtube)

but, I don't think it's easy to learn.

great tune though

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortenFaerestrand
    four on six not difficult? ;-) I tend to wait until students are somewhat advanced before I give them songs that modulate four times in four bars..
    That's true, but it's straightforward stuff--some descending ii--V's...

Then again, I'm of the school of thought that "So What" is a difficult place to start, but it seems a lot of teachers like that one...

User Info Menu

Bumpin is a slow blues and a great tune.

User Info Menu

All of them are hard to play up to tempo for me. I know ten songs. Four on Six is not hard to play, but up to tempo it is, at least for me. I can play them all really well at about 80-90% speed. I've slowed them down with audio software and put them on my i-Pod. Sundown is probably the easiest and Besame Mucho the hardest. His octave playing in general is the the hardest IMO. I sometimes feel he speed up the recordings, but I know he didn't because they are all in concert A.

User Info Menu

"Tear It Down" has been a favorite of mine lately.

User Info Menu

"Jingles" is another good one. Lots of space to play on that.

User Info Menu

Sundown, Tear it down and The Thumb are easy blues tunes with a nice lead/chord accent heads...

Here's Rich Severson teaching "Tear it Down"...

WES MONTGOMERY'S "TEAR IT DOWN" HEAD (Demo)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin' Brian
    Sundown is a blues that's pretty easy. Nice turnaround and the solo section is doable by anyone with some experience.
    Wow - how is it I've never heard this song??? Thanks for the tip - I know what my next transcription is going to be now!!

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the leads everyone, this will keep me busy for a while

One quick question, do any jazz players use finger picks, the kind that you slip on? I know blues players do a lot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff
    Wow - how is it I've never heard this song??? Thanks for the tip - I know what my next transcription is going to be now!!
    Jeff maybe you missed it because it's on one of the orchestrated albums (Goin' Out Of My Head) that we sometimes tend to pass on. But there are gems in those records.

Chim Chim Cheree on has an amazing solo in it, also on the same record. Actually that whole record is damned good.

User Info Menu

movin wes....wives and lovers...bumpin on sunset...california dreamin...

goin out of my head...the shadow of your smile...

these IMO are somewhat easy compared to some of them...

time on the instrument...pierre

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joshatatlasstands
    Thanks for all the leads everyone, this will keep me busy for a while

One quick question, do any jazz players use finger picks, the kind that you slip on? I know blues players do a lot.
    not too many, no. but there are exceptions to everything. thumb pick anyway.

Last edited by fumblefingers; 05-14-2011 at 12:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the songs, I can't wait to pick up the guitar now

User Info Menu

In my opinion, have structured practice time and work on a narrow issue. Make sure you come out of the practice session with some measureable progress. Then have some noodling time where you can lay down a rhythm track and improvise over.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bachplay6
    In my opinion, have structured practice time and work on a narrow issue. Make sure you come out of the practice session with some measurable progress. Then have some noodling time where you can lay down a rhythm track and improvise over.
    I'll do the best I can on structure, lol, I usually have to play my guitar with a toddler hanging off my elbow and another on my shoulders. No worries, they will be old enough to be easier around instruments by next year some time. I'm looking forward to the day when they just want to dance on the hardwood while I play some cool jazz for them...my idea of peace.

Thanks for all the suggested songs, I'll chew on them for a while and then ask for more.

Josh

User Info Menu

The first Wes tune I fell in love with.... Bumpin On Sunset. It is a laid back octave groove. I first heard it played by a house band at a club I used to hang it. They would play it to calm things down, but still a nice groove people would dance to.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by docbop
    The first Wes tune I fell in love with.... Bumpin On Sunset. It is a laid back octave groove. I first heard it played by a house band at a club I used to hang it. They would play it to calm things down, but still a nice groove people would dance to.

Sounds like exactly the style of song I'm looking for. I'm very grateful for the suggestion.

Josh

User Info Menu

Jingles...
    I pretty much play any Wes tune... one of my childhood hero's . If you want video of any, let me know, even if I don't, most of his tunes I can read through easy enough ... I have his feel, I totally dig it... even 50 years later...Reg
    Last edited by Reg; 05-27-2011 at 02:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Reg, very cool of you to offer the video! Thank you! I will take you up on it if I run across a snag. I've played for years, just new to the Jazz thing, I pick up on things fairly well, hopefully I won't need to hold too many hands in the beginning processes. Wes Montgomery's octaves are very similar to old school power chords, so I intend to use that as a intro into my scale practice and my understanding of how 9ths and 7ths work,

thanks again!

It's interesting being a beginner all over again at something so familiar

Josh