The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Also, I must say I am not accustomed to learning how to read music in order to learn how to play music, in any form. I've always learned by sight and ear, so videos are great for me, thanks again.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When I started learning Wes' songs I started with Carriba and Impressions, I think. Soon after that Freddie Freeloader and Four On Six and The Road Song (which is not easy actually), and later Four On Six, West Coast Blues. Actually I started mostly with the stuff that's in the RealBook, come to think of it...

There are quite a lot of tabs to be found on the net, which can be helpful, but transcribing by ear is always the best excercise I think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by joshatatlasstands
    Also, I must say I am not accustomed to learning how to read music in order to learn how to play music, in any form. I've always learned by sight and ear, so videos are great for me, thanks again.
    That's a funny subject... There really shouldn't be like two camps for learning to play tunes, by ear and memory or reading... They go hand in hand, you can heard when a players ears don't work so well or should I say... haven't been exposed or developed. And the same for not readers with arrangements etc... But for playing gigs, it sure nice when players are musicians... they read and have ears. If your just getting into jazz, I would make sight reading just as important as any other technical study... Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    That's a funny subject... There really shouldn't be like two camps for learning to play tunes, by ear and memory or reading... They go hand in hand, you can heard when a players ears don't work so well or should I say... haven't been exposed or developed. And the same for not readers with arrangements etc... But for playing gigs, it sure nice when players are musicians... they read and have ears. If your just getting into jazz, I would make sight reading just as important as any other technical study... Reg

I had piano/violin when I was very young (1st and 2nd grade). I also had to take classes in college that required us to identify all increments by ear, but neither of those actually allows for a real time performance while reading at the same time. I can sorta hang with tab at a decent speed, but I can get left behind some. I hear ya, to know it is to learn it from every angle. I'm the same way about things. Hopefully I have enough time behind me to get to the point where I can play a gig and read in one sitting.

Thanks again for the video offers as well, very cool.

I'm going to get severely schooled this weekend at a festival called the Blue Plum. They'll have a dedicated Jazz stage all weekend and I'll get to see some really talented Jazz artists up close!

Josh

User Info Menu

Sounds like your in good direction, Reg

User Info Menu

4 On 6 is new melody on the Summertime jazz changes.

User Info Menu

Hey Ron... that's cool...a little different harmonically , but close. I never really heard anyone say that before... did you pick up somewhere or did you notice similar root motion.... I'm just curious if that's from Wes... Thanks Reg

Mr. Walker is a great place to start. Good vibe and lots of space. I also learned Cariba early on. Four on Six depends: You do it at the tempo from IJG and it's not too bad. The version on Half Note cooks and might take a bit more practice. While 'Round Midnight isn't a Wes tune, his version of it is a great, down-tempo place to get a handle on his single note-octaves-block chords approach.

I also second the "I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face" motion. Beautiful, beautiful chord work, and not terribly difficult. Great piece to play for solo numbers, too. The head to Days of Wine and Roses also features some similar, fantastic chord work, and there's a transcription out there of that one, too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    Hey Ron... that's cool...a little different harmonically , but close. I never really heard anyone say that before... did you pick up somewhere or did you notice similar root motion.... I'm just curious if that's from Wes... Thanks Reg
    phil bailey introduces it as such on the relevant aebersold volume (62)...

User Info Menu

ed byrne has opined that the chord progression of summertime is not original with gershwin, but was common currency of the day, much like "the blues"...

User Info Menu

Thanks Randall... and I agree with Ed... which standard flavor do you want...

User Info Menu

I do hear Four on six first turn around with constant structure lydian b7's as a little unique...