The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

I am a beginner Jazz guitarist and I need some direction and Instruction.Currently can't read sheet music but rely on tAB.
    Looks like ton of you like Mikey Baker book...but anything else I should consider?
    Thank you

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I really liked her "Jazz Anatomy" 2-disc instructional project. Lots of great ideas, very accessible, very well thought out. Highly recommended!

Amazon.com: Jazz Anatomy: 2-DVD Set: Mimi Fox, True Fire: Movies & TV

User Info Menu

true fire has a beginners course and a course about modes, others about theory etc. you may want to try some of those before you tackle her courses, which are excellent.

I haven't tried the video course but I'm in one of her classes at the Jazz School in Berkeley, Ca. She's a pretty good teacher and explains things pretty thoroughly in person, and I'm sure that her video courses are no different, as long as your rewind button works well. You'll need to have a pretty good understanding of Theory, though. If you don't, than use your money to get some theory lessons! Also, get away from that TAB! If you could imagine what your spoken vocabulary would be like if you couldn't read English, not reading music limits you in a similar way. Not having it and only relying on your ears and TAB really puts a cap on how much that you can know. I only know because I stayed in the dark and worked way harder than I needed to for far too many years. My world has opened up since I've learned to read!

User Info Menu

Hi Davit, after watching your video i felt that one thing you could improve on is note placement.To me you hit a lot of outside notes on the strong beats in particular beat three,now i dont know if this was your intention or not but fo my ears its better to aim for chord tones on beats one and three and place chromatic notes in between as connecting tones.Remember though music is subjective so if this is the sound you were aiming for then well done,if not start studying people like charlie parker who were masters of this sort of thing.Itwould be nice to know where you are as far as theory is concerned though,

User Info Menu

Hi Davit. I was wondering what fingering system you're using.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sage hopkins
    Also, get away from that TAB! If you could imagine what your spoken vocabulary would be like if you couldn't read English, not reading music limits you in a similar way.
    Best advice for sure. If you want to be a musician, learn to speak, read and write the language.

User Info Menu

Guys, don't sign up for courses. Transcribe the masters. It's all there for the taking.

User Info Menu

I have the graduated solos course and it is good. She has a book of Arpeggios which I think is a better first step. It's not just arpeggios, but the process of applying it to tunes. I also liked the Larry Carlton 335 Blues course as something that can sort of bridge from rock or blues playing into more jazz oriented playing.

User Info Menu

Davit,

I liked your playing. Keep at it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    Guys, don't sign up for courses. Transcribe the masters. It's all there for the taking.

what about an approach that includes both? any harm done?

Quote Originally Posted by gingerjazz
    Hi Davit, after watching your video i felt that one thing you could improve on is note placement.To me you hit a lot of outside notes on the strong beats in particular beat three,now i dont know if this was your intention or not but fo my ears its better to aim for chord tones on beats one and three and place chromatic notes in between as connecting tones.Remember though music is subjective so if this is the sound you were aiming for then well done,if not start studying people like charlie parker who were masters of this sort of thing.Itwould be nice to know where you are as far as theory is concerned though,
    I tried mimicking Jazz for whatever I could.To be honest I knew some notes were off but could not "find" the right ones either...
    I am a beginner but I love Jazz and guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by sage hopkins
    I haven't tried the video course but I'm in one of her classes at the Jazz School in Berkeley, Ca. She's a pretty good teacher and explains things pretty thoroughly in person, and I'm sure that her video courses are no different, as long as your rewind button works well. You'll need to have a pretty good understanding of Theory, though. If you don't, than use your money to get some theory lessons! Also, get away from that TAB! If you could imagine what your spoken vocabulary would be like if you couldn't read English, not reading music limits you in a similar way. Not having it and only relying on your ears and TAB really puts a cap on how much that you can know. I only know because I stayed in the dark and worked way harder than I needed to for far too many years. My world has opened up since I've learned to read!
    Any good book you can recommend on reading music? Thank you.I do feel kind of left out specially timing.Its hard expressing time in TAB form.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin' Brian
    Hi Davit. I was wondering what fingering system you're using.
    None....I have zero knowledge about modes scales exception A pentatonic scale.
    I have vague concept of arpeggios.I know what they are and I try different versions to see which sound good.
    I know some theory that is every scale relating to MAJOR scale.I have not studied the mechanics of fingering.I know what you mean.Like one finger per fret concept.
    I know I have ton of learning....

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbler
    Davit,

I liked your playing. Keep at it.
    Thanks a lot.This means a lot to me.Sometimes I get discouraged from lack of teacher and direction and I start doubting my own abilities.
    Thank you it means a lot to me

Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I am a painter an artist and If I gave a Rembrandt to rookie student and said copy that I am sure she/he would turn pale chalk.
    But If I explain that head is like an egg. Eyebrows divide the face in equal sides.Ears line up with bottom of the nostrils etc then it becomes more doable.
    Even If I copies exact solo from a master I would not know why he played what he played.
    Or how.....How part is what I want to learn.

User Info Menu

Davit i really feel that you are in need of some guidance,without this a student can easily spend a lot of valuable practice time going down the wrong path.Have you considered gong to a teacher.If this is not an option for you then keep asking questions on here,you are sure to get a lot if insight from the very knowledgeable and experienced players around here.

User Info Menu

Hi,

Graduated solos is really great, but not for beginners. So you're better of starting with Jazz Anatomy, which is hard work but paying off. There are no chords written over the charts in Jazz Anatomy, just notes and tabs, so you have to figure them out by yourself (lots of inversions, etc).

Cheers, Modalguru

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Davit

I am a beginner Jazz guitarist and I need some direction and Instruction.Currently can't read sheet music but rely on tAB.
    Looks like ton of you like Mikey Baker book...but anything else I should consider?
    Thank you
    I think Mimi Fox is a great musician and teacher. I have seen her materials and they are really good, but I wouldn't say they are for a beginner. I would say a beginner to Jazz, not not a beginning guitarist.

You may want to check out TrueFire website who made Mimi's courses they have classes for all levels and styles of guitar.

Truefire.com

User Info Menu

Davit,

I've read all your posts in this thread (and listened to your playing - good, by the way!) - and it's clear that you're serious and want to do this right. I'm not a professional-level player, but I do think I know ONE way of getting you where you seem to be wanting to go.

1. Get a smart teacher if you can find one. In some parts of the world, they are very, very scarce.

2. Get the DVD version of William Leavitt's A Modern Method for Guitar, Volume One. This is one of the first texts used at Boston's Berklee School of Music, and the whole series, 3 volumes, is superbly thought-out. You should work through this first volume in about 4 months or less. A semester, I think. The teacher on the DVD will guide you, and you'll always have a professional guitarist to play the note-reading duets with. A great advantage here! Don't skip over any part of the book, but it's very important to remember: Leavitt didn't intend that you should "master" any of the material before moving on. HOWEVER, he did intend that you must continually come back and review the previous lessons. This is the best way to learn anything. Mastery doesn't happen quickly, so there's no use in holding yourself back while it is happening. Move on, but always review, and eventually you will master the whole book. You might be well into Volume 2 or 3 before you feel that you have a rock-solid understanding of all the concepts in Vol. 1. Here's the link at Amazon: Amazon.com: A Modern Method for Guitar - Volume 1: Book/DVD-ROM Pack (Method (Berklee Press)) (9780876390696): William Leavitt, Larry Baione: Books

3. Get Jody Fisher's *awesome* book Complete Jazz Guitar Method. The Leavitt book will teach you to read notation, teach you the best (imo) fingering system, will teach you theory for guitar, etc. (after Vol. 1 comes Volumes 2 & 3, though!) -- while the Jody Fisher book will teach you to play jazz. You need both. Make these books your life. Here's Jody Fisher: Amazon.com: Complete Jazz Guitar Method: Intermediate Jazz Guitar (Book Only) (9780739021545): Jody Fisher: Books

4. Listen to recorded music as much as possible. Not just guitarists, but since you're playing guitar, let your ears become super-familiar with the sounds of players like Wes Montgomery; Joe Pass; George Benson (early stuff, esp.); Jim Raney; Django Reinhardt; Herb Ellis; Pat Metheny; Jim Hall; all the great players.

5. Practice to the unerring click of a metronome. Or a backing track, or a drum machine.

6. Practice ear training (lots of free online ear-training sites) and transcribe recorded solos that you like.

Hope this helps!

KJ
    Last edited by Kojo27; 06-01-2011 at 07:53 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey KJ,

Just wanted to thank you for the advice. I'd been looking to backtrack a little on my foundation and these books seem like a great way to do it. Just ordered them!