The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Jazz is like satanism. You really need to go all in if you expect to reap any benefits.
    I double-dog-dares you to post that on TDPRI.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Oh, I have brother. Got some interesting PM's.

User Info Menu

Jazz is like satanism. You really need to go all in if you expect to reap any benefits.
    That's one way to put it! Great line. And true---if you're not going to give it your all, don't bother.

From the other side of the coin, G. K. Chesterton said, "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." I take solace in that. I hope I do it better than badly, but I would rather play guitar badly than, say, sell real estate well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markerhodes
    That's one way to put it! Great line. And true---if you're not going to give it your all, don't bother.

From the other side of the coin, G. K. Chesterton said, "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." I take solace in that. I hope I do it better than badly, but I would rather play guitar badly than, say, sell real estate
    well.
    I love the realty angle; I worked for a realtor who is an amateur jazz guitarist and he had the same opinion. I'll tell you though, he eats more regularly than I do (although perhaps not with the way the housing market is these days).

User Info Menu

True enough--mind you, I have a day job I'm not giving up.

But when I decided to play jazz "for real" 10 years ago or so, I had to put in some time!

On another music forum I belong to, you see folks ask questions like "what scale can I use to sound jazzy?" or "I want to learn a little jazz..." Those posts get all these BS answers that won't get the cat anywhere...I used to post on 'em but now I try bite my tongue. Nobody wants to hear that it's going to be hard, take a long time, and involve work.

Looks like our OP has a good head on his shoulders, he realizes what he's in for--hope he sticks around...I learn something here every day.

User Info Menu

Nobody wants to hear that it's going to be hard, take a long time, and involve work.
    I know. T. S. Eliot said the human mind can only handle so much reality. It's hard--for a beginner--to appreciate how long it will take and how hard it will be and how frustrating it will still be (sometimes) even after all that. There's really no way for them *to* understand it. It's why they want the silver bullet, though. Unfortunately, there isn't one. (Though I think if there *were* a silver bullet for jazz, it would be focusing on rhythm first because if you can swing like mad, simple lines sound fine, but if you can't swing like mad, nothing you play is gonna move anybody.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markerhodes
    I know. T. S. Eliot said the human mind can only handle so much reality. It's hard--for a beginner--to appreciate how long it will take and how hard it will be and how frustrating it will still be (sometimes) even after all that. There's really no way for them *to* understand it. It's why they want the silver bullet, though. Unfortunately, there isn't one. (Though I think if there *were* a silver bullet for jazz, it would be focusing on rhythm first because if you can swing like mad, simple lines sound fine, but if you can't swing like mad, nothing you play is gonna move anybody.)
    When I first began to learn to play guitar, I knew that I would be doing it for the rest of my life. Every small thing I learned; every chord, every song, every lick, scale or bit of theory was a moment of profound joy.

I grew up in a time when "instant gratification" was unheard of. Everyone understood that to learn and become proficient at a skill of any kind required a large investment of self and time. It's a shame that this has been forgotten.

It truly is all about the journey.

Regards,
    monk

User Info Menu

"When I first began to learn to play guitar, I knew that I would be doing it for the rest of my life. Every small thing I learned; every chord, every song, every lick, scale or bit of theory was a moment of profound joy.

I grew up in a time when "instant gratification" was unheard of. Everyone understood that to learn and become proficient at a skill of any kind required a large investment of self and time. It's a shame that this has been forgotten.

It truly is all about the journey.

Regards,
    monk"

Point taken...but you haven't forgotten, i haven't forgotten..i pass as much info as i can to people i teach..along with the insights i have discovered through the learning process...the many "ah ha" moments that come unexpected and open up months of ridged intense study into fretboard freedom..trying to "teach" the joy part of learning an art form that could be described as arcane, ascetic and isolate..the months and years of playing standards in non-standard keys..just to expand your ability..transposing exercises in 12 keys and playing chords in all possible inversions..

i like "smooth jazz" and jazz jazz...swing, blues, fusion-miles style and rock..to be able to play it the way you hear it is worth every second of frustration understanding that theory is not the music..as a map is not the territory...

play well

wolf