The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 29 of 29

User Info Menu

KingCrimson,

Maybe you want to check out the thread on Bright Size Life when it gets cooking, or isn't that modal jazz?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Hey everyone, sorry, been gone for a bit. Wanted to say that this thread has been very helpful, both in the comments and videos posted. I've been digesting some of the stuff in it and the difference in my playing has been incredible. I played Milestones (as well as So What) live a few nights ago and I felt it went pretty well.

Another big thing that's helped is, actually, a course I'm taking on songwriting. Working in ideas (such as the sequences mentioned above... Cannonball's solo has actually been a massive influence on me in that regard, and rhythmic repetition, and all that sort of thing) from writing melodies has gone a long way towards being able to play over long stretches without changes. It's pushing me a bit towards what I believe ks was talking about when he said the way modal playing as Miles envisioned it - not my original point when I started the thread, but I find myself intrigued by it.

I'm still left in awe when I watch something like this, though:
    . That's what I really want to work towards being able to play - that is, the way he uses the loose changes of the song as a springboard to being able to express himself however he wants.

User Info Menu

hey KC250... sounds cool. there's a reason modal playing evolved to where as i said in my video... It's a very small collection of material to express what one has to say... Listen to what players actually play as compared to what they say. Even Miles bio. has to be taken as what is is .... a rehash of what happened a long time before. There are other versions of the same stories... But as you said, playing in a simple modal style forces one to learn how to develop ideas rhythmically and make the very mechanical process of melodic development become internal and more instinctive which leads to your personal character coming out which is what improvisation is about. Best of luck and if I can help in any way, let me know... Reg

User Info Menu

KC, cool video! That dude is an encyclopedia of jazz! Man...