The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

Hi,
    I practise jazz by myself for 2 years and I need an advice regarding "rythm changes" tunes :
    I usually work a standard tune by using the arpeggios all across the neck. That work pretty well for meduim swing tunes but i was wondering if it was not a dead end for fast rythm changes tunes ?
    Anyone thinks that I should stick to my method : that is to say : trying to go through the tune using arpeggios and increasing slowly the tempo ? or do you think it's not appropriate considering that nobody plays rythm changes using that kind of fast changing arpeggios ... Am I clear ?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

You could play the A sections of Rhythm Changes all in one key basically. Play it by ear. Just jam over it like a blues but in the major scale or other appropriate scale. This makes it easier to play fast.

It really only changes keys in the Bridge.

But using arpeggios is very good practice. Or mix things up.
    Last edited by Drumbler; 06-06-2010 at 07:18 AM.

User Info Menu

The Aebersold book on Rhythm Changes actually has a lot of good content. It addresses both the A and B sections, and various different types of Rhythm Changes.

User Info Menu

thanks all of you for your kind answers, your advice had help me a lot

User Info Menu

I usually play something bluesy over the 1st four bars and burn some bop over the last four bars of "A" sections. On the bluesy 1st four bars of A, I break it down again in similar manor, I use a call and answer type of compound or two part melodic idea... 1st bar simple blues theme, 2nd bar answer with more active lines, same for bars 3 and 4. 1st time through tune I might use same pattern through out and start to burn on 2nd time through, try and build both rhythmically and melodically. If you have chops it's cool to burn through the bridge to set up burnin longer notes or double stops type of last "A", something from your 1st blusey ideas...Best Reg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Reg
    I usually play something bluesy over the 1st four bars and burn some bop over the last four bars of "A" sections. On the bluesy 1st four bars of A, I break it down again in similar manor, I use a call and answer type of compound or two part melodic idea... 1st bar simple blues theme, 2nd bar answer with more active lines, same for bars 3 and 4. 1st time through tune I might use same pattern through out and start to burn on 2nd time through, try and build both rhythmically and melodically. If you have chops it's cool to burn through the bridge to set up burnin longer notes or double stops type of last "A", something from your 1st blusey ideas...Best Reg
    That's a lot of burnin'! :-)

User Info Menu

yeah, there's a lot of ways to approach RC...here's what I've been into lately. (example shown in Bb, cuz, if you know RC in one key, make it be Bb)

bars 1-4: some kind of Bb major idea--I like to target the V here and play off the F7 somehow when it pops up.

Bar 5 into 6: I like a little blues scale here, and depending on what the second chord of bar 6 is, i like to hit it cleanly (I espeically like it as a iv)

bridge: If the rhythms playing 2 bars of each dominant chord, I like to superimpose the ii a bit as well.

User Info Menu

You can get a bit lazy playing rhythm changes.

I think you should try to avoid getting lazy with it.

Playing your arpeggios over it and building up your speed is a good idea so I'd not let that go.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FatJeff
    That's a lot of burnin'! :-)
    Were talkin bebop... sometimes when I can get away with it, depending on gig, I take off on first chorus ( burning ), and use melodic and harmonic development to give shape to solo. I dig playin this style sometimes and audiences go nuts when I can pull it off. There's something about being on the edge of crash and burn that audiences dig, especially when you don't. I get hired for a lot of gigs just for that reason and it's never boring...Best Reg

User Info Menu

I know Reg, I was just funnin' ya.

User Info Menu

Hey ! thank you ! nice answers here ! I definitely want to stick to the arpeggios thing just for the sake of practicing but I also want to dig that bluesy things on certain group of bars, and, of course, considering the burnin' too

User Info Menu

Hey Jeff ... I know man, I just take ever chance I can to push us as player to remember... the audience needs to be more than musicians and we need to help make them enjoy jazz. Best Reg

User Info Menu

Hey Jeffroi:
    I practice on rhythm changes prgressions on a regular basis as there are so many tunes that you can play over once you have some licks together..Accentuate the Positive, Paper Moon, Jeepers Creepers, Pick Yourself Up, etc.

What I do which seems to work pretty good is play Bb major Blues or G minor ( add the b5) Blues ideas over measures 1-4, then switch to Bb minor blues ideas or Eb Dom Bebop scale over 5-6 then back to Bb major/G minor blues over 7-8...on the bridge I use the mixo scale or Dom bebop of teh chord or maybe some ii dorian or vi pentationic..depends on the bridge. The songs listed above all have different bridges in them so it depends..I try to target the 7 and 3 are target notes....

sure wouldl be easier of I had any talent...

User Info Menu

I know there are many versions/variants. Which is the most "popular" version, or one I need to know if I go to a jam???

I would like to know what people actually play.

Thanks, Sailor

User Info Menu

Another good treatment on this is the book "The Jazz Musician's Guide to Practicing" by David Berkman. There's a whole chapter on Rhythm Changes.