The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 92

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    And let us not forget the 'king of spy jazz guitar' Vic Flick. Here he is playing the same exact guitar he played the 007 Theme.
    So a spy jazz-guitar has a transparent pickguard? Or is that actually a spy-jazz guitar (in which case all odds are off)?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RLetson View Post
    UK Danger Man.
    I'm glad you're a fan of Danger Man. Nothing like it :-)

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

There is so much information on the parent site.

User Info Menu

By the way, the chord diagram at the end of that vid is misleading, it seems to have done a mirror thing on itself. Should look like this:

Can you call the music for J.Bond movies a genre?-em_m9-jpg

I think I've seen every single Bond movie, most of them multiple times (the older ones). How about you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    So what you are saying is Barry totally Zimmered him?
    Yeah, there was a very depressing article in the Times about how film composers like Zimmer rarely write an entire score.
    He farms it out to a bunch of young film composers, who work for dirt cheap wages to write out a few cues, and then don't get called back for months for any more work.
    The article depicts the job of a film composer as turning into a minimum wage dead end, with only a few guys like Zimmer able to make a living at it.

User Info Menu

Laurie Johnson

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Enlightened Rogue View Post
    The “Spy Music” genre is no different than the “Spaghetti Western” music and movie genre.
    I was aware of the movie music genre but never considered that there could be different genres within. It's true that this music is supposed to support/enhance the atmosphere of the movie, so I guess it figures. (There's a lot of "contemporary", dodekakophonic and deadly serious music out there that definitely fits under the "horror music" category ).

I agree with Ennio Moricone, but I'd put John Williams ex-aequo.

Problem with the Bond movies is that they have the Bond theme but they all also have a theme song. I think the only genre those share is that of "hit song"?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu View Post
    I think I've seen every single Bond movie, most of them multiple times (the older ones). How about you?
    I recently decided to watch them all again, in order. Just finished the Connery era. The only ones I had not yet seen were On Her Majesty's Secret Service (wow- very underrated!), and a couple of the newer Daniel Craig ones.

Connery is my favorite, followed by Craig. Next up are all the Roger Moore ones, which were the ones from when I was a kid. But they're so cheesy I'm not sure I can sit through them again LOL.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
    I recently decided to watch them all again, in order. Just finished the Connery era. The only ones I had not yet seen were On Her Majesty's Secret Service (wow- very underrated!
    I recently started reading the books again. I always liked Fleming's style, and I'm not disappointed now either. OHMSS is probably the best of the series.

Craig was pretty good indeed (except Bond wasn't supposed to be a blonde). What's been eating at me though is how movies (and series) like this have been falling for a sort of escalation syndrome where every next installment has to be even more high-stakes, faster, badder etc. than the previous. You don't get that in the books at all, and and that last/final Bond movie had me both "whew" and "damn it's over". (Can we expect a series of Bond origin movies now?)

FWIW, I just watched "The ministery of ungentlemanly warfare". A bit predictable as movies go, Churchill's character seemed pretty weak (but possibly perfectly authentic) and Fleming's not helped being played by one of the actual loosers from Slow Horses. What I did not realise until the end is that apparently it's based on historic fact and that one of the main characters is the probable inspiration for Fleming's James Bond. So, recommended watching for any Bond fan.

User Info Menu

The “Spy Music” genre is no different than the “Spaghetti Western” music and movie genre.
    The Spaghetti Western probably is a genre but movies should not be confused with their themes. Film music per se is not actually a genre.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post
    The Spaghetti Western probably is a genre but movies should not be confused with their themes. Film music per se is not actually a genre.

It's not? But don't they give out Grammys for "best film scores"?

Ah... I see the category has been combined into score/soundtrack. I would still argue that "film score" is indeed a genre. I would not apply that to soundtracks which are usually a collection of popular songs.

You can't compare the Top Gun soundtrack to The Star Wars Ep. 4 score LOL

User Info Menu

No I don’t regard film music as a genre. It does have some generic aspects tho.

Film music has always been a stylistic magpie. If go back to the likes of Korngokd, Steiner, Young and Kaper they were clearly drawing primarily the late romantic style which was already starting to fade for the European concert hall. Anyone familiar with the history of western music will recognise their inspiration. At one point Korngold was regarded the natural heir or Gustav Mahler.

We associate this style with the Hollywood Golden age. By the time Williams was writing the pop music soundtrack and jazz score had already long been established. Williams was indeed harking back to it - the Star Wars music is a mix of this style and a more modern percussive and dissonant style influenced by Stravinsky, Bartok etc.

So for example, John Williams mashes up a couple of genres here ‘Penderecki style contemporary clusters’ and ‘shameless Straussian romanticism.’ Quite consciously I think writing ‘film music.’

I can’t imagine how much John Williams enjoyed writing this pastiche late romantic score, maybe as much as I enjoy listening to it. It’s always a little too musically interesting to lapse into pure schmaltz IMO (not that I have anything against well executed schmaltz.)

His own concert music is a little less ‘throwbacky’ while still recognisably him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    Craig was pretty good indeed (except Bond wasn't supposed to be a blonde). What's been eating at me though is how movies (and series) like this have been falling for a sort of escalation syndrome where every next installment has to be even more high-stakes, faster, badder etc. than the previous. You don't get that in the books at all, and and that last/final Bond movie had me both "whew" and "damn it's over". (Can we expect a series of Bond origin movies now?)
    Thats very much on point. The need to baffle the audience is not working well with that series at all. It was mostly all about suspense and a bit of humor, but nowadays they try to trump every previous movie with some extra craziness. Like Marvel does. It's a trap.
    Eh, when Moore went to space and they started shooting lazors, I was thinking the same, though I was only 16.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim View Post
    Yeah, there was a very depressing article in the Times about how film composers like Zimmer rarely write an entire score.
    He farms it out to a bunch of young film composers, who work for dirt cheap wages to write out a few cues, and then don't get called back for months for any more work.
    The article depicts the job of a film composer as turning into a minimum wage dead end, with only a few guys like Zimmer able to make a living at it.

Unions were good, we ought to think about having them again.

User Info Menu

Something else occurred to me about Williams- he’s always had accusations of plagiarism. The elephant in the room is that or course this comes from the practice of temp tracking. An educated ear can go through the score of Star Wars and be able to pick up exactly on what the temp track for the rough cut must have been.

Being told to ‘write me something that sounds exactly like this, but not actionable’ is the most common brief for an up and coming composer. So I completely absolve Williams. If anything it shows that George (and maybe Marci) Lucas should have credit for giving Williams such a clear brief in what kind of music he wanted - something all creatives wish they could get reliably haha .

Otoh it’s often the composer who carries the liability when they find themselves on the wrong side of copyright law. It’s pretty rotten.

By the time he got to Empire I think he had more trust to get on with it. I think Empire is a much better score than the original Star Wars.

Two other scores that are hugely shaped by their temp tracks spring to mind - Gladiator (earlyish Zimmer) and Brazil (Kamen) in the latter case I feel it’s done with a charming knowing wink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
    It's not? But don't they give out Grammys for "best film scores"?
    I don't understand your logic. The score is not the movie.

I would still argue that "film score" is indeed a genre.
    You may argue it but scores are not genres. You should check the meaning of genre.

Is Film Music A Genre? — Composer Class

User Info Menu

“Spaghetti Western” and “Spy” movie soundtracks are members of the sub genre “Cinematic Classical”which is one of the 203 sub genres of “Classical Music.” Both SW and Spy are recognized for awards, etc. but under the umbrella of the classical music genre.
    In my day sources were provided for authoritative statements.

User Info Menu

I'm a big fan of Bond flicks (Vic Flick?) but haven't seen any of the post Moore movies.
    Goldfinger has to be my favorite.

User Info Menu

There's a few Barney Kessel/Julie London songs that strongly remind me of James Bond songs...

This has about 1% of mandatory connection to the "genre" but the rest, the 99% is done as '80s gym music.

User Info Menu

1. List of Classical music genres….Wikipedia, etc
    I've seen most of those, and I agree, but you won't impress me by deluging the post with a hundred film themes!

I was going to pre-empt your answer anyway. The word genre is generally only defined as a certain category of something, usually art, music, literary, or whatever, therefore it's bound to lead to confusion and varying definitions. Not only that, but it also seems to include genres within genres.

For that reason I don't think it's worth entering into a long, and possibly futile, debate. Personally, I'd be happy for those who want to use the word to apply it as they think fit. Providing, of course, that it makes some kind of rational sense in the context in which it's being used.

So if we want to say spy films, James Bond films, or romantic, war and comedy films are their own genre, so be it. Or that the soundtracks of those movies have their own genres, equally so be it.

But you have to admit it's fairly sloppy use of language and definition. At least, I think so.

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1 View Post

But you have to admit it's fairly sloppy use of language and definition. At least, I think so.
    There are very few things more sloppy and vague as language in our world.

User Info Menu

Absolutely. Dictionaries are usually clear on meanings but the great unwashed aren't going to pay much attention to that, innit?