The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

My right knee is suddenly giving me problems - wear and tear. No doubt the cartilage is shot at. Drove 5hrs down into Spain last week and now waiting for the X-ray. Mostly it amounts to a workaround at this stage, but have not yet worked out how to sit to practice and avoid having the leg bent at right angles/inactive for extended periods.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

David

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

We discussed the subject in this thread:

CBD for painful finger joints

I'm still taking the supplements I mentioned there, seem to be working.

User Info Menu

My question was about how to sit to practice when leg should not be bent at a right angle for long periods.

User Info Menu

Maybe sit on a higher stool, with a guitar strap holding the guitar, rather than resting on the right thigh?

I tend to practice this way...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    My question was about how to sit to practice when leg should not be bent at a right angle for long periods.
    Well, I can't give advice about something I haven't done, but as Ukena mentioned, there are: alternatives to conventional guitar straps, foot stools (that classical guitarists use), etc.

I've found that taking periodic practice breaks to stretch and /or walk can make a big difference, the key is not to sit or stay in any position for too long.

User Info Menu

My right knee is suddenly giving me problems - wear and tear. No doubt the cartilage is shot at. Drove 5hrs down into Spain last week and now waiting for the X-ray. Mostly it amounts to a workaround at this stage, but have not yet worked out how to sit to practice and avoid having the leg bent at right angles/inactive for extended periods.

Thanks

David

I'm wondering whether they've given you / recommended a brace to keep the joint immobile. Maybe that's what you meant by 'workaround' . Then you experiment with finding a place to sit ( and play ) that allows the knee to be level, elevated or lowered. And then see which works best. Elevated is preferable, then level.
    Ice ( @ 30 minute intervals ) under the knee while seated is also helpful, although I'd confirm the time frame - 30 minutes may be too long ).....
    I like the taller chair suggestion, although when I could've used one, I didn't feel a lot like traipsing around a furniture store.(( I don't like shopping when I feel fine, much less when I don't. ))
    After some knee and ankle issues a while ago, I settled on the living room couch with my knee on an ottoman.

Lots of good luck, and don't stay away from playing too long. You want to avoid that rut.

Hope some part of this helps !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
    I'm wondering whether they've given you / recommended a brace to keep the joint immobile. Maybe that's what you meant by 'workaround' . Then you experiment with finding a place to sit ( and play ) that allows the knee to be level, elevated or lowered. And then see which works best. Elevated is preferable, then level.
    Ice ( @ 30 minute intervals ) under the knee while seated is also helpful, although I'd confirm the time frame - 30 minutes may be too long ).....
    I like the taller chair suggestion, although when I could've used one, I didn't feel a lot like traipsing around a furniture store.(( I don't like shopping when I feel fine, much less when I don't. ))
    After some knee and ankle issues a while ago, I settled on the living room couch with my knee on an ottoman.

Lots of good luck, and don't stay away from playing too long. You want to avoid that rut.

Hope some part of this helps !
    Thanks Dennis - really helpful. Seeing the doc next week and will ask for an
    x- ray. Currently using an elastic sleeve/brace which helps and handing long drives over to Mme Black at at least for the moment and until proper assessment. Will also move to breaking up practice into 20 minute sections which of itself should improve discipline and avoid drifting and spending too long on one thing.

Thanks again,

David

PS Did your knee recover over time?

User Info Menu

How about one of these:

Slinger Straps Full Line Of Guitar and Bass Straps

Would they help?

Doug

User Info Menu

Thanks Dennis - really helpful. Seeing the doc next week and will ask for an
    x- ray. Currently using an elastic sleeve/brace which helps and handing long drives over to Mme Black at at least for the moment and until proper assessment. Will also move to breaking up practice into 20 minute sections which of itself should improve discipline and avoid drifting and spending too long on one thing.

Thanks again,

David

PS Did your knee recover over time?
    You're welcome David.
    Oh - and watch the inflammation too. When you're seated and the knee is elevated try to make that bend / transition at your hip as gradual as you can. That way the blood flows better both directions. Otherwise, the blood only goes the one direction. And any foot movement while seated helps too - like tapping your foot, moving back and forth etc. The movement helps circulation, which helps to reduce swelling.
    The x-ray will obviously help. Good luck !
    My knee improved, thanks, and there are things there are things they can do to help you too !

Dennis

User Info Menu

Thanks

David
    Get a good strap and stand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pawlowski6132 View Post
    Get a good strap and stand.
    Got straps-just not my style!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
    The x-ray will obviously help.
    Only with the diagnosis of course and even then it'll depend on the kind of x-ray. Cartilage doesn't necessarily show up very well in a traditional one. In France it'd be better to ask for a "scan" but then again a good doctor will know what to prescribe.

Ask for a genouillère too (or whatever the spanish equivalent is called). You can just walk into most pharmacies to have one fitted but with a prescription you'll get a reimbursement. I have several versions of those things, ranging from simple elastic hoses to ones with flexible lateral reinforcements to one with an actual metal "exo skeleton". I got the latter from A'zon; its main interest is that it becomes impossible to dislocate the knee joint without having too much compression going on behind the knee. All of them are quite good as dissuading me from keeping the leg bent at too sharp an angle for too long.

For your playing: have you considered using classical position, preferably using a support under the guitar instead of a footstool? A priori it will allow you to keep the right leg stretched out to some extent.

FWIW, when using an "ottoman" or similar: put the support as close to your knee as possible, or add another support under your knee. The last thing you want is additional stress on that joint from gravity trying to overstretch your leg.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    Only with the diagnosis of course and even then it'll depend on the kind of x-ray. Cartilage doesn't necessarily show up very well in a traditional one. In France it'd be better to ask for a "scan" but then again a good doctor will know what to prescribe.

Ask for a genouillère too (or whatever the spanish equivalent is called). You can just walk into most pharmacies to have one fitted but with a prescription you'll get a reimbursement. I have several versions of those things, ranging from simple elastic hoses to ones with flexible lateral reinforcements to one with an actual metal "exo skeleton". I got the latter from A'zon; its main interest is that it becomes impossible to dislocate the knee joint without having too much compression going on behind the knee. All of them are quite good as dissuading me from keeping the leg bent at too sharp an angle for too long.

For your playing: have you considered using classical position, preferably using a support under the guitar instead of a footstool? A priori it will allow you to keep the right leg stretched out to some extent.

FWIW, when using an "ottoman" or similar: put the support as close to your knee as possible, or add another support under your knee. The last thing you want is additional stress on that joint from gravity trying to overstretch your leg.
    Really helpful and thank you. Return to France in the morning so will hit the pharmacie first thing. Will report back After rdv avec mon médecin. BTW where is Mons atheos?

Musicalement,

David

User Info Menu

BTW where is Mons atheos?
    Lol, a very local name of the "mountain" on top of which I live, located in a small village in the Valois region

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    Lol, a very local name of the "mountain" on top of which I live, located in a small village in the Valois region
    Sounds idyllic.

David