The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This was an interesting read. Perhaps others might find it so. How’s the big band scene in your locale?

Japan keeps old-school 'big band' sound alive -
    Nikkei Asia

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd View Post
    How’s the big band scene in your locale?
    We've got a few brass bands in the area (not really the same thing I suppose ), plus an actual big band in Reims.

User Info Menu

In my area, East Bay, near San Francisco, there are a surprising number of big bands which play regularly.

I regularly play in two and have subbed in four others, all nearby. I'm aware of several more.

Gigs happen, but are infrequent, given the economics. One band does regular open rehearsals.

It seems like every band has somebody who likes to do arrangements and brings them in. Several of the bands have what I think of as older style charts (think Sammy Nestico or Frank Mantooth), but also some more recent (e.g. Gordon Goodwin).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar View Post
    In my area, East Bay, near San Francisco, there are a surprising number of big bands which play regularly.

I regularly play in two and have subbed in four others, all nearby. I'm aware of several more.

Gigs happen, but are infrequent, given the economics. One band does regular open rehearsals.

It seems like every band has somebody who likes to do arrangements and brings them in. Several of the bands have what I think of as older style charts (think Sammy Nestico or Frank Mantooth), but also some more recent (e.g. Gordon Goodwin).
    I'm one of those people who likes to do arrangements (and compositions), and brings them in to two bands I play with. The lousier of the two bands I play in and write for, massacred an arr. I did last rehearsal, and I found out it was partly my fault, and partly theirs'.

Tonight, I had my revenge, and brought the chart they destroyed last rehearsal, back in, with D.S al Coda signs and other "jumps"circled. I also had to give them a speech beforehand about the parts they messed up last time, and even spoke to the obnoxious high note trumpet player who criticized my chart last rehearsal, individually, and told him how I changed it. and he was more agreeable, for a change, but the schmuck stole the lead part away from the guy I had wanted to play it (who had played in the Ray Baretto Band for 20 years!) , and played it himself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It went very well this time, and after it was done, I made a speech to them about how I had fought to regain my faith in both myself and them, in mock seriousness, and they seemed to get a kick out of that.

I look at the jazz big band as an orchestra- the saxes are like the violins, that you can give all the technical parts to; the trombones are like the cellos that you can give all the lyrical and noble parts to, and the trumpets are the kings of the orchestra that get all the powerful parts.. the drums accentuate the important statements, and God help you if you don't have a great drummer and lead trumpet player who can swing together in time.
    The Bass defines the harmony, and the guitar and piano are two additional colors that can add contrast to the horns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzPadd View Post
    How’s the big band scene in your locale?
    Around little old Portland, Maine we have a few:

Portland Jazz Orchestra (which I play bass in) has about four books, with everything from originals -- six people write for the band -- to the obligatory Kenton & Basie stuff.
    Fifty years in, old school big band is not what I long for -- those originals are. But it excites a bunch of them and I am glad to be along for the ride. And it's a concert every month in a hall. And Brad C, the drummer, is a joy to play with.
    Here's a recent rendition of Craig Skeffington's "It's A Waltz, Man." (ca. 1850 German DB -- 1980s Walter Woods MI-100 -- Euphonic Audio VL-110.)

The Fogcutters is a Rock & Pop big band originally started by people from the Rustic Overtones. They don't play all the time but all their shows are big productions.
    Chris Claxton runs OurBigBand
    Chris Humphrey, among other things an extremely talented vocalist, runs some park / xmas big band gigs.
    And of course there's a big band at the University.
    Last edited by Sam Sherry; 05-07-2024 at 06:21 PM.

User Info Menu

Great chart!

User Info Menu

Japan also has an active trad jazz scene. Some excellent New Orleans musicians are from Japan, and there are lots of YouTube videos of Japanese musicians, notably the New Orleans Jazz Hounds, who are not from NOLA but play that music, and do it well. For guitar content, Hirofumi Asaba is excellent, and there are many others. The user Kawa has the Good Sounds thread, which features many Japanese jazz guitarists. As for my area, I know of no big bands which still exist. There were once two, but AFAIK they have folded, or maybe just don't gig, I don't know. If you like middle-aged white man's blues, there is plenty of that.