The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 51

User Info Menu

Not about the generic ones. That's for the special respected professionals only.

But when you have to give the opinion to.. not maybe even a friend but someone who really tries.

Mine have changed over the years. When younger, I was pretty blunt. But that was awful because of the "taste" variable.
    Can't be blunt.. So, got to have rules. Have you made to yourself a few of those?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Not about the generic ones. That's for the special respected professionals only.

But when you have to give the opinion to.. not maybe even a friend but someone who really tries.

Mine have changed over the years. When younger, I was pretty blunt. But that was awful because of the "taste" variable.
    Can't be blunt.. So, got to have rules. Have you made to yourself a few of those?
    Only when I can point to something specific they're not doing well, and only if I could provide help when they follow up.

Though honestly, I only do even that if they ask.

User Info Menu

What is the situation in which I have to give a review?

What comes to mind is a joke I heard a comedian tell. "No matter how weird somebody is dressed, you know that, earlier that day, they were in front of a mirror going 'looks good to me' ".

People are generally trying their best. That's the parade you have an opportunity to rain on.

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    What is the situation in which I have to give a review?
    The situation is that when you are asked. By a friend or by someone who really tried (that could be yourself, you know).

User Info Menu

You have to learn how to disambiguate objective criteria and taste criteria.

It’s also about learning what is useful to say for the other person - what will help them improve and develop, which is not always a stark appraisal of their shortcomings or strengths.

It’s an art form. You have to practice and reflect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I know two pros who just say "can't play" about almost everyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    They sound like fun people who are cool and fun to be around and who like to have fun.

User Info Menu

If I didn't know the person, I'd keep negative thoughts to myself. I'd point to whatever I liked.

If it was a friend, and I thought I had something helpful to say that wouldn't damage the relationship, I'd first compliment everything worth complimenting and then say something like "if I was forced to tweak one thing, it might be ...".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    We all know some of them haha

Then to say “what terrible things do you say about me then?” And then they look very uncomfortable but get the point lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    They sound like fun people who are cool and fun to be around and who like to have fun.
    I wouldn't know they're both internet/phone friends. I met one of them twice about 20 or 30 years ago, but he doesn't remember me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    If I didn't know the person, I'd keep negative thoughts to myself. I'd point to whatever I liked.

If it was a friend, and I thought I had something helpful to say that wouldn't damage the relationship, I'd first compliment everything worth complimenting and then say something like "if I was forced to tweak one thing, it might be ...".
    What? WHAT??? WHATTT DO YOU MEAN ONE TINY THING???

User Info Menu

Although I think I should point out as a Brit I am really not averse to a bit of cathartic negativity.

User Info Menu

Only if asked, and then I try to complement the good and not mention the bad... the old "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" rule. If then pressed further, I would be truthful about their shortcomings, but phrasing in ways such as "well you could work on..." rather than "you really can't do x, and you need to" (as an example)

Id REALLY pressed, like if they asked a yes or no question, like "am I good enough to play in a band?", I would be brutally honest, but also preference it with THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION.

If this is a goods friend, all bets are off, I'm just dead honest, perhaps even a little ribbing... because good friends "get that" and it's not a problem. "Your scales are good, but your chords suck... almost as bad as your chili" LOL

User Info Menu

I do this for a living.

I tell them a positive up front and one at the end too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I do this for a living.

I tell them a positive up front and one at the end too.
    "You sure have a nice guitar.
    Too bad your playing sucks.
    But your Mom is smokin' hot!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by starjasmine
    "You sure have a nice guitar.
    Too bad your playing sucks.
    But your Mom is smokin' hot!"
    Lol, I think those are definitely words I typed here...

For the record, I never told a student their mom was hot. Even if they were.

User Info Menu

When I first came here about 17 years ago everything anybody posted was showered with likes and everybody told each other how wonderful they were. Like a self-satisfied mutual appreciation society. It was fairly disgusting. No genuine appreciation, no discernment, nothing. Just a lot of false back-patting even when the stuff they were praising was obviously awful.

So I began to put critiques in. Good stuff got told it was good but the rest got suggestions about what might lift their performance a bit. Soon the hordes rounded on me and the threats and insults started. I know they were all sending each other nasty little private messages because I could feel it, like a bunch of old women. One person said he was leaving the forum because I'd completely ruined his enjoyment of it, all by myself presumably. Funny thing was he was a very good player and I'd told him so. Figure that one out. Incidentally, he apologised later.

So I stayed and it slowly got better because younger players were coming in and the more stuffy traditional people were dropping out. Friendly critiques became more commonplace, the atmosphere became more open and less fear-based like before, and we are where we are now. Which is very nearly tolerable... just :-)

Anyway, re. the OP's post, I have no rules. Why would I need rules? I wouldn't criticise beginners who are trying their best. If I genuinely like something I say so and I don't mind a bit if I'm criticised myself. Good lord, they might be right, and quite often are.

Personally, I don't see how we can learn anything if we're always being told we're wonderful. Only idiots would welcome that. It's that simple, basically.

User Info Menu

The other thing is, I avoid criticizing anything unless my own performance in that medium reflects that my criticism is coming from a place of knowledge/experience.

User Info Menu

Which, in your case, it does. Actually, if I have any criticism of you (which I don't really) it's that you're not forthcoming enough. So there

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Which, in your case, it does. Actually, if I have any criticism of you (which I don't really) it's that you're not forthcoming enough. So there
    Nah, when I say I don't know about stuff, I really don't. What I don't know could fill a book.

User Info Menu

Crusaders for truth!

For what it’s worth, my memory of ancient JGO was that it was quite a bit more of a cage match than it is now.

User Info Menu

The use of criticizing someone's playing, for me, is only to help make it better. So taking under consideration how the person plays, what they can do, how they would receive the critic, what our relationship is, if it's a friend or a student etc, if I can think of something that would practically help, I say it. That could be mentioning the strong points as well, not only the weaknesses.

User Info Menu

I haven't read any of the replies yet but my first reaction would be that "having to" does not occur, unless your a professional writer, a music critique, I guess. That said, of course you may criticise, you don't "have to".

User Info Menu

Ok, I've just read post #1.
    If someone asks for an opinion about their playing I give them my point of view, assuming that they've asked for it because they want to improve but keeping in mind that they also want to be encouraged...

Years ago I ruined the morale of some dude by giving the opinion about an aspect of his project.
    He attempted several times to improve, last one was almost there. That's what I told him, "almost there"...
    He said "ok, that's the best I could do, gonna give up!". The project was very cool, that's why I tried to help, but made him miserable instead.

I think best behavior would be to just list the things that could help to improve and shut up with the opinions early.