The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 51

User Info Menu

"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams, The Salmon of Doubt.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Nah, when I say I don't know about stuff, I really don't. What I don't know could fill a book.
    That's actually profound. If everyone admitted this, the world (especially the internet!) would be a much better place. Nothing wrong with not knowing, IDK why it bothers people so much. To the point that they will think they DO know everything about an issue, when they've barely scratched the surface. It's like HAVING an opinion is far more important than having a LEARNED one. Sad state of affairs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Years ago I ruined the morale of some dude by giving the opinion about an aspect of his project.
    He attempted several times to improve, last one was almost there. That's what I told him, "almost there"...
    He said "ok, that's the best I could do, gonna give up!". The project was very cool, that's why I tried to help, but made him miserable instead.

I think best behavior would be to just list the things that could help to improve and shut up with the opinions early.
    That's a good point. After all, music is art. Imagine of someone told Steve Vai or Julian Lage or BB King that they were "doing it wrong".

What are your rules when having to criticise?-cannot-done-jpg

User Info Menu

If I ever get to the point where I think I'm qualified to criticize, then perhaps I might consider it. I'm not there yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    If I ever get to the point where I think I'm qualified to criticize, then perhaps I might consider it. I'm not there yet.
    Well, maybe criticize isn't the right word, the way it is perceived? Maybe critique would be better. But they are the same thing I think? Criticize definitely carries a negative connotation where critique does not.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Well, maybe criticize isn't the right word, the way it is perceived? Maybe critique would be better. But they are the same thing I think? Criticize definitely carries a negative connotation where critique does not.
    I think that's a very important distinction.

User Info Menu

If advice or criticism isn't asked for, I try to avoid it as much as possible because it hurts people's feelings and they'll disregard it anyway 9 times out of 10. If advice is asked for I'll give it to em no problem even though they'll disregard it (see the i'll remember april thread). If criticism is asked, I'll try to just keep it specifics and content related and try to keep it nice.

User Info Menu

I do occasional peer review for academic journals, and always start with something positive.

User Info Menu

I had a painting instructor who offered this framework for giving a critique, in the form of three questions to address whenever you’re looking at an artwork:

1. What do you see? Line, shape, space, etc

2. What consistencies (rhythms) do you see, and what contrasts?

3. What do you think is the artist’s intent?

So, it seems useful to start with a descriptive overview, before suggesting anything more prescriptive or “critical.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    If advice or criticism isn't asked for, I try to avoid it as much as possible because it hurts people's feelings and they'll disregard it anyway 9 times out of 10. If advice is asked for I'll give it to em no problem even though they'll disregard it (see the i'll remember april thread). If criticism is asked, I'll try to just keep it specifics and content related and try to keep it nice.
    If you give good advice and someone takes it the next thing you know they might take your gig too, so it's dangerous in that regard if we are talking about from a business perspective haha.

On the flip side, if someone gives you advice it is wise to weigh it fairly against all you have gathered and not knock it down immediately but rather grasp where it may stem from. I received some good advice decades ago that I foolishly ignored for way too long and it was sage advice from a soundman working a show I played. Took my dumbass 20 years to figure out the guy had me figured out better than I had myself. Nothing ugly or anything was said, it was just an very wise insight from someone who gave a shit. So these days I always take my time when I get a free pointer. Someone took the time to say it and put themselves out there for your potential benefit, so they might have something good that I should know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    I had a painting instructor who offered this framework for giving a critique, in the form of three questions to address whenever you’re looking at an artwork:

1. What do you see? Line, shape, space, etc

2. What consistencies (rhythms) do you see, and what contrasts?

3. What do you think is the artist’s intent?

So, it seems useful to start with a descriptive overview, before suggesting anything more prescriptive or “critical.”

LOL that sounds like classic psychotherapy: "And what did YOU think about that?" "Tell me how YOU feel about it." Hey doc, no offense, but it seems like I'm psychoanalyzing myself here....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    If someone gives you advice it is wise to weigh it fairly against all you have gathered and not knock it down immediately but rather grasp where it may stem from. I received some good advice decades ago that I foolishly ignored for way too long and it was sage advice from a soundman working a show I played. Took my dumbass 20 years to figure out the guy had me figured out better than I had myself. Nothing ugly or anything was said, it was just an very wise insight from someone who gave a shit. So these days I always take my time when I get a free pointer. Someone took the time to say it and put themselves out there for your potential benefit, so they might have something good that I should know.
    Yes, I agree. The most intensive appraisal of my music is done by me. So when people give me criticism I always understand it as relevant and it doesn't hurt my feelings.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 04-07-2024 at 01:28 PM.

User Info Menu

LOL that sounds like classic psychotherapy: "And what did YOU think about that?" "Tell me how YOU feel about it." Hey doc, no offense, but it seems like I'm psychoanalyzing myself here....
    Yeah, I probably should’ve changed the pronouns. These are questions that one asks oneself.

When speaking to someone else, I wouldn’t do it in the form of a Q&A. But I might approach the topic descriptively in this way before talking about what’s successful or less successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    I I received some good advice decades ago that I foolishly ignored for way too long and it was sage advice from a soundman working a show I played. Took my dumbass 20 years to figure out the guy had me figured out better than I had myself.
    What was it?

User Info Menu

The question posed by the thread is completely flawed, "What are the rules when having to criticize?"

(1) You never have to criticize, and (2) Only those who don't know what good (considerate) behaviour is need rules about it.

User Info Menu

I try to remember, when I'm criticized, that accurate negative feedback is a gift. Most people won't give it out of fear of hurting feelings and damaging the relationship. So it's a gift.

Of course, as a gift, it may be the equivalent of getting a diet book for Christmas. And when I say "try to remember", I don't always succeed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    Only those who don't know what good (considerate) behaviour is need rules about it.
    Yes, exactly.

User Info Menu

That's actually profound. If everyone admitted this, the world (especially the internet!) would be a much better place. Nothing wrong with not knowing, IDK why it bothers people so much. To the point that they will think they DO know everything about an issue, when they've barely scratched the surface. It's like HAVING an opinion is far more important than having a LEARNED one. Sad state of affairs.
    My anthropology advisor told us: the hardest thing for mankind is to not know.

Which is to say, most of us will make stuff up rather than admit to not knowing. Think about all the reasons people gave throughout history for total eclipses of the sun... oh, right: some people are still giving some of those same millennia-old reasons...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ukena
    My anthropology advisor told us: the hardest thing for mankind is to not know.
    And there are the known unknowns and the unknown unknowns...

User Info Menu

I sometimes find myself in a situation where I need to give some less experienced players advice in order to make the group sound better.
    Knowing how sensitive people can be, I try not to make it sound like personal criticism.
    Example: “let’s all lay back a little in this part and let the soloist have some more space”.
    This well-meaning advice is ignored 100% of the time.
    I’ve given up.
    The musicians I want to play with already know what to do.

User Info Menu

Criticize, critique, either way the same applies for me. I'm still not qualified.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    What was it?
    Something along the lines of "working that slowhand". IOW lay back on it some instead of just playing guitar olympics. I look back and realize he had made a deep observation that I should've more readily integrated. I was just getting started though, and had my own ideas. I probably could've made a five or ten year leap if I had just taken it to heart. I always learn the hard way I guess.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ragman1
    Or if what they're doing is just meaningless nonsense. You know if you like it or not.
    Yes but these are the sort of subjective value judgments that most people here are saying they try to avoid.

And it doubles as the least useful form of critique.

User Info Menu

I guess to frame this more positively, a negative critique just isn’t very useful either.

I think this is because most of what we do is simpler than beginners tend to imagine. I don’t mean easier, mind you; I mean simpler.

My very first jazz guitar lesson was about fifteen years ago and the dude was like “I think if I were to ask you, you’d probably tell me you’d like to make the changes better.” And I was like … yes.

Fifteen years later, I’d like to make the changes better.

So the things there are to master are not that many, you just refine your sense of what mastery looks like such that you never quite get there.

ANYWAY … this is all to say that if I were a jerk, I could say, “you’re not making the changes compelling,” or “the time feel just isn’t working,” to literally any player in the world and they’d probably already know that about themselves. That’s because that’s like ………… ninety percent of what there is to work on.

The thing that separates poor teachers (that first jazz guitar lesson) from really good ones (subsequent lessons later, of which Vic Juris and Brad Shepik come to mind) is that the good teachers can pinpoint real concrete means by which you can improve on the deficiency they identify. And in a way that you improve meaningfully by your own metric.

So yeah … if I don’t have anything constructive to say, I’m probably not going to chime in. And that’s partly because I don’t want to be a jerk, but it’s also because it’s just not helpful

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mick-7
    The question posed by the thread is completely flawed, "What are the rules when having to criticize?"

(1) You never have to criticize, and (2) Only those who don't know what good (considerate) behaviour is need rules about it.
    It is perhaps more useful to think of them as tools than rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk