The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 24 of 24

User Info Menu

Already have my tickets - this will be a blast!

Beat Tour

Fun interview with Rick:

Saw 80's Crimson in LA when I was a kid; minds were blown, and we had to see them a couple days later in Orange County; the rest of our minds were blown, hence my current mindlessness.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was never a fan, but it's an all-star line-up!

Being a Vai fan, I feel like it's an odd choice for him, but... he's big on "challenges"!

User Info Menu

Robert Fripp must be too busy touring with his wife, Toyah.

User Info Menu

Listening to Remain in Light the other day (birthday present) and reminded by how much I love Belew’s playing. His playing on the Great Curve is nothing short of apocalyptic. Then I went and listened to Discipline again. Great stuff. Forgot what an influence on me that music is.

(Also I was today years old when I found out that the guitar on this banger was Robert)

So I actually think Vai is an inspired choice. I do wonder if his style may be a little similar to Belew’s in fact. But I’m eager to see what he can do in the band. I think he’s been a little typecast as the monster metal player where he’s always had wide tastes (it is funny that the first thing he talked about is the technical aspect though haha, but there’s a lot more to him as a musician.) Vai the art rocker is something I always like to hear, ever since his outing with the Bill Laswell incarnation of PiL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Vai is an "art" guy, no doubt. I don't think of him as metal at all. Even in DLR and Whitesnake, he was more flashy rock (ala EVH) than metal. But he's written symphonies, the guy is a musical monster. He doesn't need the money, so as I said, he's doing it for the new challenge I'll bet... it'll be a bit like his days with Zappa...

User Info Menu

Yeah fair enough, metal is the wrong word. Hair metal maybe but not what metal means today. His own music is very much rock with an eclectic edge. I’ve always enjoyed him most as a sideman, so this should be good fun.

User Info Menu

By the way regarding Remain in Light, Byrne mentions the influence of mid 70s Miles, (which vibed with a lot of the New Wave musicians as it turns out, interestingly.)There’s something of that music in the album (although the influence of Fela Kuti is really strongest) but I feel Belew’s playing in general and especially on that record owes something to Pete Cosey in that band - underrated but influential imo.

Going back to Crimson - you can really see how Byrne’s neurospicy stream of consciousness influenced the lyrics on Discipline… Belew vocally sounds a bit like Byrne too.

User Info Menu

Another cool choice for Fripp sub that occurred to me would have been Ben Monder.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    Another cool choice for Fripp sub that occurred to me would have been Ben Monder.

My thought exactly.

But Fripp did shows with Satriani and Vai about 20 years ago, so I guess Vai knows what he’s getting into.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    My thought exactly.

But Fripp did shows with Satriani and Vai about 20 years ago, so I guess Vai knows what he’s getting into.
    Vai’s also a bit of a draw for ticket sales no doubt

User Info Menu

Is Vai going to sit on a stool for a more authentic presentation?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FwLineberry View Post
    Is Vai going to sit on a stool for a more authentic presentation?

That's why they should have hired Monder..,

User Info Menu

I follow Fripp and Belew on Facebook. Belew in particular is very open and interactive—often responds to individual posts.

There has been so much made of the “fight” between Belew and Zappa and Belew and Fripp. Most of it has been overhyped. Of course there was the usual band tension, especially when Belew left Zappa and Fripp declined to ask Belew back when he reformed Crimson for touring in the 90’s (IIRC).

But, of course, like adults, they moved on, and in Belew and Fripp’s case patched things up. I wish they had recorded again, maybe as a duo ala Fripp and Andy Summers, but it is what it is.

Belew has been keeping the music of Bowie and Talking Heads alive since Bowie isn’t around and Byrne doesn’t want to do TH again as a touring band. And now Crimson. I will definitely see Beat if they play around me.

BTW I saw Crimson for the first and only time in November 1981. A life-changing experience, as it was a first date with Cathy, the love of my life in college. A girl who likes Crimson is definitely a keeper, right? (If she likes Miles and McLaughlin too—a bonus.) Too bad I couldn’t keep her. Long story…another time…

I have seen Belew 3 times with 3 different bands—Zappa, Talking Heads, and King Crimson. Looking forward to seeing him again.

User Info Menu

It probably doesn't get publicised in the USA, but, as I stated in an earlier post, Robert Fripp is busy having too much fun touring in 2024 with his wife Toyah.

User Info Menu

That's a powerful shirt, Robert

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller View Post
    That's a powerful shirt, Robert
    They've tamed their look down a bit, since the Sunday Lunch videos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GuyBoden
    It probably doesn't get publicised in the USA, but, as I stated in an earlier post, Robert Fripp is busy having too much fun touring in 2024 with his wife Toyah.

Happy wife = happy life.

I really dig the three albums that they will be playing music from- in fact, those are the only KC albums that I own.

I'm sure Vai will work hard at playing Robert's parts correctly.

User Info Menu

Adrian Belew is my favourite non Jazz guitarist. Like, by far...

User Info Menu

More info

User Info Menu

“I’m having three guitars built for this tour…” haha

User Info Menu

He confirms that he will not be using a stool.

User Info Menu

Vai has history with stools

User Info Menu

Seeing them October 9th, can't wait!