The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 23 of 23

User Info Menu

Hello,

This is really how I make music. Through painting.
    My latest work (still have a few details to work out).

I try to play music, but I am a painter at heart!-confusing-forest-background-painting-stage-iii-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Love it.

User Info Menu

Soon we all need a video-proof that it was legit man-made art. And that proof itself would not be a proof
    Let's enjoy these last days of man-made art...

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    Soon we all need a video-proof that it was legit man-made art. And that proof itself would not be a proof
    Let's enjoy these last days of man-made art...
    But man-made art will always exist. People have to create. It will never end.

User Info Menu

You can't go wrong if you do what you enjoy the most (generally speaking, unless it's something that harms people)!

Here it is in Black and White. I did some finishing details this morning.
    I try to play music, but I am a painter at heart!-confusing-forest-background-painting-stage-iv-bw-jpg

User Info Menu

Making music is painting with sounds and harmonies, no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    Making music is painting with sounds and harmonies, no?
    Yes, in an analogous way, but also with the element of time.

User Info Menu

I was talking specifically about the act of painting, which evidently has a time element in it. But even observing a painting is a temporal process if you really want to take it in. And even if I walk through a museum giving only a cursory glance to most paintings until I reach one that captivates me, there is a temporal aspect to that.

---
    One of my favourite references to painting that I am mindful of to this day was about the importance of articulation (aka the attack). I was taking a summer master class with a master of the Venetian violin school, and he evoked how the fresco masters of old achieved sharp separation between two regions of different colours by painting a black hairline between them that the (average) human eye cannot resolve at the intended observation distance. So yes, in this case a spatial principle serves as a metaphore for a temporal one.

User Info Menu

A while ago, I used slide-shows of paintings to give something... "more cultural" to do for the eyes while practising impro.
    It was fun.
    But seriously, the coolest thing that happens when watching a painting is when it becomes "real" in the mind.
    Something totally not realistic, but then "click", and the brain looks it as it was a real new world.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    I was talking specifically about the act of painting, which evidently has a time element in it. But even observing a painting is a temporal process if you really want to take it in. And even if I walk through a museum giving only a cursory glance to most paintings until I reach one that captivates me, there is a temporal aspect to that.

Yes, but in consuming a painting the time is not fixed, it’s not a part of the composition. It’s up to the viewer to choose his time looking or not. Whereas with music, the time is set by the composer and performer as an element. It’s essential.

I love the stillness I often feel when looking at a painting in a gallery. It seems to freeze time, or even to exist beyond it.

User Info Menu

nice pic...reminds me of Graham Sutherland the English painter...

User Info Menu

This guy was a sign painter but he did OK on guitar:

Quote Originally Posted by voxo View Post
    nice pic...reminds me of Graham Sutherland the English painter...
    Wow, this guy's work is stellar! Never knew of him before now.

Here is a still from this same scene. Converted to B&W because I like to study my work that way. It is interesting.
    I try to play music, but I am a painter at heart!-tweezer-tree-background-copy-jpg

One more you all
    I try to play music, but I am a painter at heart!-city-painting-title-stage-5-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images I try to play music, but I am a painter at heart!-falling-onto-city-stage-vi-jpg 

User Info Menu

post some more

Reworking this background. I want a dramatic, night view. It is somethingg I cannot describe, but know it if I see it,and I think this works well. Tomorrow might change my mind....hope not though. Will put my character in place to see how everything is functioning.
    I try to play music, but I am a painter at heart!-tweezer-tree-png

User Info Menu

I love your paintings. I wish i would have at least a little talent and could create something beautiful. Instead i am only good with numbers and even hen it comes to writing something i need to get help from these guys academized.com . Creating something is definitely not my thing and i guess i just need to live with that. Anyway, i truly admire artists and other people who can create something nice.
    Last edited by benhatchins; 04-22-2024 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by benhatchins View Post
    I love your paintings
    Thank you. I was kind of stoned working on these, especially this last one I posted. A little weed, just a little, and it kind of opens me up for this stuff.

It makes things that normally would not be accessible, very accessible.

User Info Menu

In that case, maybe try some LSD and see the results of your playing?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    Morning Glory seeds are a much better natural alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
    It's been 29 years. Can never do that again. Thanks, but no thanks.