The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 96

User Info Menu

I'm sorry. This wasn't it. If you want to educate me, I am open to it. But we are not even speaking about the same thing at this point.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

All lies, blues == John Mayer

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    I'm sorry. This wasn't it. If you want to educate me, I am open to it. But we are not even speaking about the same thing at this point.
    Well …. This is what people are talking about when they talk about “blues” being an important part of jazz.

Do you not understand what I mean, or do you understand and disagree that those things are in jazz?

In the event that you’re just talking about something totally different, maybe you should explain what you’re talking about, because you’re talking about something different than others in the conversation.

User Info Menu

I take my leave. Carry on.

User Info Menu

Jazz is when upper extensions and metronome

User Info Menu

I take my leave. Carry on.
    I mean ………….. okay?

I didn’t mean that in a condescending way. You’re just working off a different definition, it sounds like.

User Info Menu

"Jazz" isn't a single entity with sharply defined edges, and probably the least troublesome starting point would be to establish the set of entities (performances, compostitions, musical practices, etc.) that the users of the term point to when asked to identify it. And since the term is old and some of the items and elements identified with it are even older, any attempt to define is necessarily tied to the longitudinal/historical senses. This is a version of lexicography 101, though the result of the process would not fit into a dictionary entry very comfortably. Maybe a fat scholarly book or a multipart TV documentary. . . .

Meanwhile, this keeps floating up into the Magic 8-Ball window of my mind:

Law, says the judge as he looks down his nose,
    Speaking clearly and most severely,
    Law is as I've told you before,
    Law is as you know I suppose,
    Law is but let me explain it once more,
    Law is The Law.

--W. H. Auden, "Law, Like Love"

(I commend the entire poem to everyone, even though it's not about jazz, or even music.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RLetson
    "Jazz" isn't a single entity with sharply defined edges, and probably the least troublesome starting point would be to establish the set of entities (performances, compostitions, musical practices, etc.) that the users of the term point to when asked to identify it.
    So this is part of the problem. I guess you’d start with those things which are indisputably jazz … which are surprisingly few. King Oliver up to maybe Kind of Blue. Beyond that, you start running into people who we call jazz but who often rejected (or were at least ambivalent toward) the label on their own terms.

And frankly … swing, blues, and improvisation is a pretty darned good summary of what those musics have in common.

User Info Menu

As an aside, I was never much for Auden’s poetry but the Shakespeare lectures are a favorite.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    As an aside, I was never much for Auden’s poetry but the Shakespeare lectures are a favorite.
    Have you reread “Fleet Visit” lately, or “Fall of Rome?” I think his best poems are the tops. On the other hand, the cheesy ones are better known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Bluegrass may swing, but does it groove?

User Info Menu

Most of jazz has nothing to do with blues except the feel for the rhythm.
    Every day we stray further from god.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    Have you reread “Fleet Visit” lately, or “Fall of Rome?” I think his best poems are the tops. On the other hand, the cheesy ones are better known.

Ah, lately, no. Nothing against them, anyway. Just didn’t really hit me when I read him. Then again poetry needs a few reads and I probably haven’t given him that, for the most part.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    His definition excludes almost everybody who does not wear a suit on stage
    Yeah, I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    and many who do.
    Oh...

User Info Menu

So, looking at my calendar with the "2024" date I realise that I have been doing this stuff for over sixty years.

In that time I have played traditional "British Folk Music", blues, bluegrass, rock, "jazz [in its many incarnations]", classical, neo-classical, experimental, free-form, atonal, "anything but pop" music.

In that time I have had many complaints: but never heard "that is not jazz" - more often it would be "I came to hear xyzz=style, why are you playing jazz?"

This leads me to conclude that "JAZZ" is an all encompassing form of music that can shelter anyone under its broad tent.

In other words it is a state of mind rather than a defined structure.

User Info Menu

There’s lots of things in the world will a well defined core and no real edge.

There’s also a human need to draw a line somewhere for various reasons. The fact that people will argue can engage in endless debates about where this line should be drawn should not be mistaken for telling us anything to do with the thing itself. Instead, it’s a good way to learn about the people drawing the lines.

User Info Menu

Thinking more deeply about what I wrote above I would have to say that many of the musicians I have played with over the the years, while being close to masters in their commercial genres, would have times where they played not by ear or written score but from the senses. They would play what was in their mind/body/emotion at the given time. If they happened to be in a situation where there were other people to accompany them and it worked then they would have called that "Jazz".

So maybe "jazz" is the inherent ability to empathise with and follow another musician's intent and mental suggestion - I know that the last is incomplete; but how many times while free soloing with another have you "known" where they would move next.? Even if you work on formulas of melodic and harmonic development just how many times have you and a musical partner arrived at the same, slightly unexpected, destination? That is JAZZ!

User Info Menu

Hmmm. If Manouche swing is jazz, why not bluegrass? It’s not far away. String bands were common in jazz in the prewar era.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    There’s lots of things in the world will a well defined core and no real edge.
    Thats a nice turn of phrase

User Info Menu

I’ve come to thinking of jazz as a particular social way of making music (“social music” being Miles’s coinage) - I actually think many of things we think of as being stylistically characteristic of jazz - extended harmony, poly meter and blue notes - emerge naturally from the way in which the music is made. (Interestingly theory doesn’t often seem to acknowledge the reality of the bandstand.)

User Info Menu

If jazz had a well-defined core, we would not argue about Marsalis. We would agree that his three conditions are right, or wrong. We would know whether or not they describe the core. Alternative explanations, such as the conditions being historically important for Jazz but no longer necessary, would not arise.

User Info Menu

Old lady: "Oh, please Mr. Waller, you must be able to tell me what jazz is?"

Fats Waller: "Mam, if you haven't found out by now, you never will."

User Info Menu

In some ways it seems like we have two opposites to a spectrum …

… some people who use a restrictive definition of jazz.

… some people who insist on calling any non-classical music produced by people with music degrees jazz.

But while those seem like opposing perspectives it occurs to me that both come from maybe an excessive attachment to “jazz” as a label.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    But while those seem like opposing perspectives it occurs to me that both come from maybe an excessive attachment to “jazz” as a label.
    This is the root of it all imo. Jazz is sophisticated music, so everyone wants to be jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BreckerFan
    This is the root of it all imo. Jazz is sophisticated music, so everyone wants to be jazz.
    Yeah and worth mentioning that almost from the outset the musicians themselves resisted being classified alongside the thing that came before (the bebop “NO DANCING” signs for example).

And starting in the 60s a pretty broad movement to explicitly ditch the word jazz in favor of a more representative tradition (straight line from “The New Thing” to “Black American Music.”)