The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Maybe just need to vent, so here goes......

Been gigging steady since 1970 - bands (mostly country and classic rock - no jazz around here), oldies duo with tracks, and theater productions every few years when they have need for pedal steel or lead guitar (I've done Evita, Jesus Christ Superstar, Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (several times), Little Shop of Horrors, and Always....Patsy Cline (pedal steel/lead) (over 300 performances or thereabouts); been a few local community theater but mostly Equity professional theater where I've enjoyed working with some great players over the years. My duo partner retired after Covid due to health problems and I don't sing, so here I sit. Nobody around here to play with so thought I'd work up some some solo standards and pop things - some chord melody and some with light backing tracks - maybe just the head and maybe a couple choruses of improv (which is about all I can pull off) and try for the assisted living venues and maybe some restaurant 'behind the ferns' gigs. But the more I think about it, the more I've convinced myself that nobody wants to hear what I want to play (solo guitarist). I live in a tourist/beach area and most of those restaurants with music have acoustic singles using tracks and doing tiki bar and Jimmy Buffet tunes - nobody wants to hear Misty or Moonlight In Vermont or A Nightingale Sang......etc. Most of the nicer restaurants are chains and way too noisy - maybe some yacht clubs, I dunno. I just bought a wonderful Ibanez Gb10 and was really looking forward to putting this plan into action but after hooking up everything and running through a bunch of tunes, I'm just not sure it's gonna work. I have a problem with playing for myself and find it hard to get up any incentive to play unless I'm getting ready for a gig. I'm open for suggestions - I'll be 79 in a couple months but my urge to play is still there and I'm not ready to give up.
    End of vent...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well don't worry about the venue not being perfectly tuned to jazz. As long as it's kind of the right atmosphere and you play well, it'll be fine. Laypeople instinctively like good jazz even if they never put it on themselves. So that just leaves working up the material to a level you're happy with. I played with my jazz combo at a douche bag atmosphere bar and we just let loose the jazz on them, we didn't care. As long as the atmosphere is kind of laid back or upscale it will be fine.

User Info Menu

I agree with Jimmy: go for it. It can't hurt to throw in a few tunes the crowd will recognize; consider that many of what are now jazz standards first hit the charts as the pop tunes of their day.

Not really jazz, but jazzy... a cool example of taking a tune and putting a whole new spin on it - I bet you could even play this at a fern bar ;-) This popped up in YT suggestions last week and I was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by starjasmine; 03-25-2024 at 12:06 AM.

User Info Menu

I've been 79 for a couple months now, and without a regular gigging partner since before Covid (mortality and disability caught up with my playing partners), so I feel your pain. I've been feeding my own urge to play out with regular informal opportunities--the country-folky jam session at a local brewery, the jazz group that hasn't yet told me to bugger off, and (the oddest and maybe most traditionally bohemian) sitting in with a Benedictine monk who plays and sings Thursday afternoons at the deli where my partners and I played weekly for 20 years. (He also plays classical and fell in love with my nice old Marin Montero. He celebrated Bach's birthday last week with some transcriptions of the cello suites.)

Still, it would be nice to get up on a stage again as part of a duo or trio and play and sing actual arrangements, for an audience that was sitting down and kinda listening rather than just popping in for their take-out sandwiches. I keep hoping that the one of my still-gigging acquaintances will notice that I'm not dead yet and maybe need a backing fingerpicker to fill in. And maybe Brother John is only half joking when he says we should do something more than just hang out at the deli. . . .

The irony is that despite aging fingers, my musicianship is probably as good as it has ever been, and my singing is better.

User Info Menu

I highly recommend the retirement community circuit (independent living, assisted living, memory care) where age is an advantage rather than a liability.

While singers are favored, there are plenty of instrumentalists working as well. And many venues prefer entertainers who use tracks because it provides rhythmic pulse that encourages movement among listeners.

You have to connect with the audience, though, acknowledging and talking with them rather than just playing the tunes. My experience is that personality is half the package, musical skill the other half.

User Info Menu

Some good suggestions, make sure to play a good amount of tunes the average person knows and engage the audience.
    Too many people get caught up in trying to pick "hip" tunes they like that go over most people's heads.
    You're not playing for a hardcore jazz crowd at the Blue Note in NY, make things accessible and you'll likely be invited back, good luck....

User Info Menu

I play solo guitar and love it. I don't have to deal with people that cancel rehearsals etc. Plus I can play what I want when I want.

Importantly, my repertoire includes light jazz, classical, Irish, folk, pop and even the first part of Midnight by Joe Satriani as a prelude to a longer number.

I have arrangements but improv a bit as well. Intros and middle sections.

To get gigs you really have to ask everywhere even if you think that they won't take you. Sometimes you'll be surprised.

The hardest thing is to get paid at the rate that you want. A 3 hour solo gig (solo fingerstyle guitar) is hard. 2 hours is ok. To get offered €50 for a 3 hour gig is taking the proverbial.

Know your worth and stick to it. One gig will be become 2 which will become 3. Within a year you'll have your favourites and it'll be smooth sailing from them on.

Try farmer markets too. One market offered me the €50 for three hours while another, now one of my favourites, paid me just short of my rate but I can busk too.

You can do it!!

Edit: It's just me, the guitar and amp. No backing tracks or loopers.

User Info Menu

Maybe work up a jazz version of Margaritaville?

Pat Methany has done "jazz guitar" versions of pop songs...

I guess the alternative would be to work up a Buffett-ized version of "Nightingale Sang" LOL

User Info Menu

Just email places. Say you do solo jazz guitar and ask if they think it’ll work. Don’t deny yourself the chance. Take the chance.

I’ve had places tell me “we get a rock crowd” I thank them and say it won’t be a good fit and move on. The venue should know their clientele. For what it’s worth “rock crowd” usually means I’m talking to a biker bar.

User Info Menu

Skip, I know your location and am watching you....ok just kidding about that but I do understand the dynamics of gigging that area of Florida having lived in St. Pete/St. Pete Beach and gigged there and the surrounding area for about a dozen years before I bailed out to Texas.

You're getting waaaaay to down about this my man. You need to make up a facebook and craigslist ad looking for a singer. Be forthcoming about what you are looking for and about your past credentials with links to some of your work, because they speak well of what you can do. "I like to do jazz standards AND" etc. You are in one of the most populated states, there are scads or real and aspiring singers out there who will jump at the chance to have someone back them. You will probably have a few names to choose from if you create some listings and do the follow up.

Not sure how far you want to travel. Getting up to St. Pete from Sarasota really isn't that bad if you need to branch out. Yacht clubs, beach bars, small cafes, beer gardens, etc. The solo/duo people get the most work IME because they are the most financially affordable for clubs and more volume flexible. Yeah background noise sometimes but that gets you a paid rehearsal even if no one listens. Yes people want Jimmy Buffet, but there are already people filling that role so that makes you unique and the standards you mentioned are stuff people will still want to hear if you do them well. Good music done right sells, period.

I'd def be trying to hit some of the beachfront motels and bars, especially Tradewinds/Sirata. I know the old Holiday Inn on St. Pete Beach has a rotating restaurant that would have a piano guy in there pretty often. Ruby's cigar bar or Mandarin Hide downtown might book afternoon solo/duo acts if you offer it. I don't know your travel range though. If you could give me that I might be able to drum up some club, restaurant and bar names for you as i know that area well.

I 'd just find stuff like that and start emailing a pre-fabbed message with video links of you through email and facebook. You should be able to hustle up a bunch of stuff if you get on the ball and right now you are already behind the curve because it's almost April. Get your ass in gear and put some play wear on that Benson! If I was there I would be able to help you out more, maybe in exchange for some pedal steel lessons heh heh, but I been 8 years gone to Texas. Been a long time since I even seen my sister, parents, best friend. Makes me wanna pack my bags just thinking about it. Good luck brother. Anything else I can do, shoot me a PM or just reply. Let me know your max travel distance and I'll try and brainstorm a few more places if you want.

User Info Menu

DawgBone - thanks for the encouraging words! I'll probably try to stay local south of the big bridge. I may have an 'in' at a local assisted living chain where my MIL lived before she passed - they would want 30 minutes for the regular assisted living folks and 30 minutes for the 'memory care' . I'm thinking maybe going in and doing it in the dining room when they're eating and do it as dinner music instead of a 'concert' situation. I'm really in favor of giving up the tracks and just improving my straight solo chord melody ballad book - it'll take some woodshedding but I could stand that anyway. I love playing ballads and 'saloon' songs - my favorite thing. This chain has several venues and is a definite class outfit. Tnx again!!