The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 80

User Info Menu

What do you guys think about this? Peter Farrell attacks Chase Maddox for being wrong about the «secret of the 2-chords»:

Peter Farrell's Disgusting Remarks.docx - Google Docs

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Classy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I don't want to spend too much time on Youtube.
    What is the "secret" of the 2-chords, in a nut shell?

User Info Menu

P.S. Using Amin7 or Emin7 as a sub for Cmaj7 is no secret (or is it?)

User Info Menu

Are to sure it was him and not his admin? ;-)

User Info Menu

I've watched Peter Farrell's videos off and on for years. It always feels like there's some interesting information there, but he never really explains anything clearly. I'm not sure if he's a bad teacher, or if the videos are acting merely as adverts for his paid stuff. (That seems to be true of many YouTubers, to be fair.) The videos seem to start midway through a lesson and end without conclusion. More recently he's taken to posting 'Benson's secret blues lines part 3' style titles, without any sign of any previous parts being available. So, again, I suspect they're just adverts.

I didn't find Chase Maddox's channel until quite recently, but he's now among my favourite jazz educators. His presentation is clear, he explains things well, his topics tend to be things of interest to me, and his examples are useful. I'm actually mid-way through watching the Secret Of Two Chords video right now. (I hate how everything is described as a 'secret' - I saw one video recently described as revealing a Barry Harris secret, Barry being the guy who toured the world telling his 'secrets' to everybody who would listen.)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    I've watched Peter Farrell's videos off and on for years. It always feels like there's some interesting information there, but he never really explains anything clearly. I'm not sure if he's a bad teacher, or if the videos are acting merely as adverts for his paid stuff. (That seems to be true of many YouTubers, to be fair.) The videos seem to start midway through a lesson and end without conclusion. More recently he's taken to posting 'Benson's secret blues lines part 3' style titles, without any sign of any previous parts being available. So, again, I suspect they're just adverts.

I didn't find Chase Maddox's channel until quite recently, but he's now among my favourite jazz educators. His presentation is clear, he explains things well, his topics tend to be things of interest to me, and his examples are useful. I'm actually mid-way through watching the Secret Of Two Chords video right now. (I hate how everything is described as a 'secret' - I saw one video recently described as revealing a Barry Harris secret, Barry being the guy who toured the world telling his 'secrets' to everybody who would listen.)
    Haha ikr

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    I've watched Peter Farrell's videos off and on for years. It always feels like there's some interesting information there, but he never really explains anything clearly. I'm not sure if he's a bad teacher, or if the videos are acting merely as adverts for his paid stuff.
    Mmmm...I really want to play like George Benson and this guy seems to have the secret but it's not very clear in his videos...maybe I should buy his book...it's really, really expensive but it will be worth it if I can play like GB...and buying the book will result in that...won't it?

User Info Menu

Neither mentioned Bm over Cmaj7…..isn’t that a “secret” too?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by alltunes
    Neither mentioned Bm over Cmaj7…..isn’t that a “secret” too?
    Na B major on Cmaj7 is the real secret. That’s like level 5 of my ‘major seventh sound in 5 levels’ vid..

Oh crap I’m going to have to make that video now aren’t I

ARRGGGHHHHH

User Info Menu

My opinion on secret chords and YouTube feuds:

George Benson teacher attacking other teacher calling him idiot, a-hole and loser-ew4apb5wgam4ssd-jpg

User Info Menu

I also feel if Peter got over his hostility to JGO he’d fit in very well here

User Info Menu

Have you folks seen this young George Benson clone on YouTube? Where he can go with that, I don't know.

User Info Menu

It's all very...

to me.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=CliffR;1325233
    I didn't find Chase Maddox's channel until quite recently, but he's now among my favourite jazz educators. His presentation is clear, he explains things well, his topics tend to be things of interest to me, and his examples are useful. I'm actually mid-way through watching the Secret Of Two Chords video right now. (I hate how everything is described as a 'secret' - I saw one video recently described as revealing a Barry Harris secret, Barry being the guy who toured the world telling his 'secrets' to everybody who would listen.)[/QUOTE]

I've seen several of Chase's videos. I subscribed to his channel. I'm not keeping up with it much these days as my guitar-playing focus lies elsewhere. But I think he's a talented and earnest young man who presents his material well.
    Peter has referred to Chase before, saying that he (Chase) is wrong.

By the way, the "two chords" thing is something Ferrell has talked about before. (I have a pdf of his on the subject and used a line derived from it in my song "Grumpy." That was a couple years ago.) Chase is referring here (about the two chords) to something George Benson said in his (George's) recent interview with Rick Beato. There's overlap, of course, but Chase is giving his take on what George said in that interview.

My two cents.

I think Peter is a great player, but I find his YouTube lessons hard to follow. (The fault there may lie entirely with me.) I have not bought or seen any of his books. Some swear they are great. I can't disagree.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    Mmmm...I really want to play like George Benson and this guy seems to have the secret but it's not very clear in his videos...maybe I should buy his book...it's really, really expensive but it will be worth it if I can play like GB...and buying the book will result in that...won't it?
    If buying books made us great players, we'd all be great players.
    But that books won't make us great players is no argument against learning what one can from books.

As for Peter, he does have George's endorsement, which ain't chopped liver.
    My interest in George was never his playing---he's great, a master, yet I never wanted to play like him---but his technique, his facility on the instrument.

George talked long ago to Jody Fisher about how he reduced his ideas to their simplest form. He said he thought of major and minor, that's it. (For Joe Pass, it was major / minor / dominant.) Or tonic / dominant. He's not looking to explain all of what happening in his playing; rather, he's got a mental 3x5 card of bullet points.

User Info Menu

If the secret is out, soon everybody will be playing like George Benson.

User Info Menu

Benson treats everything as I and V,

You're welcome, that'll be $250.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

spoiler!

Here is Peter explaining the the «two chords» (and calling Chase idiot and more). He might be right about the correct understanding of the «two chords»-concept, but that doesnt give him the right to act like he is doing:

George Benson teacher attacking other teacher calling him idiot, a-hole and loser-img_4469-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MarkRhodes
    If buying books made us great players, we'd all be great players.
    But that books won't make us great players is no argument against learning what one can from books.
    Only if his books are clearer than his videos
    Last edited by Irishmuso; 03-24-2024 at 03:55 AM. Reason: spelling mistake

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

Should have paywalled it with one of those ‘sales funnel’ pages

Whale hunting is a profitable enterprise it turns out. I’ve heard some stories

User Info Menu

15 years of lessons with George Benson ? . MF has single-handedly paid for Benson's plastic surgery .

He gets an endorsement from Benson , Benson gets a new nose , I guess that's the going rate .

These sort of petty internet spats make me long for the days of cutting contests when musicians would compete on the bandstand , like Steve Vai and Karate Kid in that ridiculous film . Either that or an old-fashioned straightener in a pub carpark .

Hmmm , one of the abiding questions of our time , who would win a pub fight between Peter Farrell and Chase Maddox ?

Farrell , being Brazilian , may have some BJJ skills but he gives the impression of being one of those people who can wave his arms about and shout but as soon as he receives a good crack in the mouth his legs go and he crumples . Anyway it would be a fascinating spectacle , I wonder if it can be arranged ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller

Whale hunting is a profitable enterprise it turns out. I’ve heard some stories

What do you mean by whale hunting ?

User Info Menu

Instead of pursuing a sales strategy of many small sales, pursue a few very big sales.