The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's a good article but doesn't really tell me anything new. Just gets science-y about it. I play my best when I'm very relaxed. When I don't really give a crap what anyone thinks and am not consciously try to work out my part in the brain. A basic sketch idea already set in my head long before helps me get there easier because less thinking is involved.

User Info Menu

Music is Gung Fu. Being "in the zone" is Gung Fu. Flow is Gung Fu. It goes beyond the brain, and actually the brain can be a great hindrance: you need to STOP thinking to get there. Which is actually how alot of rock and roll has been made over the years... and alot of the GOOD jazz.

Was it Charlie Parker? "Learn everything, then forget it all and just play"?

User Info Menu

Unlike most other types of music, jazz involves a lot of mental organization and conscious focus when practicing and even off the instrument. But if you still have to think when you are performing, then you haven't practiced enough to internalize and hear your ideas.
    Last edited by Tal_175; 03-16-2024 at 05:47 PM.

User Info Menu

You have to practice enough to have enough brain-time left over to think.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Jazz involves the brain!
    No friggin way. I thought it was fundamentally so anti-intellectual that amoebas could do it.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 03-17-2024 at 02:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Findings sound familiar to me

- Practice a lot for a long time
    - Relax in deep focus listening
    - Do it! Let go and play by ear

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    No friggin way. I thought it was fundamentally so anti-intellectual that amoebas could do it.
    Thinking is the enemy of flow.
    Amoebas have an advantage.

Jazz involves the brain!-jpg