The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    Anyone else here study with Dan Haerle at North Texas.

I just heard that Dan has passed away.

Dan was so important in getting me started on my musical journey when I studied jazz theory and jazz improvisation with him at North Texas in the late '70's.

I owe so very much to this man.

Really sorry to hear that he is gone.

Dan Haerle has passed away-screenshot-2024-03-03-6-34-40 am-png
    Last edited by SwingSwangSwung; 03-03-2024 at 11:11 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

RIP. So sorry to hear that.

I have, cherish and have extensively used (even applying it to the guitar) his marvelous book Jazz/Rock Voicings for the Contemporary Keyboard Player. One of my favourite music books ever. A milestone!

User Info Menu

I had a copy of Jazz/Rock Voicings For the Contemporary Keyboard Player in the late 70's too.
    Much of the content could be applied to guitar.

More recently Dan did a number of lessons on My Music Masterclass.
    I got them partly out of curiosity but got more interesting concepts than I'd thought I would.

A great member of the small, select group of jazz educators.

RIP Mr Haerle

User Info Menu

RIP, Dan.

I first heard his name in connection with Jamey Aebersold.

Sorry to hear that.

His championing of modes of the harmonic minor scale was my favorite go-to "rebuttal" against what seemed like universal dogma in "jazz" theory for a while there.

Plus, I've met a few students of his from North Texas, and they had nothing but the highest praise for his personal qualities as a teacher and player.

User Info Menu

I had Dan for two theory classes back in the day.

When I was at North Texas I saw as many faculty and guest performances as I could manage. The best of the best performances was when Dave Liebman visited and performed with Dan, Ed Soph on drums and Fred Hamilton on bass. I remember it like yesterday, 25 years later.