The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Interested in what you guys who have seen it think. The dialogue is really hard to understand with the Jamaican patois dialect. I almost walked out but it got much better and the soundtrack is amazing. Especially through a theatre sound system. Went to Reggae Sunsplash one year...another story...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Seemed like it was going to be as bad as Bohemian Rhapsody, just 2 hours of Kingsley Ben-Adir walking around saying song titles. You ever hear the Patton Oswalt bit about selling out?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    [...] as bad as Bohemian Rhapsody, [...]
    That was my first thought when I saw a short trailer on those video screens that are now evrywhere on the walls of Munich's subway stations. (Having worked 18 years as a lighting tech, what I disliked most about the Queen movie was the lighting in the concert scenes.)

There is a nice documentary on Arte TV (French-German public TV station) ATM. I do not know where the OP comes from, unfortunately it is not available on their English edition, only with French or German subtitles. I understand Jamaican Patois very well, so I could follow the original interviews without looking at the subtitles.

Marley - Die ganze Doku | ARTE

User Info Menu

I am in Falmouth Jamaica right now, and I am not good at all with the dialect.

We run a clinic here sponsored by the local Methodist church.

Looking forward to the movie though.

One Love, the new Bob Marley film-img_0318-jpg

One Love, the new Bob Marley film-img_0313-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I am in Falmouth Jamaica right now, and I am not good at all with the dialect.

We run a clinic here sponsored by the local Methodist church.

Looking forward to the movie though.

One Love, the new Bob Marley film-img_0318-jpg

One Love, the new Bob Marley film-img_0313-jpg
    Regarding patois: I have never been to Jamaika but I have listened to a lot of its music starting from mento over Count Ossie's rasta drumming over ska and rocksteady to roots and dub reggae and dancehall and hiphop reggae in the past 30 years. I played in a band for 10 years that was not strictly reggae but had a lot to do with Munich's reggae scene. At one point we also started a sound system in the beergarden of a local club that became quite successful as it attracted a lot of "youth" from the local hiphop scene. We got to know a DJ crew of dancehall 7" collectors that we integrated into the sound system. Through all this I not got deeply into the music but into the dialect as well. With my band we played at big festivals with people like Burning Spear and the Wailers (w/o Bob of course, replaced at that time by an arrogant bloke living in Hamburg).

Of course the view on Jamaica is very much romantized in our rich countries. One guy from the above mentioned DJ crew did an internship at a hospital in Kingston during his study of medicine. When I met him later he told me that he soon was fed up with seeing so much blood from knife fights every night. I hope your work is less stressful.

Regarding cinema, I'll wait until that Bob Marley movie will be on TV in a few years. Meanwhile I rather revisit "The Harder They Come" (1972, feat. Jimmy Cliff as main actor) ...

... and "Rockers" (1978, feat. a lot of famous Jamaican musicians as actors)

Movies are a very good way to learn a language IMO. (My French got much better after seeing "La Guerre des Etoiles", "L'Empire rebattre" and "La retour des Jedis" during an youth exchange LOL.)

User Info Menu

My wife and I watched it on opening night. Fantastic! Yes, a little difficulty with the dialogue, but all in all we thoroughly enjoyed it.

AKA

User Info Menu

Going to watch it tonight. Finally have enough time thanks to ukwritings.com. It's been ages since I've had a chance to relax and unwind with a good movie, but now that my schedule has cleared up, I'm diving straight into some much-needed entertainment. There's nothing quite like kicking back and escaping into a captivating story, especially after a long day of work or studying.
    Last edited by benhatchins; 03-21-2024 at 02:50 PM.