The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Dare I even ask ? Yes, it's for a land line, and my current 20 + year old unit's volume is maxed out and could use one more setting. I have recently learned that cordless phones these days are like microwaves - there are only two phone manufacturers - Vtech and Panasonic. I just bought a Panasonic and it's probably no better than my current one - just newer.
    Any suggestions appreciated, and thanks.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It (um) sounds like the problem-to-be-solved is volume--though whether from speaker or handset isn't clear. We're long-time Panasonic users, and our (now middle-aged) five-handset system seems plenty loud in both departments.

There's a Wirecutter (New York Times product evaluation) feature on cordless phones at

The 4 Best Cordless Phones 2024 | Reviews by Wirecutter

that recommends the Panasonic KX-TGM420W for audio volume--specifically for "most people with hearing loss." The article might be behind a paywall (we're NYT subscribers), so here's the Amazon page with the details.

Amazon.com

It ain't cheap--$126 for the base model and $70 for a second handset. On the other hand, our Panasonics have been reliable--and still working on the rechargeable batteries they came with.

I'm finding it interesting (as an officially Old Person) to see the range of products aimed at the geriatric market.

User Info Menu

Yeah, as another official old guy I was thinking "time for hearing aid?" It's getting to be time for me at least...

Panasonic has been good for us, both at home and at the shop. If it's ringer volume, that can be fixed. At work the phone's hooked up to some sort of buzzer/bell thingy so we can hear it over the machinery. Not sure how it works but it must be pretty simple since the boss was able to set it up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RLetson
    It (um) sounds like the problem-to-be-solved is volume--though whether from speaker or handset isn't clear. We're long-time Panasonic users, and our (now middle-aged) five-handset system seems plenty loud in both departments.

There's a Wirecutter (New York Times product evaluation) feature on cordless phones at

The 4 Best Cordless Phones 2024 | Reviews by Wirecutter

that recommends the Panasonic KX-TGM420W for audio volume--specifically for "most people with hearing loss." The article might be behind a paywall (we're NYT subscribers), so here's the Amazon page with the details.

Amazon.com

It ain't cheap--$126 for the base model and $70 for a second handset. On the other hand, our Panasonics have been reliable--and still working on the rechargeable batteries they came with.

I'm finding it interesting (as an officially Old Person) to see the range of products aimed at the geriatric market.

Thanks, I stumbled upon that Wirecutters' feature too. Bottom line I just wish someone had hit a ratings ' home run ' on one of those models but no one did. They all get about 65% five stars tops, but then no one does better than 5-7% one star. And some of the one star ratings comments said they'd be returning theirs for the same reason I'll be returning mine - too low max headset volume and, too low volume of the base for playback.
    Thx again.

User Info Menu

We still have an AT&T branded base station installed, even though we haven't had a land line for many years. It has Bluetooth, and connects to my wife's phone automatically. It's mostly for ring notification, because there is no telling where she left her phone. The handsets work if necessary, when the cell phone is too hard to find. We've noticed no problems with call volume, nor ring volume.

User Info Menu

Update

FWIW, I bought this model about 2 weeks ago. So far so good !

The improved battery life between re-charges is noticeable. I especially like the feel of it - - it's heavy, w/ good volume controls and buttons. It has more settings than I'll ever use .

Hope it lasts a good while.

Thanks for the suggestions.