The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 53 of 53

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Well, you can't blame youngsters for wishing to avoid any kinds of Jazz that seem tired, lame, clichéd etc. But it's one thing to turn your nose up at Louis Jordan, but who's in a position to turn their noses up at Oliver Nelson or Wayne Shorter, or Eric Dolphy? If we're calling it Jazz, then IMHO Roots and sophistication beats cleverness for it's own sake any day. Of course, if it's not Jazz, then "Pure Music" is not really expected to contain any emotional content, and probably hasn't since Schoenberg.

I just don't get why kids wanna do "Maths Jazz", I mean, why restrict yourself? Just make "Maths Music" if you need to feel big and clever!
    Perhaps you are mistaken about their motives. Maybe the young are more attuned to music being made today, rather than that of their grandparents' generation, and older. Young people have always preferred the music of their contemporaries to that of their elders. But others are working with the music of their predecessors.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Perhaps you are mistaken about their motives. Maybe the young are more attuned to music being made today, rather than that of their grandparents' generation, and older. Young people have always preferred the music of their contemporaries to that of their elders. But others are working with the music of their predecessors.

I liked that, kinda reminds of Knower. Roots and sophistication, but done in a fresh, cool way. My complaint about young players is aimed more at the soulless shredding I hear a lot, or the self indulgent "experiments" I'm expected to endure. The thing is, I actually love a lot of experimental music, but don't really care for experimental Jazz. Is that weird?

User Info Menu

I think it was much to-do about nothing. Hold on ………….…. I had to chase some kids off my lawn. I’m going to hang on to the shiny toy they were trying retrieve though! (Still trying to figure out why they called it a drone. Looks like a twirly bird to me. Got to figure out how they keep it up without the rubber band.)

AKA