The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
    I have an associate in Europe that's looking to book some dates in the U.S., using local musicians. Any suggestions for an Agent/Promoter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    MB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Does this person have a label? Promoting an album, or just "I'll tour the US" pet project? If it's a no name jazzer, do they want to play coffee shops for $40?

You can't just cold call gigs at Smalls and The Green Mill.

What is the actual plan?

User Info Menu

Unfortunately the answer to this one is pretty circular.

I used to work at a high end jazz club in New York and people would come in and ask who to talk to about booking the club. The manager would give them the booker’s card and say “have your agent reach out.”

They would say “oh … I don’t have an agent.” And he would say “ah sorry about that.” And that was the conversation.

Meaning that the fact of having an agent was a way of weeding out the inquiries that weren’t going to meet their standards in the first place. In a sense it’s not fair, but it’s also a business and it’s extremely practical.

So I think my response would be … have your friends European agent reach out to a contact in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Does this person have a label? Promoting an album, or just "I'll tour the US" pet project? If it's a no name jazzer, do they want to play coffee shops for $40?

You can't just cold call gigs at Smalls and The Green Mill.

What is the actual plan?
    He does, but he's not necessarily promoting an album. He's based in Europe and has played all over the place with some fairly hefty names like; Billy Cobham, Jimmy Cobb, Albert Heath, Paolo Conte, Danny Gottlieb, Gary Husband and some others. It's not his main gig though, he's also an instructor at a music conservatory.

Exactly, that's why the plan would be to get someone in the U.S. that's in the industry that could represent him and lineup some gigs during his stay.

Thanks for the post and

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Blues
    He does, but he's not necessarily promoting an album. He's based in Europe and has played all over the place with some fairly hefty names like; Billy Cobham, Jimmy Cobb, Albert Heath, Paolo Conte, Danny Gottlieb, Gary Husband and some others. It's not his main gig though, he's also an instructor at a music conservatory.

Exactly, that's why the plan would be to get someone in the U.S. that's in the industry that could represent him and lineup some gigs during his stay.

Thanks for the post and

Honestly, he should ask those hefty names for help. Cold calling a promoter isn’t how it works here. Unless he’s got a million TikTok followers.

Anything to set him apart from all the other guys with no draw who play well?

You can barely get a gig at a bar cold calling.

Quote Originally Posted by pamosmusic
    Unfortunately the answer to this one is pretty circular.

I used to work at a high end jazz club in New York and people would come in and ask who to talk to about booking the club. The manager would give them the booker’s card and say “have your agent reach out.”

They would say “oh … I don’t have an agent.” And he would say “ah sorry about that.” And that was the conversation.

Meaning that the fact of having an agent was a way of weeding out the inquiries that weren’t going to meet their standards in the first place. In a sense it’s not fair, but it’s also a business and it’s extremely practical.

So I think my response would be … have your friends European agent reach out to a contact in the US.
    It is unfortunate, but it's understandable. I'm trying to work the angle his representative overseas, but I thought I'd post here too, to hopefully get some contacts that I could put them in touch with.

Thanks for your post, I appreciate it and

User Info Menu

Google says he is Alessio Menconi.

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Google says he is Alessio Menconi.
    You win BH!