The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 37

User Info Menu

This has bugged me for 30 years.

Vibe. Never mentioned or talked about in formal lessons ever. Gets mentioned sometimes in casual conversations but never investigated. Yet it is a real thing.

Lets see. When browsing through some unknown music, the "vibe" is the first clue to not skip a piece and stay listening.
    When a new thing hits with the "vibe", there is close to 100% chance that the piece itself is for you... or me.

Very often it takes a mere measure or 3 notes to make it happen.

All I'm saying, it is a real thing, not discussed much, mentioned. But what the heck is it?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It’s different for everyone. I can’t describe it, but I know it when I hear it.

User Info Menu

You can't teach vibe, really.

One thing I always worked on with students is producing a good tone, just with your hands, whatever the guitar, the amp, the setup. It can be done. But even that is only one ingredient in the recipe for "the vibe."

You can teach pieces of the puzzle, but the vibe is up to the student to put together.

User Info Menu

A few things that I believe help, listening to a lot of music, spending some serious time with the instrument, and concentrating on the sound a bit, meaning not just at what you play but at how it actually sounds. I always try to practice like that: play the simplest things but always trying to refine them and make them sound better.

You can work on all musical aspects, but at the deeper level it is a reflection of the person playing. What's their vibe?

Music is always history as well, of the era, the social struggles and doings, the personal lives of the musicians, etc. You read about that, more and more the vibe of the music is revealed.

User Info Menu

The vibe can only be created by a combination of all the characteristics that are objectively communicable via the music itself. Therefore it's possible to explain it with music terms, and it is possible to teach.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 01-04-2024 at 05:26 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu

Vibe. Never mentioned or talked about in formal lessons ever. Gets mentioned sometimes in casual conversations but never investigated. Yet it is a real thing.

Lets see. When browsing through some unknown music, the "vibe" is the first clue to not skip a piece and stay listening.
    When a new thing hits with the "vibe", there is close to 100% chance that the piece itself is for you... or me.

All I'm saying, it is a real thing, not discussed much, mentioned. But what the heck is it?
    no one knows and that’s the beauty of it

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    You can't teach vibe, really.

One thing I always worked on with students is producing a good tone, just with your hands, whatever the guitar, the amp, the setup. It can be done. But even that is only one ingredient in the recipe for "the vibe."

You can teach pieces of the puzzle, but the vibe is up to the student to put together.
    I think you can teach vibe. Or rather you can teach how to cultivate the state of being where vibe can occur, and how not to muck it up when it appears.

The first rule being that you can’t make a vibe. Stop TRYING!

I had a singing teacher who was into this. Lessons could be pretty trippy.

There’s a lot you can do to open the doors of perception without going near any substances (but substances have obviously played a complex role in all of this historically.)

Which is of course why all the ex-druggy musicians get really into their Buddhism, yoga etc when they get clean. Fills the same void, opens the same channels, only less destructive.

of course, this is open territory for the new age grifters and gurus, but there is something there.

User Info Menu

One man's vibe is another man's turn-off. Like jazz :-)

User Info Menu

Not sure I've fully understood... I suppose I can relate to it more as a listener... like suddenly "falling in love" (?) with a piece of music/song/phrase/voicing/vibe/whatever...(perhaps even something I've just played) ...and the rest of the world around you just dissolves...?

User Info Menu

I'm reminded of one of my favourite Viz reader tips: "A Smarties tube filled with angry wasps can make an inexpensive vibrator."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    I think you can teach vibe. Or rather you can teach how to cultivate the state of being where vibe can occur, and how not to muck it up when it appears.

There’s a lot you can do to open the doors of perception without going near any substances (but substances have obviously played a complex role in all of this historically.)

Which is of course why all the ex-druggy musicians get really into their Buddhism, yoga etc when they get clean. Fills the same void, opens the same channels, only less destructive.

of course, this is open territory for the new age grifters and gurus, but there is something there.
    Oh, see, I don't think that's what vibe is, at all.

User Info Menu

My impression is the word “VIBE” was first used by jazz “cats”, in a negative connotation, like the unwelcome display of “attitude”, as a verb. “He’s vibing me, man!”. At some point, the word passed on to general usage, and became linguistic tofu: took on the taste of whatever greater context it was attached to, synonymous with “overall feeling of a scene”.

User Info Menu

Isn't it the thing where if you need someone to explain it to you, you'll never really "get" it?

Vibe is musical pheromones.

What bugs me the most is that groove can take time, or melody.. to start working. Or anything you can write a theory book about.
    But with vibe, often it can take 3 seconds to "happen" and it lasts for the entire piece. This is magic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Oh, see, I don't think that's what vibe is, at all.
    Well your definition of vibe is clearly objectively wrong ;-)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Navdeep_Singh
    My impression is the word “VIBE” was first used by jazz “cats”, in a negative connotation, like the unwelcome display of “attitude”, as a verb. “He’s vibing me, man!”. At some point, the word passed on to general usage, and became linguistic tofu: took on the taste of whatever greater context it was attached to, synonymous with “overall feeling of a scene”.
    People still use it that way. Well jazz musicians do, I'm not always 100% that they are "people".

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CliffR
    I'm reminded of one of my favourite Viz reader tips: "A Smarties tube filled with angry wasps can make an inexpensive vibrator."
    If nothing else survives of our civilisation except for this, it will have been worth it.

User Info Menu

What bugs me the most is that groove can take time, or melody.. to start working. Or anything you can write a theory book about.
    But with vibe, often it can take 3 seconds to "happen" and it lasts for the entire piece. This is magic.
    It is kind of magical. But ultimately it just consists of the characteristics of the music. Then this comes from the characteristics of the musicians. But you can analyze what gives the music that effect. It's not unachievable through understanding.

User Info Menu

I did not know that vibe could have a negative connotation. But then language is also under constant change ... (BTW ex-bebop lady on one of the basses on this one.)

User Info Menu

For me, great vibe comes with great time feel, great sound and competent everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by rpjazzguitar
    For me, great vibe comes with great time feel, great sound and competent everything else.
    I've gotten awesome instant vibes from folk music, recorded badly, with not so fancy instruments, a bit out of tune, played sloppily.

User Info Menu

^ And those are some characteristics affecting the vibe.

Quote Originally Posted by frabarmus
    Not sure I've fully understood... I suppose I can relate to it more as a listener... like suddenly "falling in love" (?) with a piece of music/song/phrase/voicing/vibe/whatever...(perhaps even something I've just played) ...and the rest of the world around you just dissolves...?
    Kinda like love from the first sight - thats a real thing too... lets not go there.

And doesn't disappear. I think all those hundreds of pieces with the vibe(for me) have it still and they keep going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller

I had a teacher who twisted my brains in this matter a lot. Actually a few more went there when nothing else seemed to work
    The cosmos. Or something.

Can't teach, the student has no clue what you're talking about