The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    It is kind of magical. But ultimately it just consists of the characteristics of the music. Then this comes from the characteristics of the musicians. But you can analyze what gives the music that effect. It's not unachievable through understanding.
    Is it a characteristic of the music, or a response by the listener? Vibe is not measurable, unlike rhythm or other characteristics of a song. Vibe is something listeners feel, but would all listeners feel it? I doubt it.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Is it a characteristic of the music, or a response by the listener?
    That's a good point, it's both.

Vibe is not measurable, unlike rhythm or other characteristics of a song.
    No, but it's describable. And you can infer what creates the effects.

Vibe is something listeners feel, but would all listeners feel it? I doubt it.
    It's possible to be agreed upon even though listeners would individually have different responses.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    I had a teacher who twisted my brains in this matter a lot. Actually a few more went there when nothing else seemed to work
    The cosmos. Or something.

Can't teach, the student has no clue what you're talking about
    is it a bit like this post? ;-)

Uh?

User Info Menu

I got some vibe for ya.

User Info Menu

Do equivalents to vibe exist in other musical cultures?

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    is it a bit like this post? ;-)
    Hm. I played "mechanically" way back in classical music school. Dunno what was the problem, I enjoyed it.
    At some point the teacher just tried to talk about..... asdfasdfasdgsakdfgsdklfngskjdfg..... I don't remember, dozed off most of the times.

Another one said : "before starting to play, listen to the signal from the cosmos".

I guess that was related to the lack of vibe of my performance. But I was enjoying playing just as it was.

User Info Menu

Uh?
    that’s what I said

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    that’s what I said
    It is text, no faces, no nothing. English is not my language but it is yours.

edit: assumptions and implications to minimum, please

User Info Menu

assumptions and implications to minimum, please
    Allusions, metaphors. I can't stand all that stuff people constantly leverage with on forums and English is my primary language.
    Last edited by Jimmy Smith; 01-06-2024 at 01:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Navdeep_Singh
    My impression is the word “VIBE” was first used by jazz “cats”, in a negative connotation, like the unwelcome display of “attitude”, as a verb. “He’s vibing me, man!”. At some point, the word passed on to general usage, and became linguistic tofu: took on the taste of whatever greater context it was attached to, synonymous with “overall feeling of a scene”.
    Unless stated as something positive (Good Vibrations- Beach Boys) I've always taken it to mean something negative.
    "I get a bad vibe from that dude".

Either way it's an emotional state.

Yeah, completely emotional and also totally individual.
    The movie theme from Chinatown gives out a lot of vibe for me. Showed it to a friend, he said "nothing. not a thing".