The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

View Poll Results: Lefties: Do you play left- or right-handed?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm left-handed and play left-handed

4 17.39%
  • I'm left-handed and play right-handed

13 56.52%
  • I'm right-handed and only curious about the results

6 26.09%
  • Left or right playing is overrated

0 0%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21

User Info Menu

Inspired by a recent thread the other way round I got curious about the question mentioned in the headline.
    Because I'm left-handed. Grown up in the sixties and seventies in the bavarian country side, I was told doing each manual thing right-handed, especially writing and, of course, playing guitar right-handed. That was normal then.
    Beside the impossibility of buying a lefty guitar at that time here in the middle-of-nowhere, I never had the idea of playing the guitar like Albert King or Jimi.
    However, I'm still playing guitar right-handed with the advantage of having a bigger market for guitars. Also I'm not afraid of any exotic chord as long as I can stretch it.

But a big disadvantage is my weak right hand. It's well trained over the years but don't ask me to strum 16th notes or groovy funk rhythms. Forget it!

How is it here in the forum? Are you lefty and which side are you on when playing? Right side or dark side?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am a lefty who has always played right-handed guitars. The first musical instrument I played was the right-handed recorder — my parents could not find a sinister version anywhere. Then I took lessons on the right-handed piano: we had two at home, and the pianos at school were all right-handed, so I had no choice but to play that way. My father bought me my first guitar — a right-handed acoustic. Since then, all my guitars have been right-handed: the stores stock more of that kind, in a greater variety of types and colours.

But here's the twist: when I play my right-handed guitar, I believe I am playing left-handed. My left hand does the clever stuff — scales, arpeggios, that sort of thing; I look at it while I play. I trust my right hand to get on with its tasks, without much attention from me. This method works for me, as it does for right-handers.

User Info Menu

Yep, leftie who plays right.
    I remember entering the local music store with my parents, looking for my first guitar, about 1976; the old owner said, "Left-handed?! You can't play left handed! You have to get a right handed guitar!" And so it went ... [I also golf and bat right-handed, but kick, write, and eat left-handed/footed!]

User Info Menu

I play left handed. When starting, I tried the other way, but had the problem the op mentioned, a rhythmically weak right hand. I knew about Hendrix so..

User Info Menu

I’ve never understood why “left-handed” guitars are even a thing. There are no left-handed cellos, violins, string basses, harpsichords or, as noted, pianos.

User Info Menu

I'm lefty, and been playing since I was 12 years old. I never even thought of playing a lefty guitar. Mom and dad bought me my first guitar, a real piece of crap acoustic. The string action was so high, my guitar teacher wondered how I could play it.

But my love affair with guitars began, and guitar addiction soon took over. I'm so glad I learned to play righty!

joelf Guest
    Leftie, play rightie...

User Info Menu

I am fairly ambidextrous but settled on writing, eating, and other fine motor tasks left handed, but seem to be right hand dominant--I throw and bat, and tennis RH. I play as a righty but always felt my picking hand (and talent deficit) held me back.

Interestingly, it came to my attention recently that Ringo Starr was a lefty that played with a right handed kit. Growing up my drummer friends would comment that his parts that sound easy were surprising hard to duplicate.

I am 70 now and recall seeing only two left handed fiddle players in my life...both self taught playing bluegrass.

User Info Menu

Lefty that plays right handed. Golf right handed, baseball, pickle ball etc. left handed.

User Info Menu

Left-handed but play right-handed. Noting, many left-handed people are ambidextrous anyways.

As for guitar, the way I figure it is, I naturally hold a pencil in my left hand to write or draw. So chording with that hand is an extension of that sort of dexterity. And guitar playing is a two-handed operation anyways.

Or... I was given a right-handed guitar when I was young, didn't know any better and, being adaptably ambidextrous, just learned that way.

I don't even think I could play left-handed now if I tried.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Blkat
    Noting, many left-handed people are ambidextrous anyways.
    You mean mixed handed. That means one can naturally do some tasks with their non dominant hand which is somewhat common, especially among left handers. Ambidexterity means one can do any task that requires dexterity with either hand, such as writing, throwing, music instruments, working with tools, etc. It's quite rare.

I was given a right-handed guitar when I was young, didn't know any better and, being adaptably ambidextrous, just learned that way. I don't even think I could play left-handed now if I tried.
    If you were ambidextrous you could do any task either way, within reason.

User Info Menu

I’m ambidextrous with tools.

Nobody told me it was supposed to be hard to use a wrench or hammer with my left hand, so I would switch hands to get into a tight spot or to keep working without moving.

It’s surprising what we can learn with an open mind.

User Info Menu

You have some mixed handedness. Can you pitch a baseball left handed?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    You have some mixed handedness. Can you pitch a baseball left handed?
    No, someone told me only to use my right.

User Info Menu

So you're not ambidextrous.

User Info Menu

I think lefties can use the right hand better than righties their left hand due to the fact that the world is more or less adapted to right-handed people. Lefties have to deal with that.
    I can use a wrench in the right hand without much thinking. I do it regulary because screws tighten clockwise, i.e. it's easier for me to hold the wrench in the right hand.
    But manual actions requiring some feeling I do with the left hand only. E.g. cutting with a scissor or knife.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    I’m ambidextrous with tools.

Nobody told me it was supposed to be hard to use a wrench or hammer with my left hand, so I would switch hands to get into a tight spot or to keep working without moving.

It’s surprising what we can learn with an open mind.
    I've always done the same thing! I never thought it a big deal until someone told me they can "only" use one hand or the other.

I very briefly took tennis lessons when I was a kid and the instructor kept getting frustrated because I found it easier just to switch hands rather than do all that backhand stuff. Probably why I didn't become a tennis pro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    No, someone told me only to use my right.
    lol

my oldest sister is a lefty.

my parents: “fight the power, kid. Left hand only. That’ll show em.”

my other sister and I are both righties.

my parents: “this was a mistake. You two will conform.”

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by StuartF
    There are no left-handed cellos, violins, string basses, harpsichords or, as noted, pianos.
    Actually, lefty violins do exist as exceptions to the rule. I know of 2 players who played them. One, whose name I forget, because he had lost one or more fingers on his left hand (much less of an issue for holding a bow). The other, Reinhardt Goebbel, who IIRC developed an issue in his right arm or shoulder. He at least had to re-learn everything.

User Info Menu

Then there’s the French Horn. They’re ALL left handed!

User Info Menu