The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Closed Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Posts 201 to 225 of 273

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    Hey, that's the guy from the Dune movie!

And instead of calling the mods we'd better call The Police!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Hey, that's the guy from the Dune movie!

And instead of calling the mods we'd better call The Police!
    This guy?

The peak of British telly.

User Info Menu

We lost Barry to COVID. Many others.
    I hadn't known about Barry and COVID. I lost 4 very close friends to it. 3 had the "it's no worse than the flu, it's all a hyped up phony hysteria, I'll be fine" and they died of it within a week. The 4th had it, recovered, got it again and died.

I can see dying for the cost of my freedom, but it's different when my freedom potentially harms or even kills someone else. I have no right to expect or force someone else to die or even suffer for my freedom.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by swampguide
    Accusing me of being of bigot is going too far. You've been pretty offensive in this thread - calling people cowards and such. I hope the moderators of this forum are watching this thread. In my opinion you don't belong here - whatever you may know about jazz guitar.
    I don't know what he knows about jazz guitar. I'd love to hear him play. A lot of times, if someone can really play, it bridges a lot of conflicts and gaps.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by northernbreed
    Why your sad ass hasn’t been banned here is a mystery to me. God, you are insufferable.
    It is good to have such loonies being able to post. If they were banned, we wouldn't know who they are and what they 'think'. (think being relative of course!).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jameslovestal
    It is good to have such loonies being able to post. If they were banned, we wouldn't know who they are and what they 'think'. (think being relative of course!).
    PS: this applies to the one good thing about Jan 6th. They were out in the open and now the most traitorous are behind bars!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    I don't know what he knows about jazz guitar. I'd love to hear him play. A lot of times, if someone can really play, it bridges a lot of conflicts and gaps.
    As I recall, Dawgbone first posted here about a year ago. He described himself as a blues player who was either looking for or had an archtop (Epiphone?) he wanted to use on blues gigs. He was interested in tips and info on improving it (swapping parts etc?). I'm pretty sure he put up one post with a clip of his playing (and singing?) with his band, and if memory serves me it was good. I don't think he's ever claimed to be a jazz player.

User Info Menu

Not just Barry. Mike Longo, Wallace Roney, Lee Konitz. Tons of working guys who weren't big names. Mostly on the older side, but Roney was barely 60.

User Info Menu

I hadn't known about Barry and COVID. I lost 4 very close friends to it. 3 had the "it's no worse than the flu, it's all a hyped up phony hysteria, I'll be fine" and they died of it within a week. The 4th had it, recovered, got it again and died.

I can see dying for the cost of my freedom, but it's different when my freedom potentially harms or even kills someone else. I have no right to expect or force someone else to die or even suffer for my freedom.
    Agreed. Like wanting to have freedom that potentially infects others while, at the same time, getting mad at those who want the freedom not to be infected (as well as the freedom not to infect others). And, on top of that, dressing up as victims, martyrs, in the name of reasoning that highlights a lack of sense of community....
    Last edited by frabarmus; 01-20-2024 at 03:30 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    As I recall, Dawgbone first posted here about a year ago. He described himself as a blues player who was either looking for or had an archtop (Epiphone?) he wanted to use on blues gigs. He was interested in tips and info on improving it (swapping parts etc?). I'm pretty sure he put up one post with a clip of his playing (and singing?) with his band, and if memory serves me it was good. I don't think he's ever claimed to be a jazz player.
    Fair enough. Thanks for filling me in. I always pay extra attention to things said by folks who have shown they can really play. I'm glad to know he has skin in the game musically.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    Not just Barry. Mike Longo, Wallace Roney, Lee Konitz. Tons of working guys who weren't big names. Mostly on the older side, but Roney was barely 60.
    I didn’t even know Roney had died.

User Info Menu

I didn’t even know Roney had died.
    Also Ellis Marsalis, Manu Dibango...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dasein
    No, they don't. Medicare (and only Medicare) patients get an extra 20% reimbursement (which in reality doesn't even amount to 20% when you add everything up), and which still doesn't cover the full cost of treating a Covid patient.

Hospital COVID payments tied to patient treatment, not deaths | AP News

I didn't ask for your friends' names. I asked the department heads and hospital admins who pushed them towards a specific policy. That's public knowledge, you can look that up on any institution's website.

But I'm glad I can "choose to believe it or not" since I believe the far, far more likely answer is that these friends don't actually exist, and that this is yet another example of the extremely common phenomenon whereby someone hears from a third party that "they have a doctor friend who says XYZ," which in subsequent retellings magically transforms into "I have a doctor friend who says XYZ" to lend it additional credibility. Of course, the original storyteller doesn't actually have that friend either, they also heard it from a third party, who in turn also from someone else, ad infinitum. An elaborate network of third-party hearsay with no actual first-party.

I stand corrected, and I appreciate the thoroughness and attention to detail that you've used in this thread. You're doing the Lord's work.
    Covid patients require isolation and extra protection, each of which cost money, which was then added to the Medicare reimbursement rate.

Would a doctor code Covid, without evidence of it, to increase the hospital's reimbursement, without actually providing the extra isolation and protection? It would require falsifying entries in the chart, including test results, once the tests were available. And, there are reviewers who routinely check such things both for the hospital and the insurer.

Could somebody have slipped through this system? I would suppose so. Did it happen on any sort of consistent basis? The article posted doesn't even allege that. It doesn't even allege a single instance of it. All it does is suggest that there would be an incentive for doing so, while ignoring the difficulties of actually implementing such a scheme.

So, then I checked the source. Apparently, a house organ for the right wing. The article quotes the Foundation for Economic Education -- another right wing organization.

As an aside: If you go to the CDC website, you can view the form doctors have to fill out when there's a death. Covid doesn't kill anybody, not exactly; most people survive it. Rather, people with Covid die from things like respiratory failure which was, in turn, caused by Covid. The form is filled out by a doctor. Some would write Covid as the main cause and some would write Respiratory Failure as the main cause and Covid as a contributing factor. This was exploited by the right wing to make ridiculous allegations. I would presume that, in many cases, it's hard for the doctor to know how much Covid contributed to a death. Iirc the form ask about contributory factors.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 01-20-2024 at 08:09 PM.

User Info Menu

Perhaps the Hill is a more neutrally based resource ( The link is accessible)

Access to this page has been denied

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Fair enough. Thanks for filling me in. I always pay extra attention to things said by folks who have shown they can really play. I'm glad to know he has skin in the game musically.
    Yes I have some skin in the game. About 25 years worth. My entire adult life. A half dozen cross country moves. Thousands of late nights. A lot of cold food. A lot of nights hitting the sack with my ripped cuticles throbbing. A lot of mornings I couldn't speak. And more bullshit than the king ranch. To play a guitar. And I still ain't any good IMO. Great memories though. I can't believe I signed up for it. The "20/20 vision" makes me feel like it was all a mistake. I should've embraced my inner mountain man and moved to the woods, it never closes. Ah, hindsight....

I had huge plans here. An on site studio for family and friends and friends of friends with my son as engineer since he understands tech and I don't. A big crows nest/pavilion with sweeping views of the hills and city for shooting full band vids of groups that were worth it. All those thoughts is gone. I don't want to sink deep roots anymore now that the "community" collectively shut me down once already. I find being obstinate is a necessity for seeing through a creative vision so I had that going for me all along. I'm definitely even more obstinate now. Can you tell? LOL

I realize the nature of business is change and you either adapt or fold but this has been like drinking age laws, DWI laws, and smoking laws times 10 all in the span of a year. None of which I agree with either, btw, sorry/not sorry. At least my band didn't fold like a lot of other bands here so I'm still chugging along and grateful for it. At some point I don't think quitting is even possible. To much of a habit for too long. Paydays have risen but so have costs and the gigs are fewer. So it's an uphill battle. It has always been, it's just the climb is steeper now. But hey I'm gigging tonight. I suppose I better go get ready.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    Yes I have some skin in the game. About 25 years worth. My entire adult life. A half dozen cross country moves. Thousands of late nights. A lot of cold food. A lot of nights hitting the sack with my ripped cuticles throbbing. A lot of mornings I couldn't speak. And more bullshit than the king ranch. To play a guitar. And I still ain't any good IMO. Great memories though. I can't believe I signed up for it. The "20/20 vision" makes me feel like it was all a mistake. I should've embraced my inner mountain man and moved to the woods, it never closes. Ah, hindsight....

I had huge plans here. An on site studio for family and friends and friends of friends with my son as engineer since he understands tech and I don't. A big crows nest/pavilion with sweeping views of the hills and city for shooting full band vids of groups that were worth it. All those thoughts is gone. I don't want to sink deep roots anymore now that the "community" collectively shut me down once already. I find being obstinate is a necessity for seeing through a creative vision so I had that going for me all along. I'm definitely even more obstinate now. Can you tell? LOL

I realize the nature of business is change and you either adapt or fold but this has been like drinking age laws, DWI laws, and smoking laws times 10 all in the span of a year. None of which I agree with either, btw, sorry/not sorry. At least my band didn't fold like a lot of other bands here so I'm still chugging along and grateful for it. At some point I don't think quitting is even possible. To much of a habit for too long. Paydays have risen but so have costs and the gigs are fewer. So it's an uphill battle. It has always been, it's just the climb is steeper now. But hey I'm gigging tonight. I suppose I better go get ready.
    Any musician who is still out there slogging away at his craft and trying to make it as a player has my respect, admiration, and appreciation. Thanks for not giving up in despair or giving in to the nay-sayers and picking up the instrument every day trying to do better. Whatever differences we might have on other things, on this point, my hat is off to you and anyone else out there trying to make it happen in musical performance.

User Info Menu

Any musician who is still out there slogging away at his craft and trying to make it as a player has my respect, admiration, and appreciation. Thanks for not giving up in despair or giving in to the nay-sayers and picking up the instrument every day trying to do better. Whatever differences we might have on other things, on this point, my hat is off to you and anyone else out there trying to make it happen in musical performance.
    differences aside there's a lot of us slogging away but you don't have to act like an ass. [just to be clear this is not directed at Lawson, a fine member of the forum]
    As I and others have said repeatedly in this thread, if you're so hung up on not having your "rights violated or being told what to do" that's perfectly fine and within your rights. but don't let your decisions affect my life. if you don't care if you get sick great, but don't infect me, my family or my friends because of your decisions in life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    As I and others have said repeatedly in this thread, if you're so hung up on not having your "rights violated or being told what to do" that's perfectly fine and within your rights. but don't let your decisions affect my life. if you don't care if you get sick great, but don't infect me, my family or my friends because of your decisions in life.
    The whole point was if you have a concern, stay home. It solves everything except your insistence on maintaining your own access to entertainments. Do not expect the entirety of the red light district to make concessions for your fears. It's unrealistic. The bar is not a health and wellness center. It's a dirty cesspool of drunk and high people who piss, shit, vomit, do drugs, fight, and screw in the bathrooms and don't wash their hands afterwards. That does not sound like where you need to be my man.

User Info Menu

The whole point was if you have a concern, stay home. It solves everything except your insistence on maintaining your own access to entertainments. Do not expect the entirety of the red light district to make concessions for your fears. It's unrealistic. The bar is not a health and wellness center. It's a dirty cesspool of drunk and high people who piss, shit, vomit, do drugs, fight, and screw in the bathrooms and don't wash their hands afterwards. That does not sound like where you need to be my man.
    You must work in a lot of cesspools, sorry to hear.
    Granted enclosed places have a higher instance of transmission but I don't need to get sick from some selfish non caring person who may even be knowingly carrying the virus standing in line w me at the market either.
    The recurring theme in your posts is how all this has affected you and your ability to gig in those cesspools.
    You obviously don't give a crap about anyone but yourself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    You must work in a lot of cesspools, sorry to hear.
    Granted enclosed places have a higher instance of transmission but I don't need to get sick from some selfish non caring person who may even be knowingly carrying the virus standing in line w me at the market either.
    The recurring theme in your posts is how all this has affected you and your ability to gig in those cesspools.
    You obviously don't give a crap about anyone but yourself.
    You can order groceries and other supplies right to your door so you don't have an excuse. I gotta roll. Have a good one.

User Info Menu

You can order groceries and other supplies right to your door so you don't have an excuse. I gotta roll. Have a good one.
    I shouldn't be relegated to locking myself in my house because of the behavior of irresponsible selfish people that think 3.4 million dead people due to Covid were "a few already unhealthy/sickly people, it happens all the time" as you stated.

User Info Menu

You stay home!!!!! If you don't like to follow the rules as established by a society, STAY OUT OF SOCIETY!!!!

User Info Menu

Stay home? Have everything delivered?

Do all medical appointments by Zoom?

Blow off Jury Duty?

Don't get my Driver's License renewed?

All because somebody else thinks their freedom is being limited by a masking requirement? And, that person probably stops at red lights and pays taxes.

User Info Menu

I realize the nature of business is change and you either adapt or fold but this has been like drinking age laws, DWI laws, and smoking laws times 10 all in the span of a year. None of which I agree with either, btw, sorry/not sorry.
    So should we assume by this statement that you're also in favor of people drinking and driving and people smoking in bars?

User Info Menu

I'm 73 fully retired last year, wife is 67 works full time. Neither of us has taken covid vaccination or any boosters. I did have a common cold 4-5 years ago, can't remember last time wife was sick. Both tested negative for covid 3or4 times (work related)... I have Dr's checkup and bloodwork every 6 months. Grocery shop once a week and mostly stay home the rest of the time. I'm not an anti-vaxxer rather than being an anti-covid-vaxxer, apolitical and that's about it. Still on this side of the ground until I'm on the other side of somewhere. Haven't spread covid cause I've never had it to spread, if I did get it I'd stay in and try to wear it off like I do a cold...Just haven't had any reason to panic as long as I stay off the net and news.