The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Closed Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 273
    [QUOTE=Stringswinger;1304355]
    But speaking of "luck", an old friend who is a right-wing anti-vaxxer caught Covid and spent two weeks in the hospital on a ventilator. That turned out to be quite lucky for him as he fully recovered, but while hospitalized, they discovered that he had aggressive lung cancer (he has been a heavy smoker since his teens) and they were able to remove the affected tumors and lymph nodes and he is now cancer free almost two years later. Talk about blind, dumb luck. Had he been vaxxed, he probably would have never been hospitalized and the lung cancer may well have killed him.

Death is certain, life is not.[/QUOTE

By buddy checked in for back surgery. While in testing they discovered a heart problem and he needed a pacemaker badly. So he left with a new pacemaker and is still in severe back pain. He played for decades with a Precision Bass hanging from his neck. I can't imagine that didn't contribute.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    So is he an anti-vaxxer for health beliefs? But he's a long time heavy smoker? Weird.
    Nope, he buys into the right wing conspiracy stuff about the Covid vaccines being dangerous. When I pointed out that Trump got vaccinated, he replied that Trump just said that but did not actually get the jab.

People these days (on both sides of the political aisle) believe some strange stuff.

User Info Menu

Covid’s acute symptoms may not feel terrible to many people, but a recently published VA study indicates that COVID’s long term effects and damage are significantly worse than influenza. You still don’t want this shit, and if you get it, you want to limit the number of times you get it.

joelf Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    But speaking of "luck", an old friend who is a right-wing anti-vaxxer caught Covid and spent two weeks in the hospital on a ventilator. That turned out to be quite lucky for him as he fully recovered...Death is certain, life is not.
    My friend and her husband, mentioned earlier here, both became big-time anti-vaxxers. They're dedicated, practicing Christians, but I couldn't say for sure what their reasoning was.

We mostly communicate by email for the last 10 years. So in a note I gently broached what I feel's a wrongheaded and dangerous belief. Talking it over I couldn't persuade her to see it my way, so I just dropped it. She's a big girl and we're not married or involved so let her do what she wants without judgement from me.

In general unless it affects others, handling of health slides should be one's own call. No one but the person himself knows what he's going through. Maybe when it gets really unbearable to him even death would be preferable.

Trouble is unless they live in a cave a la the Unabomber it's impossible not to affect others.

My music teacher and friend back in Brooklyn, a great and influential man, suffered from epilepsy. At a certain point after many years he couldn't abide the Dilantin side effects any more (his hair and teeth were falling out and he always felt he was in a fog) and stopped taking it. He soon died after a grand mal seizure, leaving a huge hole in a lot of people.

But I understood and even supported his decision. He wanted his brain and sense of normalcy back, and at least for a while got it.

Unless you somehow can magically move into another person's cranium or soul you can't ever get the entire picture. So as long as they are mature, intelligent and not nuts or messed up on substances let them do what they decide to do. And try to understand, if not support them...
    Last edited by joelf; 12-18-2023 at 08:43 AM.

User Info Menu

I hope you will recover entirely and if possible soon. Several people I know have or have had it in the last couple of weeks. The 13 year old next door neighboor girl has the long covid things. Not able to do something any longer than appr 1 hour. After 1 hr she is completely exaustid. Poor thing. That alone really hearts me.. I wish there will come a cure soon. So far it is miles, no, lightyears away. She is loosing the connextion with others of her age rapidly.

User Info Menu

Nope, he buys into the right wing conspiracy stuff about the Covid vaccines being dangerous. When I pointed out that Trump got vaccinated, he replied that Trump just said that but did not actually get the jab.

People these days (on both sides of the political aisle) believe some strange stuff.
    Not dissing Trump I'll vote for him once again if the Biden is the other choice but, Trump received campaign donations from big Pharm in the same numbers as the democratic counterpart.He also stumped heavily for big pharma once the vaccine rolled out. It's simply and sadly one head and 2 arms. Pick your poison.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Not dissing Trump I'll vote for him once again if the Biden is the other choice but, Trump received campaign donations from big Pharm in the same numbers as the democratic counterpart.He also stumped heavily for big pharma once the vaccine rolled out. It's simply and sadly one head and 2 arms. Pick your poison.
    I tend to agree, but as I posted, Paxlovid fixed me up. Big Pharma does make stuff that is useful. Like everything, there is both good and bad. That even applies to Donald Trump.

User Info Menu

I tend to agree, but as I posted, Paxlovid fixed me up. Big Pharma does make stuff that is useful. Like everything, there is both good and bad. That even applies to Donald Trump.
    Of course! There are always some crumbs for the plebs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I think everyone has had it by this point, vaccinated or not.
    Not me. I have participated in the vaccination programs.

Trump didn't need that jab because he took his bleach injection.

User Info Menu

Anti-vax propaganda been around a LONG TIME...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Anti-vax propaganda been around a LONG TIME...

Thanks to all the pro vax propaganda about safe and effective shoved down my throat the past few years I decided to never take a vaccine or visit a doctor again unless I just need some sutures and then I might just get drunk and let the nearest steady hand do the work. The vax is one giant scam that really worked well preying on the fears of the grey haired boomer generation who tossed their christian faith aside in favor of godless secular hedonism and now think via technology you can and will live forever. You won't. Hopefully someone is offended by this post the same way all those supposed lovers of live music offended me by supporting shutting down entertainment and other lines of work that I relied upon to eat. Report the post I could give a shit because truthfully you can't screw me any more than you already did. Thanks for listening!

User Info Menu

Godless, secular, and alive!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    Thanks to all the pro vax propaganda about safe and effective shoved down my throat the past few years I decided to never take a vaccine or visit a doctor again unless I just need some sutures and then I might just get drunk and let the nearest steady hand do the work. The vax is one giant scam that really worked well preying on the fears of the grey haired boomer generation who tossed their christian faith aside in favor of godless secular hedonism and now think via technology you can and will live forever. You won't. Hopefully someone is offended by this post the same way all those supposed lovers of live music offended me by supporting shutting down entertainment and other lines of work that I relied upon to eat. Report the post I could give a shit because truthfully you can't screw me any more than you already did. Thanks for listening!
    People believed in the experimental jab because, why? I still don’t know. Because the government said so, I guess.

Nobody is godless. It’s just a matter of whom or what what they worship.

User Info Menu

Bro, do you even jazz?

User Info Menu

I decided to never take a vaccine or visit a doctor again
    the genepool agrees.

User Info Menu

I hope everyone is in good health and in for happy holidays! I actually know more people that have had covid in the last month or so than i ever did back when the epidemic was in full effect! So it's still very much around, but everyone i hear passes it mildly. Had a recording session yesterday for a new cd, guitarist calls with covid.. reminded me of two years back.

User Info Menu

In the Netherlands monitoring of virus particles in sewage water continues and concentrations are currently about twice what has ever been measured before:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett
    Nobody is godless.
    Speaking for yourself again, I see?

User Info Menu

DB, it is not (and was not) a binary choice. One can be (as I am) vaxxed and also against the lockdowns and mandates. If you want to have any person with a "steady hand" do your sutures and never get any vaccines, that is your choice. I follow the science and my very positive experience with Paxlovid informs me that my choices have been wise. One thing is certain, at 66, I am still here playing live music on a regular basis. I personally knew two guys my age who were unvaxxed, caught Covid and died. I am sure glad that I am not either of them. And I will seek out someone with the requisite training to do my sutures (which I hope I never need). and FWIW, I know plenty of practicing Christians who got vaxxed. Again, not a binary choice.

User Info Menu

Godspeed, Woody.
    Had Covid the first time 'round and although it wasn't the worst thing that happened to me that year, I don't want any part of it again.
    I take every shot my doctor recommends.

User Info Menu

I’ve had all my shots plus, for the first time, a flu shot. And, unless there is a dramatic turnaround in the legitimate science, I will continue to do so.

I did come down with COVID in August 2022. So mild, I might not have noticed. I attribute that to the vaccines.

User Info Menu

I got Covid a few days before Christmas this year along with other family members. I'd describe the symptoms as similar to a cold or flu except I noticed a reduced sense of smell and taste. Not too bad but no fun either. I had the first two shots and a booster, but nothing since.

User Info Menu

Just getting over my 2nd bout of Covid. First one was December 2022; now January 2024. Both times, I caught it from my mother, who's 98 and lives in a subsidized senior apartment complex; both times, she didn't know she had it until after she transmitted it to me. But, being fully vaccinated (6 doses), and taking Paxlovid right away, the symptoms have not been severe or lengthy for either of us. However, it's still a major PITA having to quarantine for a week or more until testing negative. I visit my mother every Sunday, but I'm not going to see her without wearing a mask from now on!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karol
    Just getting over my 2nd bout of Covid. First one was December 2022; now January 2024. Both times, I caught it from my mother, who's 98 and lives in a subsidized senior apartment complex; both times, she didn't know she had it until after she transmitted it to me. But, being fully vaccinated (6 doses), and taking Paxlovid right away, the symptoms have not been severe or lengthy for either of us. However, it's still a major PITA having to quarantine for a week or more until testing negative. I visit my mother every Sunday, but I'm not going to see her without wearing a mask from now on!
    Glad you’re getting over it. I’ve had 5 shots, got the last one 2 weeks ago.

I hate wearing masks though. If I had to wear a mask to go out somewhere, I think I would not go.

So far…no new mask policy at the hospital where I work except for wearing masks for patients who have diagnosed COVID.