The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Closed Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
Posts 226 to 250 of 273

User Info Menu

"You can do whatever you want..but you are still responsible for what you do." -
    - Ornette Coleman

These people yammering about their rights and freedoms never mention their responsibility to others. There is no freedom without responsibility or from responsibility.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BFrench
    I'm 73 fully retired last year, wife is 67 works full time. Neither of us has taken covid vaccination or any boosters. I did have a common cold 4-5 years ago, can't remember last time wife was sick. Both tested negative for covid 3or4 times (work related)... I have Dr's checkup and bloodwork every 6 months. Grocery shop once a week and mostly stay home the rest of the time. I'm not an anti-vaxxer rather than being an anti-covid-vaxxer, apolitical and that's about it. Still on this side of the ground until I'm on the other side of somewhere. Haven't spread covid cause I've never had it to spread, if I did get it I'd stay in and try to wear it off like I do a cold...Just haven't had any reason to panic as long as I stay off the net and news.
    The reason there was a pandemic is that people can spread it before they know they have it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    So should we assume by this statement that you're also in favor of people drinking and driving and people smoking in bars?
    People like that don't favor traffic singles or anything else they believe restricts THEIR freedom (not caring for anyone else's rights or freedom).

What they don't understand is that such laws\restrictions actually increase freedom. The freedom for the majority of people to move around society in a safe manner. But the key here is 'majority of people'. When one is a sociopath what is best for the majority isn't a concern.

User Info Menu

79 and even more retired, with a 78-year-old wife still working (in the classroom), and we dodged Covid until last month, when we got the (presumably) JN.1 variant, which (thanks to our being fully vaxxed and boosted and dosed with Paxlovid) was quite manageable.

Nevertheless, despite the care with which we conducted ourselved over the last three-plus years, we could easily have contracted asymptomatic cases and passed the virus on without having a clue. One would have to test regularly (probably every week or so) to be sure of not harboring the virus.

So absence of evidence (as in the absence of testing) is not evidence of absence. My problem with the nationwide public-health response is that it was a bit timid in the evidence-gathering department. Contact tracing and widespread regular testing would have given us a much better picture of spread and severity beyond the obvious evidence of cases requiring treatment or hospitalization.

For example, had my late brother gotten a test when he felt ill on returning from Jordan, he might not have come to the (almost certainly mistaken) conclusion that he didn't need to get vaccinated because he already had "natural immunity." That mistake (along with his acceptance of the macho-man military-contractor culture he was part of) cost him his life. At least one of his cop friends did listen to him when, having realized his mistake, my brother urged him to get the shot.

This, of course, is an anecdote, not virology or statistical assessment of whole-population behavior, but I suspect that my brother's attitudes and behavior were not unique. I recognize the social, political, logistical, and economic factors that made comprehensive testing and surveying a hard sell. (The history of the responses to the 1918 flu epidemic are eerily similar.) But I would hope that public health officials apply the lessons learned from Covid. And that they find ways of countering the ignorance and childish resistance at large in our public culture, because this is not going to be the last novel virus we encounter.
    Last edited by RLetson; 01-21-2024 at 01:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Miller
    This guy?

The peak of British telly.
    OMFG I did not know some island monkeys were suffering from mad cow disease already in the 80ies!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    So should we assume by this statement that you're also in favor of people drinking and driving and people smoking in bars?
    Smoking in bar is still legal outside city limits if the bar owner wants it, at least, down here. It's a throwback to a better time for live music. You shouldn't drink and drive but unless there is property damage or injury it should just be a night in the drunk tank and paying the cost of that plus a tow for the vehicle. I don't believe in victimless crimes, there has to be injury or damage. It's a grift for local municipalities more than anything.

I skipped jury duty about ten years ago and I need to renew my drivers license. I do stop at red lights and am a careful driver. I might give you covid at a gig but I won't run you over on my way home so I guess in the jazz guitar world I"m batting 50/50.. Look out.

I played in a tiny shoe box tonight cause it was cold. No one had masks. Is that a job hazard? Would it have been better to scream into a beta 58 through an N-95? I guess we just see the world through a vastly different lens. You guys are some serious killjoys man. I'd rather be dead than live like that.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    OMFG I did not know some island monkeys were suffering from mad cow disease already in the 80ies!
    Don’t be so rude about sting

User Info Menu

Don’t be so rude about sting
    Where is that button for blacklisting myself?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    I'd rather be dead than live like that.
    Now that’s interesting. You have every right to feel that way. But you don’t have the right to take me with you when you go.

I love playing the guitar as much as anything and more than almost everything else. I will do whatever I can to be able to play as often as possible for as many years as I have left. I’d rather play with a mask on than not play, because the music sounds and feels so good. I want the musicians with whom I share this feeling to be able to keep playing, and I want the audience to be able to keep coming back.

To me, it’s well worth wearing a mask and getting vaccinated. You can’t play the blues with cold dead hands.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RLetson
    RJVB: I'm not sure which country your remark about "policy . . . dictated by medical doctors" refers to.
    The country where I live of course - France. Maybe "dictate" is too a strong a word officially but in practice the appointed committees of public health safety where MDs from the Macron clan and the government followed their opinions more or less to the letter.

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    The implicit suggestion in your comment is that Sweden let everybody do whatver they wanted - but nothing could be further from the truth. Sweden recommended pretty much everything we did in the US, except that they kept their schools and businesses open. The difference is that over 90% of Swedes complied with it all.
    Keywords: recommended and complied. Even if over 90% of Swedes were sheep (I'm not saying they were!) they still had a choice.

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    To me, it’s well worth wearing a mask and getting vaccinated. You can’t play the blues with cold dead hands.
    No, and you no longer need to either, regardless of what you believe you'd be in a better place... Anyway, yes to vaccination and why not to a "strongly recommended" yearly injection with a concoction comparable to the flu vaccine. Wearing a facemask is a very different proposition even if I'm undoubtedly among the people who don't look better without one The discomfort and impairment of non-verbal communication are important enough to me that I avoided (and will continue to avoid) almost all situations where masks were imposed and wouldn't/won't wear one outside when 1.5m distancing is in any way possible.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Where is that button for blacklisting myself?
    i could do with one of those

User Info Menu

i could do with one of those
    Here you go:
    blacklist me
    (EDIT: the unicon glyphs I found aren't supported by the forum apparently)

You may also want to click this to ignore this thread

User Info Menu

We lost Barry to COVID. Many others.
    I am always wondering if Barry Harris was one of the first COVID spreaders in NYC. He was in Europe for workshops by the end of 2019 and a workshop in Italy could not be finished or had to be canceled because he caught a pneumonia and had to be hospitalized (correct me in the details). As he did not want to die in a foreign country friends of him started a crowdfunding (GoFundMe?) campaign that raised enough money to charter a flying hospital of the US Airforce to bring him back in early 2020 and even cover hospital expenses back in the US. There were theories that Chinese workers in the Italian textile industry had imported the virus to Italy and there were sewage probes proving there must have been cases in Europe already in 2019.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DawgBone
    I guess we just see the world through a vastly different lens. You guys are some serious killjoys man. I'd rather be dead than live like that.
    Cut them some slack DB. They are old and frightened.

Except for those few who have called to have you banned from this forum. They are just intolerant jerks who are unable to match you in a debate. Don't cut them any slack. There are some very good people who participate here, respect the opinions of others with whom they disagree and they add valuable viewpoints to the discussions. And then there are those guys.

User Info Menu

That didn't take long!

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Cut them some slack DB. They are old and frightened.

Except for those few who have called to have you banned from this forum. They are just intolerant jerks who are unable to match you in a debate. Don't cut them any slack. There are some very good people who participate here, respect the opinions of others with whom they disagree and they add valuable viewpoints to the discussions. And then there are those guys.
    "Some posters here seem to have trouble agreeing to disagree. But that should not surprise me considering that this is a place where if you bring up the subject of Gibson guitars, emotions start to run high and rational thought gets quickly discarded.

Over and out for me. Have at it guys. And have fun. "

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    That didn't take long!

Got Covid.-good-men-do-nothing-jpg

User Info Menu

When I can't talk sense, I talk metaphor.
    John Philpot Curran

Got Covid.-good-men-do-nothing-jpg

User Info Menu

I think you guys need to zoom out! Musicians, especially Jazz musicians, are empaths by nature. DB is not a "sociopath", and his detractors are not "intolerant jerks". You're all mature and reasonably intelligent people, but you'll disagree when I suggest most of you appear to have been taken in (without your awareness?) by the way that modern media is designed to trick you into taking a polarised view on a great number of binary issues. Are you for or against covid vs vaccines, Trump vs election fraud, Brexit vs no Brexit, Israel vs Palestine, UFOs vs no UFOs, Johnny Depp vs Amber Heard, etc etc...

We think we're all experts on our chosen stance on all these positions, because we've read the data! LOL, as though
    we've carefully researched all credible, peer reviewed information on both sides of an argument like a good academic should. But we haven't, instead we're spoon fed emotionally charged morsels from our favourite echo chambers that play into expectation bias... but it's curated by the "algorithm", not you! We know it, but we still refuse to divide our time equally between exploring both sides of any debate. OK, maybe one or two of you will make up the tiny minority (in my experience at least) that does make this effort, but if you're not ultimately agnostic on most of these issues, you've probably been seduced into swallowing either one narrative or another, hook, line and sinker.

In the words (I think) of the great Oliver Cromwell "I beseech thee, in the bowels of Christ, pray that thee may be wrong! "
    Fence sitters of the world unite!

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

What is your point Phil? Do you want me to stay out of this thread? I will do so when I want to and I will come back as I like. If that troubles you so much that you feel the need to call me out for it, I would suggest that you might need some help.

User Info Menu

What is your point Phil? Do you want me to stay out of this thread. I will do so when I want to and I will come back as I like. If that troubles you so much that you feel the need to call me out for it, I would suggest that you might need some help.
    I think what he meant is that it appears as though you are flip flopping which you have a right to do of course and he has a right to point it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    I think what he meant is that it appears as though you are flip flopping which you have a right to do of course and he has a right to point it out.
    Fair enough. I think I will leave this thread again. At least until I decide to come back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    Yeah, that shit is perpetrated by certain media (the Fox example in the wiki link is a good one). That's totally different to seeking out a personal balanced view, obviously.

User Info Menu

I don't care what you do. I was just teasing you for saying you were done, then coming back a little later. For you to suggest that I "might need some help" (whatever that means) seems extreme, doesn't it?
    What is your point Phil? Do you want me to stay out of this thread? I will do so when I want to and I will come back as I like. If that troubles you so much that you feel the need to call me out for it, I would suggest that you might need some help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Phil59
    I don't care what you do. I was just teasing you for saying you were done, then coming back a little later. For you to suggest that I "might need some help" (whatever that means) seems extreme, doesn't it?
    Maybe.

I felt "provoked". And I always give as good as I get.

I am not on board with everything Dawgbone has expressed. When I caught Covid, I stayed home for 10 days until I tested negative and I missed some highly paid gigs. It seemed like the right thing to do. He says that he played gigs when he had Covid because he needed the money. In my view, a courteous human being takes reasonable steps to avoid spreading an illness to others. We can all debate what those "reasonable" steps are.

But calling to ban someone from a public forum just because you do not like their views, even if you feel that they have insulted others is, IMO, wrongheaded. I felt the need to speak up about that.