The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 15 of 15

User Info Menu

I'm not one for setting goals per SE but it might be fun to set a few for 2024.

Currently my goals would be;

1. Write more original material - as it's always fun and I love being creative

2. Play a 2 hour solo (purely) jazz guitar gig - I play a few light jazz tunes in my gigs Misty, Autumn Leaves etc but it would be cool to do a full 2 hour gig at a market or restaurant etc.

I'm planning on playing out again next year, more than before, so it'll be a good practise round before a full jazz gig in late summer/early autumn.

The only thing that could stop me are my hands so I'll keep on doing my hand exercises.

What would be some musical goals of yours for 2024?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Last year my goal was to gig once. I ended up taking over a jazz jam and got about 10 gigs out of that. The venue is closing and I'm learning how hard it is to get something like this running.

I have a goal for one gig month now. We have 2 regular gigs in January, not jam nights, but nothing after that.

Advice for everyone in 2024.

Get out of the bedroom, if you can get through a tune with a RB chart you should be going to jazz jams. A good bandleader should be happy beginner talent is showing up and welcome you into the fold. You can get very good advice, and more importantly stage experience, you'll fall on your face musically, but you will also learn what to practice. You can't run before you can walk and you can't walk without falling down a few times.

User Info Menu

I'd like to finally record a series of lullabies I wrote for my children when they were newborns...they toe the line between "light classical" and Brazilian tinged jazz/bossa.

User Info Menu

My goal is to be able to practice more at my place. I find it easy to get out of that 'woodshed' mentality since I associate my home with relaxing or sleeping time. Maybe I should take off the bed sheets or something... make it annoying for myself for attempting to go back to sleep (as I tend to oversleep a lot generally speaking)

User Info Menu

My only goal is to make it through the year alive.

User Info Menu

My goal is to start making sense with the solos.

User Info Menu

Of course I'd always like to play better...

A bassist friend and I are working with a singer, and I hope to have quite a few gigs set up for next year. Looks like the end of March is the first one, but always on the lookout for a place that will let us play at least monthly. (COVID really screwed things up in that regard.)

User Info Menu

- to start my own business finally. I have that dream for many years now and these days i am very close to it actually
    - lose 8 pounds and gain some muscles - going to download one of these apps https://www.hellomagazine.com/healthandbeauty/he?lth-and-fitness/506854/betterme-review-fitness-app/, let see how it works.
    - improve my Spanish to the B1 lever at least. Will do some courses , starting February.
    Last edited by benhatchins; 12-27-2023 at 06:16 PM.

User Info Menu

Now I'm at a time in my life that it's hard to find time to practice. Therefore, the minimum goal is not to abandon the guitar. The maximum is to rehearse a program (1.5-2 hours) of jazz standards (solo) and fingerstyle melodies and find a club or cafe where I could play 2-4 times a month.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kmatuhin
    Now I'm at a time in my life that it's hard to find time to practice. Therefore, the minimum goal is not to abandon the guitar. The maximum is to rehearse a program (1.5-2 hours) of jazz standards (solo) and fingerstyle melodies and find a club or cafe where I could play 2-4 times a month.
    It looks like that we have similar goals. I already can do the 2 hour solo fingerstyle gig but now I want to do it with just jazz tunes ( maybe in time for the local jazz festival that happens here in October).

User Info Menu

I’ll confine this to jazz guitar goals.

1. Improve my reading. How? 15-20 min/day of Levitt.

2. I recently experienced a minor breakthrough when I started following a Carole Kaye chordal approach rather than practicing chord scales. So, continue and build on that by working on the tunes she listed on her Standards I and II discs.

3. Last summer I signed up for a summer jazz workshop. I got more out of it than I expected and it turned out I was a bit more capable than I thought. So, I’ve signed up for a weekly jazz workshop from Jan - March.

User Info Menu

My goal is to get my reading to a level that I can get the Christmas Real Book and do some holiday gigs next season. My plan is to finish Mel Bay Book 1, then start Rhythms Complete by Bugs Bower. Then I'll get back to reading RB charts. Until then, I'll continue to learn heads by ear.

User Info Menu

Write more stuff. Relax. Repeat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    My only goal is to make it through the year alive.
    Yep, I will turn 67 in 2024. My only goal at present for 2024 is to make it to 2025. At this point, every day is a gift and every year is a victory.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Yep, I will turn 67 in 2024.
    You're way behind. I'll turn 77 in 2024. I'm hoping for at least 20 more, but I accept that the chances are not great. For now, every night's a Saturday night and every day's a Sunday.