The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

........Shipping CONUS.....I found this company -

Search results for: 'chowder'

Or, who else / who is the go-to company for seafood products ? ( I mean, when ya gotta have chow-dah, ya gotta have chowdah, right ? : ) )

Thanks

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

If you really want to try a seriously great seafood soup, give Bookbinder's Snapper Soup a try. This is a grand old Philadelphia tradition created by the Bookbinder family when they opened their restaurant here in 1865. The traditional way to eat it is with a dash of sherry in it - I like dry, but you can choose your own. My father taught me to put Tabasco in it, but it's fantastic with nothing or with your favorite hot sauce.

Sadly, the Bookbinder family are long gone and their successors have closed the restaurant (to which we used to go often, as did my father when he was a boy). It's seriously thick, rich, and amazingly delicious. You can find it in a million places on the web.

User Info Menu

their cocktail sauce was great too, you can still find it in supermarkets though I think I might like Kelchners even more.
    I buy the Bookies or Kelchners cocktail sauce and a seperate jar of Kelchners horseradish and mix them to get a really nice 'bite'
    nshsi, remember the oyster crackers on the table?
    we used to slather horseradish on them waiting for the apps and mains to arrive

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    nshsi, remember the oyster crackers on the table? we used to slather horseradish on them waiting for the apps and mains to arrive
    Oh, man - you hit a sore spot! Those OTC Oyster Crackers suddenly disappeared from the scene years ago and were replaced by wimpy little puffs of tasteless, characterless dough. I was born and raised in Atlantic City, so I was weaned on OTC crackers. Every time my wife and I go to one of the many places that used to have them and we're given the tiny bags of those cheap and tacky substitutes, we complain. It ain't done us no good.....

For those of you unfortunate enough not to know what we're talking about, "OTC Trenton Crackers" are unique, crisp, delicious crackers that were invented in 1847 to go with seafood, specifically oysters. Restaurants and bars used to put out large bowls and goblets filled with them, along with containers of grated white horseradish and red cocktail sauce. We ate them with our drinks. We stuffed ourselves with them while waiting for our food to arrive. We ate them with raw clams and oysters. We stuffed ourselves with them along with our soup and salad. Then we ate them between the main course and dessert. There's nothing like them, and they're GONE!!! They're victims of the economy and have been replaced with cheap and inferior substitutes. I think they're still made, but I haven't seen them in a restaurant in years.

Suggestions pls. For Best Seafood  / Chowder etc For Holiday Gifts-oyster_crackers-jpg

These were a musician's dream - delicious, portable, free, and not even too bad for you. I miss these more than I do almost anything else that's passed through my life.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    For those of you unfortunate enough not to know what we're talking about
    On the contrary, sounds like we're fortunate enough to be blissfully unaware

I thought I'd find you a video of someone walking us through his reverse-engineered recipe but no luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    On the contrary, sounds like we're fortunate enough to be blissfully unaware
    Not at all - 'tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nevershouldhavesoldit
    Not at all - 'tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.
    I doubt that, but where would the song industry be without that