The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

need to go to guitar store for a cable..good chance to play a confidence builder.and see if i can get a few comments...no not a G blues scale..been there..Ive moved on..It will be Salute to Charlie Christian..by Barney Kessel..and Wes...Nicas Dream...any nerves..None..ill take the Nicas Dream transcription sheet music just in case..

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

'Salute to Charlie Christian' by Barney Kessel - great tune!

User Info Menu

Reminds me of the time I went to a local music shop in my lunch break to try out an amp. The only jazz guitar they had was something like an Epiphone Joe Pass (as I recall), so I used that and played some quiet chord-melody stuff and a bit of bebop for half an hour.

Afterwards the owner of the shop said how nice it was to hear something melodic for a change, instead of the usual teenage metal shredding!

all the good guitars in the store were hanging 15 feet in the air...well is was South Croydon nuff said..i was passed a chinese plank of wood..wouldnt tune up...

User Info Menu

Every time I go into a guitar shop for a cable, I end up leaving with a guitar.

True story—I went in looking for a Tremolo pedal, and the guy asked me to grab a guitar from the wall to try it out. I grabbed a Gretsch guitar I had never seen or played before. As soon as I plugged it in and played it, I knew I had to have it.

Guitar Shop Decision-img_6233-jpg

I think guitar store guys are trained to say something like, “All the Things You Are—you’re really good at that!”

For electric guitars, I usually start out with the introduction to Stairway to Heaven, to throw them off their game.

For classical guitars, Classical Gas is my go-to. It was one of the first songs I learned by memory, and I thought it would really impress the ladies. Not sure if that worked out, but it is still a crowd-pleaser.

User Info Menu

^^I went into the same guitar store (Dietze) for some Tele hardware today and DID NOT buy a guitar.

But on the wall was a sweet Godin Kingpin 2 in mint condition (used) for $650. It it’s on consignment, might be able to get it for less.

The want is strong. I have never had the 2-pickup Kingpin, though I had a 1- and 0-pickup 5th Avenue.

But I resisted. I don’t even have enough room for another guitar…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff;[URL="tel:1299247"
    1299247[/URL]]Every time I go into a guitar shop for a cable, I end up leaving with a guitar.

True story—I went in looking for a Tremolo pedal, and the guy asked me to grab a guitar from the wall to try it out. I grabbed a Gretsch guitar I had never seen or played before. As soon as I plugged it in and played it, I knew I had to have it.

Guitar Shop Decision-img_6233-jpg

Can one do straight ahead jazz on
    that kinda guitar ?
    I fancy one of those in orange

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    that kinda guitar ?
    Bucky Pizzarelli
    George Van eps
    Rune Gustafson
    Cal Collins

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by grahambop
    Reminds me of the time I went to a local music shop in my lunch break to try out an amp. The only jazz guitar they had was something like an Epiphone Joe Pass (as I recall), so I used that and played some quiet chord-melody stuff and a bit of bebop for half an hour.

Afterwards the owner of the shop said how nice it was to hear something melodic for a change, instead of the usual teenage metal shredding!
    Reminds me of a trip to memphis. i travelled alot for business for years and would unabashedly use guitar stores to get some practice in so i didn't have to fly with a travel guitar. Rod + Hank ran a vintage store in same bldg as the Memphis Blues HOF ( i think) Both Rod + Hank had worked for George Gruhn back in the day. I tried a Gretsch 6120 i think, plugged in to a warm Fender twin i think. After a few moments, the woman who worked the desk for the museum walked over + said "Thank you for playing a SONG!"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    that kinda guitar ?
    With the tone switch and the volume controls you can dial in whatever tone you want, from warm and mellow to sharp and growly.

Mine has the Hi-Lo-Tron pickups. Not sure how the Filtertrons would compare, but I am fan of the switches and knobs.