The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Has anyone here worked through this book?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I had it - different cover, but I think the same title - but gave it to the local charity shop. Very disappointing. But I'm not 100% sure it was the same book I had by him, other than the usual two.

He also has one devoted to acoustic finger style blues guitar, which is titled, “many shades of the blues.” That one has a corresponding audio that can be found on YouTube, which sounds pretty interesting.

User Info Menu

Good book, according to Pete Rogine Baker stole it verbatim from Rector Bailey. Still a good foundational study.

User Info Menu

Rickco, that is not proof. I don't want to defend him if he is guilty, I'm just looking for proof. I wonder if you are referring to a different book, his Complete Course in Jazz Guitar Volume 1?

Not unrelated is his dedication at the start of his Volume 2: "To Rector Bailey - A Great Friend and Teacher."

User Info Menu

Im with you, could be 1st book...doesnt make him less of a thief. I was clear I am quoting Pete Rogine (from his instructional videos) whos credibility is pretty well estabiished.
    Either way theyre good books.

User Info Menu

No, saying “doesnt make him less of a thief” is not proof, no matter what anyone else says. He might well have been an habitual thief, but is not here to give his side of the story. Without proof, we can’t say for sure.

User Info Menu

Agreed

Ever since reading about Rector Bailey, I’ve always assumed that Mickey Baker more or less nicked the lessons and published them himself. Which, of course, is only my assumption, and not proof.

I would point to the circumstantial evidence that I don’t hear, in Mickey’s own recordings, or in the two or three instruction books that he later authored himself, any of the jazz material found in the famous book.

I’m very grateful, in any case, for the existence of the Mickey Baker jazz book, a rose by any name.

User Info Menu

My unresearched understanding is that MB was a student of RB, and might have used his teacher’s handouts in his first book. If that’s true, then he either did it with or without permission of RB. I don’t have the evidence one way or the other. Therefore I don’t have an opinion. We live in an age where evidence is not often even looked for.

As for his dedication to RB in his Volume 2, that could have been because RB went nuts at him for using his handouts, but there’s no evidence for that which has come my way.

I agree that the second book is nothing like the first or third, but that again is not proof, and I’m not even sure it would be admitted in a court of law as circumstantial evidence.

Honestly, I’m not a fan of his playing, and know very little about the man, I am just very careful these days about accepting public opinion as absolute non-negotiable fact.

Meanwhile, I continue to use the books in my teaching. But not the book which was meant be the subject of this thread

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Garrett

I would point to the circumstantial evidence that I don’t hear, in Mickey’s own recordings...any of the jazz material found in the famous book.
    I was always puzzled about that. I sought out a couple of albums he recorded and was very disappointed. Does anyone know of a good recording? I'm glad the books exist nonetheless.

User Info Menu

I always thought it was a few things, he had that hit with Sylvia and chased that. Leaving jazz behind for R&B. Having that hit probably also typecast him as not a jazz player, so the jazz labels weren’t interested in convincing people he was jazz with marketing, so the opportunity never came for a Mickey Baker jazz combo album.

Back then you didn’t just pop into a studio and record a vanity project.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    My unresearched understanding is that MB was a student of RB, and might have used his teacher’s handouts in his first book. If that’s true, then he either did it with or without permission of RB. I don’t have the evidence one way or the other. Therefore I don’t have an opinion. We live in an age where evidence is not often even looked for.

As for his dedication to RB in his Volume 2, that could have been because RB went nuts at him for using his handouts, but there’s no evidence for that which has come my way.

I agree that the second book is nothing like the first or third, but that again is not proof, and I’m not even sure it would be admitted in a court of law as circumstantial evidence.

Honestly, I’m not a fan of his playing, and know very little about the man, I am just very careful these days about accepting public opinion as absolute non-negotiable fact.

Meanwhile, I continue to use the books in my teaching. But not the book which was meant be the subject of this thread
    I was quoting Pete Rogine not "public opinion" He was there, knew Rector and Mickey and still has his notes from Rector. Im sure he would be very careful when making a statement like that, that it was fact. Im originally from his burg around the same age and still know a few of the old players, when I read that to one of them recently his reaction was " everyone knew, who gives a shit" (direct quote). Rector died young so he surely didnt. Pete said when Duke Ellington was asked who to study guitar with he would say go see Rector Baily. And yes I think he was talking about the first book, not the book the OP was asking about. My bad

User Info Menu

OK. I wasn’t there. I give way.

User Info Menu

P.S. Rob, big fan of your playing...if I was in your territory Id ask for a lesson

User Info Menu

Rick, I'd be scared you'd bring out a book with all my handouts

Quote Originally Posted by Irishmuso
    I was always puzzled about that. I sought out a couple of albums he recorded and was very disappointed. Does anyone know of a good recording? I'm glad the books exist nonetheless.
    I do happen to enjoy his playing, but it is much more of a rhythm and blues type thing and not at all related to the material in the first jazz book.

He has an album called “blues and jazz guitar” which is mostly acoustic, which I wouldn’t call distinguished. I just happen to like acoustic blues stuff.

I went ahead and bought the book in the OP because I found a cheap one. All the 10 songs in the book are designed to be played as duets. Which I didn’t know.

I’m not sure if I’m going to dig into it yet or return to the Bailey/Baker book.

Sample page:

User Info Menu

Ah, that’s not the book I saw and sold soon after, which now remains a mystery book!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacKillop
    Ah, that’s not the book I saw and sold soon after, which now remains a mystery book!
    That’s good news. If you thought the book was rubbish, I’d likely set it aside for now.

Still might be rubbish of course….

User Info Menu

Talking of lesser-know Mickey Baker books, anyone seen this?

Mickey Baker's Jazz & Rhythm'n Blues Guitar -Instruction Book-img_0114-jpeg

It’s on Amazon Uk right now., but when I tried to buy it, I told it was on the Amazon US site. I don’t want to pay extra shipping for it. Probably very basic, but if you’re into MB, it might be a nice acquisition.

^ That’s yet another Mickey Baker thing that’s new to me. I’m beginning to think there may be even more out there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk