The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Posts 51 to 53 of 53

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

So anybody who uses one--and plays up the neck...how do you think about things? Is there a spot where you transition? Or is it best always to think actual pitches?
    I used to use one. But not for jazz.

Answer: Practice. Do it so knowing where to go is familiar. No short cuts.

It's about positions, not notes. Playing Em with capo 2 I'm not thinking F#m, I'm thinking 'That's where the Em is'.

I think thinking in terms of the names of chords and notes would just be too confusing.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

I showed up last night for the rehearsal for this Sunday's mass. Turns out one of the cantors has a guitar she strums at times. She must be about 18 years old. Taught herself to play based on videos from internet. Ended up she looked at everything backwards. Not only does she play lefthanded, but she also strings the guitar up right-handed, and she does have the trusty capo. I tell you right now I just do not look at the setup it is truly confusing.

Her only comment to me about playing was that she noticed I seemed to up the melody notes right on top, and it stood out as I played. She told me to do that during the responsory hymn because it keeps her right on the note. I explained normally I stay away from that for reason hard to understand but she wanted it so that is how we are doing the responsory.

We have to be careful about approaches. Standard guitarist in conversation with a young learning guitarist........."So, you playing single lines only with a thumb?" Yes, it is the way I learned, and I like the sound better. "Seems like you are making more work for yourself and could have more efficient approach with a pick." By the way how long have you been playing and what is your name? " I started playing about 8 months ago copy solos off records and my name is Wes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont

So anybody who uses one--and plays up the neck...how do you think about things? Is there a spot where you transition? Or is it best always to think actual pitches?
    I think in patterns. I think of the capo as the beginning of a short fretboard. I tune in fourths, which simplifies moving around the fretboard.