The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 92

User Info Menu

Hey.

Lately I have been trolling about jazz a lot. I think 3-4 topics here.

Pop has always a solid secure path because it is not a path. It is just a current in an endless ocean. There's never gonna be a problem with that.

Thing is, I love jazz as it was but not much how it gets presented nowadays. It is almost gone. Can't let that happen. What to do?

Develop it how?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It hasn't gone, it's evolved to something you don't recognise. Or something you don't want to recognise. So, for you it's gone. But actually it's just a current in an endless ocean...

Like these posts :-)

Redefine jazz: play any tune, go bananas the next round. oh.

... trolling there.

How to keep this nice thing going - good harmony that speaks by itself, you do good things with it - it is jazz.
    keep it swinging - might not be the way to go perhaps?

I truly am worried that nothing has come to replace jazz at all and it has been almost... the best part of music history is about to be shooshed

User Info Menu

I dunno, but of all the AccuRadio genres on offer, I keep coming back to World Fusion, and get regularly surprised and inspired. The possibilities seem endless, and for a long time to come.

User Info Menu

in 300 years jazz will likely be described as 20th Century Improvisational Music.

21st Century Improvisational Music may be called something else.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Kingstone
    in 300 years jazz will likely be described as 20th Century Improvisational Music.

21st Century Improvisational Music may be called something else.
    That "20th Century Improvisational Music" was a good shot.
    21th should be better but is it?

A constant flow of new beautiful tunes that provide harmony that itself is a thing to listen to and for people to toy with - nope.

User Info Menu

Instagram and YouTube

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    That "20th Century Improvisational Music" was a good shot.
    21th should be better but is it?
    Why should it be better?

User Info Menu

Kids these days.

User Info Menu

AI will figure something out, so no need to worry.

Quote Originally Posted by digger
    I know you meant it as a joke but been thinking that finding people with the exact taste for exact thing would be the best job for AI.

Like currently finding good music is just so bloody generic. Driven by who knows what.. popularity and tags. Tuned for mass clicks. Dunno.
    AI could do that job so much better and all the smaller genres would win hugely with this.

User Info Menu

The party's over, but don't despair, there is half a century's worth to endlessly revisit should you be inclined (and nothing wrong with that ).

So when was Jazz's "Belle Epoch"? , 20's? 30'? 40's? 50's? 60's? or was it the 70's? Not many will argue it was the 80's or later.

So where will Jazz be in the next X years? Right back where it always was, in the middle of last century! The music that "evolved" from it will probably continue (we hope), and may even one day create a new Golden Era. Just don't count on it happening in your lifetime.

User Info Menu

Jazz is alive and well, to some degree stagnant in the U.S. But in Europe and the "latin" countries jazz is still doing what jazz does...exploring new possibilitys. Our big band gigs used to sell out, now its mostly old folks and hard to keep 20pcs busy in small markets with marginal ticket income. However I ve heard several touring jazz combos in the last few months that played great and showed the new face of jazz. Dont despair...explore.

The "explore" actually means it's "not there yet".
    Of course, people will come up with new clever stuff in the spirit of jazz.
    But there is no clear solid source anymore.

User Info Menu

The "explore" actually means it's "not there yet".
    Of course, people will come up with new clever stuff in the spirit of jazz.
    But there is no clear solid source anymore.
    Explore means "looking further " Jazz is ever evolving, Louis Armstrong could never have anticipated BeBop but was instrumental (so to speak) in its development. The Cubans (and others) are still pushing the form even farther then Blakey could have imagined and would have loved how its progressed. There was never a "solid source" or definition other than (improvisational) music mainly based on established forms. Theres an endless variety of styles that fit in the "jazz" genre. Cats like Charlie Hunter and Frisell and a bunch more are not sitting around playing "Misty" theyre moving forward in ways the guys they admired would very much approve of.
    THERE, see what happens when you wake an old fart up from his nap...!

How to make a jazz tune sound "epic"?
    Autumn leaves - how to make it epic?

A genre needs epic crap to live through these money-times.

---
    It is a constant troubled person's troll post, don't be offended.

User Info Menu

Hey.

Lately I have been trolling about jazz a lot. I think 3-4 topics here.

Pop has always a solid secure path because it is not a path. It is just a current in an endless ocean. There's never gonna be a problem with that.

Thing is, I love jazz as it was but not much how it gets presented nowadays. It is almost gone. Can't let that happen. What to do?

Develop it how?
    Why is Pop any different than Jazz, or any other genre? It's all folk music subject to changes in technology, cultural trends, new artists, etc.

Are you looking to preserve Jazz in a bottle according to your own preferences and values?

Tradition itself needs to be replenished by innovation and new perspectives.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by digger
    AI can't even figure out how to correct my sloppy text messages...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rictroll
    Why is Pop any different than Jazz, or any other genre?

Pop is not a genre. It is a market. The music can take many forms, adopt many genres. A pop act can play in several genres on one album. What makes music pop is its widespread promotion.

User Info Menu

I love jazz as it was but not much how it gets presented nowadays. It is almost gone. Can't let that happen. What to do? Develop it how?
    Jazz isn't almost gone, it's just not popular music any more. There's no precedent that music has to be popular or it's going to die. It's the same situation that it's been in for the past 50+ years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith
    Jazz isn't almost gone, it's just not popular music any more. There's no precedent that music has to be popular or it's going to die. It's the same situation that it's been in for the past 50+ years.
    Not only is it not "almost gone", but it creeps back into popular music here and there recently.
    One of the most important hiphop records of the last decade, Kendrick Lamar's "How to pimp a Buttertfly" is full of jazz, played by actual musicians in an actual studio. Sophie Tukker's stick seems to be to sample bossa nova in an EDM environment.
    And then there is the phenomenon of Laufey, which is its own Tiktok-age thing entirely. Adam Neely did a pretty solid deep dive which I think might be really interesting for someone that is not Gen-Z and worried about the state of Jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Smith

But during that time, jazz has changed. Jazz is always changing. That is its nature. If it had ossified in one style, it would no longer be jazz.

The older styles of jazz are maintained by enthusiasts, so there is something for everyone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick

Pop is not a genre. It is a market. The music can take many forms, adopt many genres. A pop act can play in several genres on one album. What makes music pop is its widespread promotion.
    OK, I get that. I’m not too comfortable with labels and tagging genres anyway. What is jazz anyway? Likely to get many different answers to that, as we know. And jazz is also a market (perhaps more of an old strip mall with vacancies at this point).

However, it’s not easy for me to make a distinction between jazz and other forms. Jazz musicians - or jazz acts -certainly do the same thing the ‘pop acts’ above do in terms of borrowing and mixing influences. Queue up Stan Getz and the boss a nova…

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Schwoop
    Not only is it not "almost gone", but it creeps back into popular music here and there recently.
    One of the most important hiphop records of the last decade, Kendrick Lamar's "How to pimp a Buttertfly" is full of jazz, played by actual musicians in an actual studio. Sophie Tukker's stick seems to be to sample bossa nova in an EDM environment.
    And then there is the phenomenon of Laufey, which is its own Tiktok-age thing entirely. Adam Neely did a pretty solid deep dive which I think might be really interesting for someone that is not Gen-Z and worried about the state of Jazz.

Your post reminded me of French singer Zaz, whose music is in heavy rotation on the second (= cultural/political) program of Bavarian public radio. Some of the songs have a strong manouche influence.