Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 51 to 75 of 92

User Info Menu

Goldie’s PMG remix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Here is another French/American collaboration, Fievel is Glaque.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Re: Polyphia

It's one of those things that I can appreciate because I know the skill level involve in getting something that tight...It's just also the kind of music that I'm really not into.

A lot of the kids today seem to like music that's really "tight." Vulfpeck comes to mind too...

I like stuff that sounds like it's going to run off the rails a bit.

I find the Knower and Domi/JD Beck stuff more entertaining...Domi in particular sounds like she's taking some chances.
    I think you’ve put your finger on it. Tight is the aesthetic from prog metal to faux-funk/soul.

It’s a natural consequence of putting music together on DAW’s I think. ‘Live feel’ is cultivated more from playing with the same musicians for years and learning to push/pull and breathe together. There can be surprisingly big fluctuations in tempo in what seems like a solid groove. Anyway Beato etc have opined on the matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    This is more fun than Snarky Puppy.
    Fantastic. Bookmarked.

User Info Menu

Never listened to drum and bass so maybe it’s an influence but so is Hip Hop and 70s fusion

interesting observations here

User Info Menu

On tight vs. loose, this has a much more organic feel to it...this is how I like my modern jazz.

User Info Menu

Or this...

User Info Menu

Or...

User Info Menu

Oh hell, another one:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by emanresu
    This is more fun than Snarky Puppy.
    These Jazz schooled guys have a ton of excellent stuff out there, so don't be too put off by some of their wacky shit (like this example). Probably the hippest musical act on earth right now, but you gotta dig deep to get it. Oh, you gotta be cool too, because these kids are not only probably a lot smarter than you, but way cooler....

(serious)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    Oh, you gotta be cool too, because these kids are not only probably a lot smarter than you, but way cooler....

(serious)
    There's a little element of "inside jokiness" that puts me off to some of this stuff. Like you have to be cool to get it. That stuff irritates me, but it problem comes from having middle schoolers around the house, who thrive on meme humor and think the word "Ohio" is funny.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princeplanet
    These Jazz schooled guys have a ton of excellent stuff out there, so don't be too put off by some of their wacky shit (like this example). Probably the hippest musical act on earth right now, but you gotta dig deep to get it. Oh, you gotta be cool too, because these kids are not only probably a lot smarter than you, but way cooler....

(serious)

Dude... that's a bunch of nerds in that video.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AllanAllen
    Dude... that's a bunch of nerds in that video.
    Cool looks a lot different than when we were kids.Where will jazz be in x years.-download-8-jpg

User Info Menu

Cool looks a lot different than when we were kids.Where will jazz be in x years.-download-8-jpg

User Info Menu

That Simpsons bit is the best. It's funny and SO true.

User Info Menu

And, I've been around long enough to go from Homer to Abraham.

User Info Menu

"Drum & bass" music comes from "jungle" which comes from reggae. The drum beats of jungle music were sampled drum breaks from e.g. James Brown records that were not played back at approximately the original tempo but at 160 to 180 beats per minute (dub reggae tempo double-timed) and often cut up and sliced."
    Yeah really improved the JB sound and Im sure Maceo would learn a lot listening to this... Im an old fart so I can say this NO real funk or soul band from the day used "digital or mechanical " or click tracks or loops. Im not hearing anything that Id want to hear again. And Im sorry but if you need to play to a rhythmical loop mabey you should listen to the real music when you had to have a great inner clock as well as good pitch and harmonic sensibility. From my admittedly jaded point of view "music" derived from computer has been gutted of its musicality. I played rhythm for 40 yrs studio and performance for more than 25 of those years, The leader would say "where do you want it" someone would tap out the time theyd, look at me or whoever started the head and say "ok bring us in" my point is I look forward to and enjoy new explorations in pop or jazz but once its looped and driven by digital time all the "musicality" is sucked out of it. Music started at the dawn of man with rhythm "beating on something or clapping and singing" Its funny but most of the latin american players Ive played with would respond to ,these comments with "no shit"
    Well, I hope this didnt come off as a flame but whats jazz and what isnt and where will it be for me would have to be unencumbered by modern crutches and go back to its Improvisational form which included a rhythm section that could hang without a metronomic device.
    I might add that I grew up in a classical music household and my father would have had a similar reaction ( but much more character assaulting) hearing "Louie Louie" for the first time and being told that was music.
    I really enjoy the threads on this, site points of view from all over the compass
    When I asked my jazz mentor why he didnt listen to pop music he simply answered (in his Jersey accent) "it dont move me...)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco
    "Drum & bass" music comes from "jungle" which comes from reggae. The drum beats of jungle music were sampled drum breaks from e.g. James Brown records that were not played back at approximately the original tempo but at 160 to 180 beats per minute (dub reggae tempo double-timed) and often cut up and sliced."
    Yeah really improved the JB sound and Im sure Maceo would learn a lot listening to this... Im an old fart so I can say this NO real funk or soul band from the day used "digital or mechanical " or click tracks or loops. Im not hearing anything that Id want to hear again. And Im sorry but if you need to play to a rhythmical loop mabey you should listen to the real music when you had to have a great inner clock as well as good pitch and harmonic sensibility. From my admittedly jaded point of view "music" derived from computer has been gutted of its musicality. I played rhythm for 40 yrs studio and performance for more than 25 of those years, The leader would say "where do you want it" someone would tap out the time theyd, look at me or whoever started the head and say "ok bring us in" my point is I look forward to and enjoy new explorations in pop or jazz but once its looped and driven by digital time all the "musicality" is sucked out of it. Music started at the dawn of man with rhythm "beating on something or clapping and singing" Its funny but most of the latin american players Ive played with would respond to ,these comments with "no shit"
    Well, I hope this didnt come off as a flame but whats jazz and what isnt and where will it be for me would have to be unencumbered by modern crutches and go back to its Improvisational form which included a rhythm section that could hang without a metronomic device.
    I might add that I grew up in a classical music household and my father would have had a similar reaction ( but much more character assaulting) hearing "Louie Louie" for the first time and being told that was music.
    I really enjoy the threads on this, site points of view from all over the compass
    When I asked my jazz mentor why he didnt listen to pop music he simply answered (in his Jersey accent) "it dont move me...)
    Speaking of computers, first of all it would be great if people took the little effort to learn to use the quoting function of this forum so everyone knew what an answer relates to and could easily follow the course of the conversation. It is as easy as clicking on "reply with quote" on the bottom right of a post, my post

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    [...]
    in this case. Now someone can click on the little arrow symbol next to my user name and jump to my post.

Which was a reaction to the video of Domi and JD Beck. I stress the fact that what they do is nothing new but [blah, blah see my post above].

I went to clubs to shake my booty to electronically produced music and liked it (hip-hop, jungle, drum&bass, trip-hop, techno, house, ambient etc., the last time after a long while was last New Year's Eve), I toured as a lighting tech with German hip-hop acts, I have mixed and mastered electronica (I recently found out I have my own discogs page for that LOL), I even played guitar on a Funkstörung album (unrecognizably electronically alienized as was to be expected).

On the other hand I played in the 10-piece live band I mentioned above (you can find Les Babacools on YouTube and Spotify) that caused Maceo Parker to listen to our full show from backstage when we were supporting him locally.

For me music of all kinds have their value. Every kind of music expresses a kind of human emotion. Remember Stevie Wonder singing "songs in the key of life"? Litterick mentioned the aggressiveness of jungle and drum&bass. It is the anger of working class kids in London. Sometimes I am angry, too. I know that emotion. So I can relate to that. Same with punk or heavy metal. I do not listen to those styles often nowadays. But I know why they moved me when I was younger. Their roughness appealed to me in a similar way the roughness of raw African-American blues, rural or urban, appealed to me.

Regarding electronic beats: Sly Stone, George Clinton and Prince used drum machines and mixed them with live instruments. Jeff Beck recorded the electronica-influenced "Who Else!" after having recorded his tribute "Crazy Legs" to Gene Vincent with a rockabilly live band. The list could go on and on.

And the wide-spread thinking that a good hip-hop or electronica track is easily produced at the click of a button comes from people who never tried it themselves (you did not claim that but I find it important to mention). Sampling can really be an art form. The way you are writing shows that you never listened to complex productions like those of e.g. DJ Shadow or the Dust Brothers (e.g. "Paul's Boutique", the second Beasty Boys album), complex collages of many "tessera". Or complex techno or house or ambient productions like those of Ritchie Hawtin or Aphex Twin.

You do not have to like everything. I do not like everything. Absolutely not. I come from a strictly classical household as well. My parents hate(d) rhythmical pop music*). But I have to admit that some music at least moves the lower parts of my body. If I allow them to be moved.

*) At least my mother admits having liked "Yesterday" (she was 28 years old in 1965).

EDIT: Now off to the weekly blues session for some strictly live music.
    Last edited by Bop Head; 02-08-2024 at 04:30 PM.

User Info Menu

I fully confess, Im out of my depth because my reaction to music has been always fundamentally starting from a rhythm perspective. Im not criticizing genres or styles But Im from a time when you did "the dreaded metronome drills" till you were silly but it was for developing your inner clock. For me the best version of any music relies on that human time that cant be reproduced. For my era great big bands (for instance) swung off the drummer who connected with the lead trumpet and the bass and everyone else also got sucked up into that organic rhythm machine. Ive applied that concept in all music Ive played and my choices for listening. So ,yeah its a generational thing and is fundamental to something that would be jazzy for me regardless of style. Pretty sure Blakey wouldnt dig it either

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bop Head
    Speaking of computers, first of all it would be great if people took the little effort to learn to use the quoting function of this forum so everyone knew what an answer relates to and could easily follow the course of the conversation. It is as easy as clicking on "reply with quote" on the bottom right of a post, my post

in this case. Now someone can click on the little arrow symbol next to my user name and jump to my post.

Which was a reaction to the video of Domi and JD Beck. I stress the fact that what they do is nothing new but [blah, blah see my post above].

I went to clubs to shake my booty to electronically produced music and liked it (hip-hop, jungle, drum&bass, trip-hop, techno, house, ambient etc., the last time after a long while was last New Year's Eve), I toured as a lighting tech with German hip-hop acts, I have mixed and mastered electronica (I recently found out I have my own discogs page for that LOL), I even played guitar on a Funkstörung album (unrecognizably electronically alienized as was to be expected).

On the other hand I played in the 10-piece live band I mentioned above (you can find Les Babacools on YouTube and Spotify) that caused Maceo Parker to listen to our full show from backstage when we were supporting him locally.

For me music of all kinds have their value. Every kind of music expresses a kind of human emotion. Remember Stevie Wonder singing "songs in the key of life"? Litterick mentioned the aggressiveness of jungle and drum&bass. It is the anger of working class kids in London. Sometimes I am angry, too. I know that emotion. So I can relate to that. Same with punk or heavy metal. I do not listen to those styles often nowadays. But I know why they moved me when I was younger. Their roughness appealed to me in a similar way the roughness of raw African-American blues, rural or urban, appealed to me.

Regarding electronic beats: Sly Stone, George Clinton and Prince used drum machines and mixed them with live instruments. Jeff Beck recorded the electronica-influenced "Who Else!" after having recorded his tribute "Crazy Legs" to Gene Vincent with a rockabilly live band. The list could go on and on.

And the wide-spread thinking that a good hip-hop or electronica track is easily produced at the click of a button comes from people who never tried it themselves (you did not claim that but I find it important to mention). Sampling can really be an art form. The way you are writing shows that you never listened to complex productions like those of e.g. DJ Shadow or the Dust Brothers (e.g. "Paul's Boutique", the second Beasty Boys album), complex collages of many "tessera". Or complex techno or house or ambient productions like those of Ritchie Hawtin or Aphex Twin.

You do not have to like everything. I do not like everything. Absolutely not. I come from a strictly classical household as well. My parents hate(d) rhythmical pop music*). But I have to admit that some music at least moves the lower parts of my body. If I allow them to be moved.

*) At least my mother admits having liked "Yesterday" (she was 28 years old in 1965).

EDIT: Now off to the weekly blues session for some strictly live music.
    Ill be the first to admit im cumputer illiterate is this "quote" Im still trying to figure out how to use a toaster!

User Info Menu

Where will jazz be in x years.-reply_with_quote-jpg-png

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rickco
    I fully confess, Im out of my depth because my reaction to music has been always fundamentally starting from a rhythm perspective. Im not criticizing genres or styles But Im from a time when you did "the dreaded metronome drills" till you were silly but it was for developing your inner clock. For me the best version of any music relies on that human time that cant be reproduced. For my era great big bands (for instance) swung off the drummer who connected with the lead trumpet and the bass and everyone else also got sucked up into that organic rhythm machine. Ive applied that concept in all music Ive played and my choices for listening. So ,yeah its a generational thing and is fundamental to something that would be jazzy for me regardless of style. Pretty sure Blakey wouldnt dig it either
    Ron Carter was more concerned about "explicit lyrics" than sampled or programmed beats.

Others did not mind doing a little bit of hip-hop either

(We're still speaking of the 1990ies here.)

User Info Menu

think the word "Ohio" is funny.
    It is. Ohioioioioioioioioioio

hee hee

User Info Menu

Jazz in the early 1900's was the music of the day dominating clubs,concert halls and radio.The rise of rock music and the inacessibility of bebop to the public started the slow steady decline of jazz.According to Billboard last year,jazz accounted for one percent of streaming and about two percent digital album sales.If you delve deeper into that,the majority of those user's are 65 years plus in age.As dinosaur's like myself die off in the next 10 to 25,jazz is going to take a big hit.It will always be around,but it will be like musicians today who play renaissance or baroque music to a tiny select crowd.I'm sure there will always be improvisational music but whether you will be able to call it jazz is another matter.