The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey!

I do my best to check 3-4 times the written score before making it "final" and letting go.
    Then later (often embarrassingly later) I keep finding all sorts of mistakes.
    Fortunately, there are often errors in other (respected) scores too. edit: comfortingly

My routine for checking is:
    notes
    fingerings
    dynamic markings
    everything else
    notes again...

But still, can't notice all of the typos or even wrong notes.

Any wise words?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It's an asymptotic process. I check visually and with playback by the software -- and invariably overlook something.

Usually, playing through it with a band in rehearsal wrings out some more errors.

The chart is done when two sidemen who love notation are energetically arguing about whether something should be left as is vs changed. Pick one and you're done, at least until some other player comes in and finds some other fault with the chart.

Pet peeve: on a gig somebody hands out a new version of a chart that has been rehearsed. What could possibly go wrong, quite aside from the fact that your pencilled in notes are on the other chart?

Well, there are typos when reading a book. The old times, it was 2 or 3 mistakes in 500 pages. Nowadays, there are more. At least in e-books. Much more.
    But musical scores.. there have always been mistakes that are obvious. Even wrong notes(rare). But mostly some detail.

When I go through something and try to make it final, I know in advance it will have a few. But dunno how to avoid them.

Giving a score to read by a friend helps but not 100%.

Checking by myself over and over, not 100%.