The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

One Hour documentary on Miles Davis's medical history examined by a coroner.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

It’s listed as unavailable.

Of course, you know, this stuff is right up my alley.

He had a lot of health issues, the most interesting of which is that he is supposed to have had sickle cell disease. I doubt he had full SCD, as the average life expectancy in the 60’s was 40, and he lived to 65. He might have had sickle trait, which is milder.

User Info Menu

The link works fine here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I use

Windscribe - Free VPN and Ad Block

Many others available

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff

Of course, you know, this stuff is right up my alley.

He had a lot of health issues, the most interesting of which is that he is supposed to have had sickle cell disease. I doubt he had full SCD, as the average life expectancy in the 60’s was 40, and he lived to 65. He might have had sickle trait, which is milder.
    Sickle Cell disease is wicked. My daughter, who passed away at age 24, dealt with this disease. The intensity of the pain, during a sickle cell crisis, is likened to jamming a sheet of glass through your thigh to the bone, then grating it up and down - for hours! Hospital staff, not accustomed to assisting a patient in the throes of a sickle cell crisis, cannot believe the intensity of the pain and sometimes withhold adequate pain medication. My wife and I had to be constant advocates at our daughter’s bedside.

If Miles suffered from this disease it would have been a miracle he was able to function as he did. My wife has the trait, and experiences no symptoms. I have Thalassemia anemia, and similarly, have no symptoms that bear any resemblance to those my daughter suffered.

AKA
    Last edited by AKA; 11-02-2023 at 11:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Just from experiences I've heard from people that are/were close to me, he didn't lead a healthy lifestyle.
    My ex girlfriend went to a party with her then musician BF, and Miles was there, and he asked them to do a menage a trois with them. They turned him down.

My sister worked at the Fillmore East back in her hippie days, and she had to clean the bathroom or something, and Miles was there snorting coke like it was going out of style.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Just from experiences I've heard from people that are/were close to me, he didn't lead a healthy lifestyle.
    My ex girlfriend went to a party with her then musician BF, and Miles was there, and he asked them to do a menage a trois with them. They turned him down.

My sister worked at the Fillmore East back in her hippie days, and she had to clean the bathroom or something, and Miles was there snorting coke like it was going out of style.

Being in constant pain from his physical ailments would certainly account for his ever increasing use of drugs that would dull the pain.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AKA
    Sickle Cell disease is wicked. My daughter, who passed away at age 24, dealt with this disease. The intensity of the pain, during a sickle cell crisis, is likened to jamming a sheet of glass through your thigh to the bone, then grating it up and down - for hours! Hospital staff, not accustomed to assisting a patient in the throes of a sickle cell crisis, cannot believe the intensity of the pain and sometimes withhold adequate pain medication. My wife and I had to be constant advocates at our daughter’s bedside.

If Miles suffered from this disease it would have been a miracle he was able to function as he did. My wife has the trait, and experiences no symptoms. I have Thalassemia anemia, and similarly, have no symptoms that bear any resemblance to those my daughter suffered.

AKA
    I am sorry to hear about your daughter. Yes it is a terrible disease. Newer DNA-based therapies using CRISPR technology are potentially leading toward a cure for SCD.

FDA considers first CRISPR gene editing treatment that may cure sickle cell | CNN

Quote Originally Posted by Doug B
    Being in constant pain from his physical ailments would certainly account for his ever increasing use of drugs that would dull the pain.
    He says as much in his autobiography. He may have gotten avascular necrosis of the hip from his drug use. He had several hip surgeries in the 1960's which left him with chronic hip pain. He did use a lot of cocaine and other stimulants that can't have done much to relieve the physical pain.

User Info Menu

The beating he took from baton weilding cops in 59 for no reason could be behind his actions afterward to some extent. There is lots of data correlating head trauma to violence and drug abuse.