The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 12 of 12

User Info Menu

I had but seem to have sorted a drip from the shower tap at the side of the temperature selection.
    A bit surprised because the leak seemed to be at the level of the shaft seal, but I'll take the win if it is one!

I thought it was a thermostatic one but I don't see anything fancy in the cartridge that controls the hot/cold water mix. At least it looks like nothing I've ever seen before and a reverse image search came up empty too. Anyone seen one like this? I bought the tap maybe 20y ago:

to all ye plumbers-cartouch-temp-barre-douche-jpg

The bronze-coloured hex piston is in maximum extension here, which corresponds to the coldest setting.

(the cat hair invited itself unnoticed and is not related to either function or the drip :roll: )

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Clearly alien technology. Call NASA!

User Info Menu

Oh, if it's alien I don't even need to bother NASA; in that case it has to be part of a hydrospanner!

User Info Menu

I'm not a plumber... might be the core of a Thermostatic Shower Valve Cartridge

The mechanism of operation for a thermostatic shower valve cartridge involves a combination of temperature control and pressure regulation.
    The cartridge is typically located within the shower valve body and is responsible for controlling both the hot and cold water flows. It consists of several key components, including a thermostatic element, a mixing chamber, and a pressure-balancing mechanism.
    When you turn on the shower, the thermostatic element detects the temperature of the incoming hot and cold water. It then adjusts the proportions of hot and cold water flowing through the cartridge to maintain a consistent, desired temperature.
    The mixing chamber within the cartridge combines the hot and cold water streams. As the hot water temperature rises or falls, the thermostatic element responds by adjusting the amount of hot water allowed to flow into the mixing chamber, thereby maintaining the desired temperature.
    Additionally, the cartridge incorporates a pressure-balancing mechanism. This mechanism ensures that the water pressure remains consistent even if there are fluctuations in the supply. It works by automatically adjusting the flow rates of the hot and cold water to maintain a balanced pressure output.
    (AI ChatBot)

to all ye plumbers-cart1-jpgto all ye plumbers-cart-jpg

User Info Menu

Ahhh, yes, that could be it because I was certain I bought the tap as being thermostatically controlled, and there is indeed something that looks like an additional part that's screwed into the tap body. I see no way to get that out, though.

I'd have to remove the tap from the wall to look inside, it's mounted too close to the fixed glass panel.

I guess this is not going to increase my chances to find a replacement part but we'll see what my contact at the nearest big hardware store says.

User Info Menu

There may be some washers in there than can be replaced.

My recommendation would be to go to the local Ace Hardware. IME they have one of the largest selection of valve cartridges around, and a couple of old dudes named Bob or Jerry that will help you sort it out.

If the guy doesn’t have grey or white hair and a gravelly voice, just go somewhere else.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    My recommendation would be to go to the local Ace Hardware.
    "Local" is going to have to be a very relative concept and require a plane ticket to follow this advice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RJVB
    "Local" is going to have to be a very relative concept and require a plane ticket to follow this advice
    Fixed it.

My recommendation would be to go to the local quincaillerie. They likely have one of the largest selection of valve cartridges around, and a couple of old dudes named Pierre or Guy that will help you sort it out.

If Guy doesn’t have grey or white hair and a gravelly voice, just go somewhere else.

User Info Menu

Fixed it.
    My recommendation would be to go to the local quincaillerie. They likely have one of the largest selection of valve cartridges around, and a couple of old dudes named Pierre or Guy that will help you sort it out.

If Guy doesn’t have grey or white hair and a gravelly voice, just go somewhere else.

Good going on fixing it !!

As far as that grey-haired guy at the hardware store, I'm usually partial to guys named 'Walter' ( Walt ) or 'Vernon' ( Vern )......

: )

User Info Menu

Fixed it.
    Now I'm confused, Jeff. What did you fix? The problem was posted by RJVB. He's in France and you're in Nebraska.

User Info Menu

Lol, he just changed the store and references.

My contact at a hardware store is called Sébastien but the guy in charge of the plumbing department is indeed called Pierre. No idea what kind of hair or voice he has, but as I feared they couldn't help me.
    Then again it's not really a "quincaillerie" of the sort where they have all kinds of assorted bits and pieces in racks or better yet, old wooden drawers. Going to have to find one of those places closer by than my native town in the Netherlands!

User Info Menu

I didn't read and just saw the picture and figured a spare potentiometer fell in your drain